PDA

View Full Version : Total spine Fusion-things you can no longer do

mbeckoff
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Now that I am less than 3 weeks away from surgery, I was wondering what are some things that I will never be able to do again as I am having my back totally fused

Melissa

LynetteG
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Are you being fused from the cervical to the sacrum?

mbeckoff
04-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes I am

Melissa

titaniumed
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Dance the twist.
50 foot ski jumps.
Bungy jumping.

I think that covers it. What am I missing?
Ed

LindaRacine
04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
C1 to the pelvis?

mbeckoff
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Dance the twist.
50 foot ski jumps.
Bungy jumping.

I think that covers it. What am I missing?
Ed

I do not know. That is why I am asking you

Melissa

mbeckoff
04-13-2010, 11:10 PM
C1 to the pelvis?

Yes that is what my surgeon told me

titaniumed
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Im asking some of the other full fusion patients to chime in.

They will tomorrow, its late.
Ed

LindaRacine
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes that is what my surgeon told me

You might want to check. That's a pretty unusual fusion, and the doctor usually does a lot of counseling with the patient prior to surgery. It will mean that you will no longer be able to drive. I've known of two people who had C1 to pelvis fusions. Neither are very happy campers.

--Linda

mbeckoff
04-13-2010, 11:19 PM
You might want to check. That's a pretty unusual fusion, and the doctor usually does a lot of counseling with the patient prior to surgery. It will mean that you will no longer be able to drive. I've known of two people who had C1 to pelvis fusions. Neither are very happy campers.

--Linda

I will check with his nurse tomorrow

Melissa

titaniumed
04-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, that is long... Check first, because there are no "active" posters that are that long.
Ed

titaniumed
04-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Melissa

In Feb, you mention your surgeon wanted to fuse you T1 down. Big difference. Anyway, there are a few of us T2-pelvis posties that are active here.

Ed

mbeckoff
04-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Melissa

In Feb, you mention your surgeon wanted to fuse you T1 down. Big difference. Anyway, there are a few of us T2-pelvis posties that are active here.

Ed

That is correct then. What can not be done if you are fused T1 down?

Melissa

titaniumed
04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I have come through with flying colors.... You are making me think here. I have adapted that well. I am extremely pleased with my outcome.

I do have to stretch to clip my toenails. Its tough in the immediate days after surgery, after time all aspects of recovery will improve. Painting your toenails will be tough. Accessing your feet takes a little effort. I can put my ski boots on, its not easy, but I'm perfecting the method as time passes.

If I sit in a chair, and have to look behind me a full 180 degrees, I cannot do that, I have to get up and turn around. If I'm in the car, I can see out the right rear window. Driving is not a problem.

Look at the pics in this thread.
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10303

I use a long shoe horn. I donít need it, but it makes putting shoes on easier.

No contact sports.

You might ask your surgeon if he will go 1 or 2 levels lower. T2 or T3 down, and see what he says.
I tried, and my surgeon would not do it, but you "should" ask. It will give one more level of mobility in your neck. There are a few of us T2-pelvis posties here that are active, T1-pelvis is not that common.

In general, you should not bend over. You learn to squat to pick things up off the floor. Its no biggie, you get used to it. Now, after 26 months, I CAN bend over to pick things up, but donít.

Hope this helps.
Ed

foofer
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey Ed,

When you squat to retrieve floor items, do your knees bother you? I think you mentioned somewhere in another thread that now that your back is great, your knees are complaining, and I have found that Body-Parts-taking-turns to be a syndrome of sorts. You fix one thing and another part stands up to be counted.

Amy

ADMoul
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Amy, I like that "body parts taking turns" expression. My knees have been very unhappy since my surgery. Am doing a lot more walking and do squat to get things down low occasionally. My knees have taken a beating from standing and teaching instrumental music for 30 years so they're hurting right now. Am hoping if I can do more exercise/walking in the pool, it might not be so bad.

loves to skate
04-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Regarding squatting, don't do it. You can go down on one knee and it accomplishes the same thing and is not hard on your knees. Take it from a 70 year old and advice from my spine surgeon.
Sally

Lorraine 1966
04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
As you can see I am fused from T4 to L3 and there is nothing I cant do. Honestly I have sat here and thought for a long time to try and help you I can do everything. Now I am older they may be a little harder to do but never the less I can still do it all, hang on I cant do sit ups.

Lorraine.

mbeckoff
04-14-2010, 09:03 PM
I did speak to his nurse today and it is T1 down

Melissa

Vali
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I did speak to his nurse today and it is T1 down

Melissa

Phew! Lucky! You kind of scared the crap out of me on the C1-Pelvis!

I feel everything is do-able, within reason and within pain limitations. Go easy!;)