Hooray -!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray -!!!

I finally heard from my surgeon's nurse today and I have a surgical date.

It is May 4th. I cannot wait. I am in so much pain and am taking so many pain pills . I am so constipated because of the pain pills and because of the fact that I cannot eat fruit or bran cereal that I had been eating all along.
    My GI Doctor wants me to try Miralex so i will do that . Now I have better go back working on my to do list that I slacked off on before when my surgery was canceled.

Thanks everyone for cheering me up before

Melissa

great, Melissa...so happy for you that you will have the surgery you have so wanted......and that must mean that all is going well for your bloodwork...

it's weird...i dont get constipated from oxycontin or hydrocodone.....i have one of those stomachs that very little binds up....of course, now that i've said that, when i do have the surgery, i've probably just jinxed myself and will be bound up something awful!
    right now, the pills take away my appetite! Dr L. weighed me today at 94.5 pounds! i cant eat with pain pills!

i hope you reach the pain free life that you so deserve...and that the surgery is exactly what is needed to get you there! fingers crossed that May 4th ushers in a new and wonderful chapter for you!

best regards...
    jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      great, Melissa...so happy for you that you will have the surgery you have so wanted......and that must mean that all is going well for your bloodwork...

it's weird...i dont get constipated from oxycontin or hydrocodone.....i have one of those stomachs that very little binds up....of course, now that i've said that, when i do have the surgery, i've probably just jinxed myself and will be bound up something awful!
      right now, the pills take away my appetite! Dr L. weighed me today at 94.5 pounds! i cant eat with pain pills!

i hope you reach the pain free life that you so deserve...and that the surgery is exactly what is needed to get you there! fingers crossed that May 4th ushers in a new and wonderful chapter for you!

best regards...
      jess
      Thanks Jess for the best wishes and good wishes to you as well

Comment

Fantastic news Melissa, I'm so happy for you. That's not long at all - it will be fantastic when you're pain free.
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Wonderful news Melissa! Very happy to hear your plans are back on track. You did well!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Melissa -- I am so happy for you!!!
            Glenda
            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Melissa--
              What a long road for you! But looks like a light at the end of the tunnel is very near. Congrats! Also, Miralax worked for me when a myriad of other things didn't. Hope it helps. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I just found out that I do NOT have to go back to Charlotte for Pre-Op testing.They will take teh testing from March. That is also good news

Melissa

Comment

Miralax

Congratulations on setting a date for surgery! You're not in limbo anymore - that gave me stability - you can work around an actual date!

If your doctor recommended Miralax as something you can use I would definitely try it. After my second surgery, (because my pain meds were increased) constipation was a huge issue for me and despite 2 Senokot in the am and 2 before bed plus adding Benefiber to my foods and water and drinking a lot I was still constipated. I called my primary care dr.s' nurse to ask for suggestions - she recommended Miralax which I began taking that night and I must say I was a happy camper the next (late) morning

That Miralax is wonderful stuff!
                  Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                  Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                  Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                  A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                  Achieved +70% Correction
                  Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                  New Spine 03/19/2009
                  New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Best Wishes Melissa!

I am so glad you finally have something to work towards. Be calm in these weeks before...
                    You will do great, I know you will and you will be in my prayers!
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Melissa, what a great feeling to have a date to aim for. Just enough time to get things in order and planning finished. I am so glad you will soon get relief from your pain! Blessings to you! Shari B.
                      Shari - 55 years old
                      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                      Post op 13 degree curve.
                      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Melissa,
                        I'm so glad to hear that you are rescheduled so soon. That is great news. I wish you well. I'm going in for a little tuneup on Monday. I still have nerve pain more than two years post-op. We will be house hunting in N. Carolina when I recover. Just wanted you to know that I had my eye out for news of your surgery.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Hi Melissa,
                          I'm so glad to hear that you are rescheduled so soon. That is great news. I wish you well. I'm going in for a little tuneup on Monday. I still have nerve pain more than two years post-op. We will be house hunting in N. Carolina when I recover. Just wanted you to know that I had my eye out for news of your surgery.
                          Sally
                          We love it here in NC. We have been here 3 years this coming July. Where are you looking in NC to move to?

Melissa

Comment

Now I am getting nervous and anxious like I was before. I just have to keep busy and focused .
                            Thanks for all of the good wishes

Melissa

Comment

!!

Hi Melissa,
                              So excited for you. Seems like you have had a tough year and now you will be doing something to ensure a better future for yourself. I was impressed with how you pulled yourself together after your diabetes diagnosis. You got your numbers down, got a new appointment, and I will hope and pray for a happy, pain-free future for you!!

All the best to you,
                              amy
                              Amy
                              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                              Exercising to correct

Comment

Working...
                              X