bulging abdomen after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bulging abdomen after surgery

Has anyone experienced a bulging abdomen as a result of the anterior part of scoliosis surgery? I'm not referring to a hernia. I had a very tight, flat abdomen as a result of breast reconstruction surgery which included a tummy tuck and now after scoli surgery the left front bulges. My incision didn't come around to the front. My doctor says I have to build the muscles back and with time it will flatten. I sure hope so but I would appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and if it did in fact go back to normal eventually.
    Susan

Hi Susan...

What you're referring to is probably an "incisional hernia." It's not a true hernia, but an abdominal wall weakness or defect caused by lack of blood supply to the muscle after abdominal surgery. My understanding is that the problem is permanent. It can be repaired by using a piece of mesh to replace the atrophied muscle, but I think most of the bulges return. Mine did. :-(
    Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Susan
      Yes, I also had a "pot" belly after surgery. It took several months for my belly botton to move back into it's rightful place LOL. However, I still have a buldge on the left
      SandyC

Comment

Mine bulges on the right side. I haven't asked the doctor about it yet. Next visit I will. That's not until December. Theresa
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi

I have noticed the same potbelly or bulge on my left side but I had surgery when I was 14 and just started seeing it after my daughter was born. If I am laying down it is much more prominent. I was starting to think something was wrong with me but it sound just like what you are all describing. Do you think it wasn't noticeable before since I was very thin before baby and now am 138 and 5'6"?
          Kristin

Comment

Mine bulges a bit on the right side--I had anterior and posterior surgery. Haven't asked the doctor about it yet, I kept thinking it would go away, but when I go back I will ask.

Comment

yep - join the bulge club! I've got one following anterior/posterior correction 5 weeks ago. According to my surgeon my body shape will settle down with time & it is perfectly normal!

Comment

Working...
              X