Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home - YAY!!!

Hi everyone,

If you want to see some pictures of what my back looks like now - click on this link http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1563669034

I'm so happy to be home with my sons and my mum, I'm so blessed to have my mother who has been like an angel taking such good care of my sons, and of course now also helping me when needed with food, housework, laundry etc.

Shari - I'm thinking of you as I know it's this Thursday for your surgery. I know you will do fantastic, and it will seem like seconds when you're back on here writing and telling us how fantastic you are doing. I'm excited for you

There is no doubt the build-up before surgery can be so daunting, but it's as quick as the blink of your eyes thank goodness.

I must say the first few days after surgery - particularly the 3rd to 5th days for me, were really hard. But like everyone on here has said, some days you feel like you're getting stronger and doing a little bit more, and then the next day you could feel completely differently - weaker, sadder, etc. But for the most part, I try to take each day as it comes, and keep a very positive attitude. One thing this has taught me is that - everything else in life after this is small stuff. So I will no longer sweat the small stuff, and take each little thing one at a time, deal with it, and move on. I feel like not only is my back stronger, but my whole mentality and outlook in life feels stronger too.

I'm definitely suffering like Laura with the bowel movements, I've tried every single thing, and the best thing does seem to be the magnesium caltrate. However good friends of mine suggseted this herbal pill called "Swiss Kriss" which I'm trying first, if by tomorrow night nothing has happened, then I will take the magnesium caltrate which is sitting in my fridge right now. My stomach feels very bloated and I look pregnant, but it's not too uncomfortable for me in comparison to poor Laura.

So how about the other two musketeers? How are you both doing? I'd love to hear ALL your news etc.

If anyone wants to ask me any questions at all - please don't hesitate. Now that I'm home it's much easier to type on my computer.

Again, thank you thank you thank you everyone on here for helping me so much with your encouragement and words of advice leading up to surgery, it helped me tremendously.

Take care for now,

Lynette.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Lynette you sound great, thank you for all the encouraging words. I love the outlook you have on life. I am going in thinking this is going to be a life experience and you confirmed, it really is altering, but for good.
    I am so glad you are home!!!! Please keep us posted as you continue to heal. Similar to you I was freaking out last week, but a nice calm has set in and I'm excited to get on with it. You have made going into this so much better, thank you Lynette. God Bless and happy healing. Relax.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Lynnette, Congrats on making it home. Just finally getting to your own bed made a huge difference for me. Your pictures are asking for a Password when I click on the link?
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

What a beautiful, straight spine! Thanks for sharing. (I think you have to be registered on facebook to see the pics. You use your facebook password.) Hope the belly/digestive things settle down for you soon. Take care, rest and enjoy being home with your family!

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Congratulations Lynette! I am so glad you are home and doing so well! I do have some questions. I was wondering how you liked UCH and the nursing staff. Also, if you went to rehab how your experience with that was. I am glad you liked Dr. Cronen and am very thankfull that you recommended him to me. My appt. is the 21st and I am hoping to schedule surgery the first week of June if possible. I cannot wait to be all finished with this! Keep up the good work!
          Janet
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Welcome 'home' Lynette. Good to read that you are doing well. Please take it easy in these first few weeks. Best wishes of a smooth ecovery.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Today I hurt a lot - I think I did too much therapy exercises and cut back a little on my Percocet - which I know at this early stage is a dumb move.

Janet - for the most part UCH was great - just had a couple of experiences I wasn't too happy with. When I was in ICU this aggressive woman came in telling me she was there to take a chest xray. She then proceeded to slam an xray film under my back and I of course screamed out in pain. She then said well where was your surgery? I was completely shocked that she didn't know so I proceeded to tell her - spinal fusion and you didn't know? A couple of hours later my friend said my sheets were soaked in blood because that woman had unhooked one of my drain bags when she slammed the film under my back. I reported her to everyone that I could including my surgeon.

Then when I was moved to the 5th floor a couple of nurses there were quite negligent and I cried myself to sleep a few times. HOWEVER, the rehab 6th floor was outstanding, beautiful private rooms and excellent care from all the nurses and rehab personnel.

Okay - off to try to find a comfy spot and see if I can sleep more than a couple of hours at a time tonight. Nite nite.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette,

So glad that you are home and that your mum is there to help you.You are very lucky to have her

Melissa

Comment

Lynette

Congrats! You made it! Take it slow....

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

congratulations, Lynette...a Musketeer comes home! so glad for you that you came thru and now can be home in your own bed...hope you can find a comfy corner....and that the pain diminishes as your healing proceeds...

thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery...

jess

Comment

I bet it's good to be back in your own bed, Lynnette! Take care.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks, Lynette. That is what I wanted to know. Many people I know have said great things about St Joe's but I do not know how much longer he will be practicing there because he said he was going to start going to tgh instead soon. Hope your feeling better today!
                        Janet
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Welcome home, Lynette! Your boys must be ecstatic to have their mom back home. Sorry you had some bumps while in the hospital, but glad you're past that and doing well at home now.
                          Glenda
                          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Lynette,

Hope all is going well at home

You must be having great weather!!

Are you able to get out yet?

Here in NC it is wonderful except for my son's allergies.

Now I have 3 weeks left and need to figure out the best use of my time

Melissa

Comment

First Time Post

Lynette,
                              I've been reading everyone's posts and feel like I know you. This is my first time to reply. Congratulations on your new straight back. I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Lenke Nov. 1. I'm extremely nervous, which I guess is normal. I will be fused T-4 to sacrum. I love your positive attitude and hope I can be the same way after my surgery. Good luck with a rapid recovery.
                              Karen
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X