I need to know something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know something!

I'm trying to know the relationship between the unrecoverable of the intervertebra space and the age and degrees. I want to know if you are taller in the morning and how much. I supossed that if its is true, then the concave side must to gain some height and remains for a time, so it would not seems to be absolutely unrecoverable as some articles seems to say.

Thanks in advance.

Attached is a table from the book written by Christina Lehnert-Schroth titled: Three-Dimensional Treatment for Scoliosis: A Physiotherapeutic method for Deformities of the Spine (page 25, 7th edition). The table shows the relationship between cobb angle and shortening of the upper body (in cm).

Most people are a little taller in the morning than the evening.

I'm 60 years old. Last year when I began bracing I measured a stable 4'9" (morning or evening). One year later I'm a stable 4'11" (morning and evening). First thing in the morning I'm sometimes standing 5' ... especially when I avoid smoking the day before ;-) In my youth - stood 5'2 1/2 w/curves.

So - it would appear some postural rehabilitation is going on in my case.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Last edited by mamamax; 04-11-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

flrec - Here is another reference for you - published by Martha Hawes, I note she also recovered 2" in height (in adulthood):

http://scoliosisjournal.com/content/4/1/27

She is very open to friendly conversation should you choose to email her.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
        Here is another reference for you - published by Martha Hawes, I note she also recovered 2" in height (in adulthood):

http://scoliosisjournal.com/content/4/1/27
        She recovered 2 centimeters in height per that article.

2 cm = 0.8 inches
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My height before my surgeries would fluctuate about 3 inches. My x-rays while laying down, especially the ones taken in the morning, looked pretty good. It seemed like my cobbs were cut in half.

Recent clinical studies reveal success in reducing pain and improving Cobb angle with exercise, manipulation, and other nonsurgical approaches in patients, including adults [85-90].

I've experianced this. Its how I delayed my surgeries over the years. I went as long as I could.

Mamamax
          I was wondering, with your Spinecore brace, are you getting any adjustments from a Chiro?

Also, I don’t know if you wore a hard brace of some sort in the past, but how comfortable is the Spinecore now that you have worn it for a year? Do you wear it to bed?

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            She recovered 2 centimeters in height per that article.

2 cm = 0.8 inches
            Thanks .. I did read that wrong. From the article:
            Increase in height

The patient's height increased by 2 cm between 1990 (65.70 inches; 167.64 cm) and 2005 (66.5 inches; 169.67 cm).
            Last edited by mamamax; 04-11-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all! I'm preparing to something like a friendly (I hope that) debate with some physios and doctors and discs recovery seems to me to be a crucial point. I think that anyone who reads scientific articles like wrote by Sastre (Fed Machine) about that, would conclude that after growth, an inexorable disease of those discs occurs, at least in great curves. It's really terrific what they said. But theories should to match with experiences. It's great to me to know about that. It give me some hope.
              Ed, 3 inches! Its so much that I could ever expect, anyway you must to be a very tall man.
              mamamax, I forgetted to thanks you your transcription from that book talking about cobb angle. I must to take up again that theme.
              I'll write to Martha Hawes, 2cmts is less than 2 inches as Sharon said, but is really an incredible improvement. If I could do it with my daughter.. I made a trigonometric calculus once, to know how much taller could be she with 0º and I get 3 cmts. It’s so aproximated with that table and more if we take in accoount that my daughter is not tall. You have really a great information, thanks for share it.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Mamamax
                I was wondering, with your Spinecore brace, are you getting any adjustments from a Chiro?

Also, I don’t know if you wore a hard brace of some sort in the past, but how comfortable is the Spinecore now that you have worn it for a year? Do you wear it to bed?

Ed
                Hi Ed - No, I don't receive any adjustments from a chiropractor (other than the brace adjustments every three months by Dr. Lamantia).

Never wore any other type of brace so I can't compare it to any other brace type. I wear the adolescent model.

I don't wear the brace while sleeping, but have been told I could If I wanted. I tried it a couple of times but found myself taking it off in my sleep!

I consider the brace comfortable, comparing it to the pain I experienced before using it. I wash the brace by hand, my thinking was that I could extend the life of the straps. That worked, and at the one year mark, they did not have to be replaced. Also have never used bleach on the straps, which as I understand it can shorten their lifespan. Also at the one year mark I have noticed that I can expand my ribs on inhale ... something I could not do when I began.

I have come across a 26-year old adult woman who is bracing in Germany, using the Cheneau-Brace from Rahmouni in Stuttgart (along with Schroth). Her results are quite impressive. Post # 54: http://www.fixscoliosis.com/threads/...coliosis/page6

Really wish I spoke German, looks like a lot of information can be found on adult bracing in the German forum (www.skoliose-info-forum.de) While they do have an English speaking section, it seems quite limited.

Comment

Hi flerc
                  i dont think 2 cm is much of anything, to be honest!

when i get up in the morning, i am in more pain and am stiff from not moving...i probably am shorter than later in the day...i have lost 2 inches in height from my scoli...my surgeon tells me if i have the surgery i would get those 2 inches back...i am not tall at all...down to 5'3 now...but the surgery usually straightens the back, thus the added inches...

i see my surgeon in Manhattan tomorrow to ask him about minimal invasive for lumbar....i know he went to the seminar Dr Anand held in NYC last fall...but as of now, i dont know of anyone in Manhattan doing the new method (using spacers instead of cages, 3 tiny incisions on side, etc)...and i sure dont know of anyone doing it who takes my insurance...Dr Anand does not take it....

best regards
                  jess

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                    mamamax, I forgetted to thanks you your transcription from that book talking about cobb angle. I must to take up again that theme.
                    I'll write to Martha Hawes, 2cmts is less than 2 inches as Sharon said, but is really an incredible improvement. If I could do it with my daughter.. I made a trigonometric calculus once, to know how much taller could be she with 0º and I get 3 cmts. It’s so aproximated with that table and more if we take in accoount that my daughter is not tall. You have really a great information, thanks for share it.
                    You are welcome flerc - I think you would like the Schroth book & the one written by Martha Hawes. Both have lots of valuable information in them. When you write to Martha you might ask her if you can get a copy of her memoir as well - it is called "Unwinding." Wishing you and your daughter all the very best!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

i see my surgeon in Manhattan tomorrow to ask him about minimal invasive for lumbar....i know he went to the seminar Dr Anand held in NYC last fall...but as of now, i dont know of anyone in Manhattan doing the new method (using spacers instead of cages, 3 tiny incisions on side, etc)...and i sure dont know of anyone doing it who takes my insurance...Dr Anand does not take it....

jess
                      Will be looking forward to hearing what you find out, Jess, about the new surgery techniques on lumbar curves.
                      34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                      Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Want to know how tall your daughter would be without scoliosis? Have her stand with her arms straight out to the side. Then, measure from fingertip to fingertip.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mamamax

Its good that you found a method that helps with pain. I wish I could have tried a spinecore years ago.

Use the translator function from Google.
                          http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#de|en|

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                            Want to know how tall your daughter would be without scoliosis? Have her stand with her arms straight out to the side. Then, measure from fingertip to fingertip.
                            That doesn't work with Marfans patients. The armspan is usually greater than the height. It is a diagnostic criterion.

Any kid on here with scoliosis should have Marfans ruled out.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                              Hi flerc
                              i dont think 2 cm is much of anything, to be honest!

when i get up in the morning, i am in more pain and am stiff from not moving...i probably am shorter than later in the day...i have lost 2 inches in height from my scoli...my surgeon tells me if i have the surgery i would get those 2 inches back...i am not tall at all...down to 5'3 now...but the surgery usually straightens the back, thus the added inches...

best regards
                              jess
                              Mmmmm... what strange. Moreover, her curve is very large.. I think that table is right, because is similar to my calculus, but of course it was an approximation I did measuring her height (less than you, around 156 cmts) and her back. I'll measure her arms as LindaRacine said.
                              That's the technique you said? http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6837904/claims.html It could reduce degrees in a permanent way? In Spain they are replacing all the disc by one artificial.
                              Thanks and tell please what the doctors says you.

Comment

Working...
                              X