needs fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needs fusion

I haven't been on here in a long time! for those remembering us. just wanted to say my 13 year old daughter will be getting a spinal fusion-lumbar aug 4th! i can't beleive this is happening.

I know how hard it is to get your head around this first hand. Sorry your dd needs surgery. I have two with scoliosis - one had surgery in Feb, she is 16, and the other has been on the watch and wait list - she's 19.

I thought surgery was the worst possible thing - we were so scared, but it went very well and she just past 2 months post op - all is well and she is very happy with the results.

It was hard, but in hindsite the hardest part was the time leading up to surgery. After surgery every day showed more and more improvements.

I will pass on one warning - it's about school - since your dd's surgery is in Aug. The hardest thing we have encountered is missed school and the amount of work she needs to complete. We preparded - meeting with teachers long before her absence to prepare. We had homebound tutoring in place which did help, but in the long run it is the individual teachers that make or break it. Some of dd's teachers understood and didn't bog her down with busy work - others wanted every paper done in class the whole 6 weeks she was out. She is still trying to catch up - and I think that she will say the surgery part was a breeze - the school part has been the hardest for her.

I'm sorry you have a long wait, but reading though this forum was one way I calmed myself down when the fear was closing in.

Best to you both
    Dee
    Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
    Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
    Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
    X