Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest update from Lynette in hospital

Hi Everyone,

Its definitely been a rough few days, but each day is always slightly better than the last. I get myself up to the bathroom on my own, had a bowel movement, and have been doing 3 hours of physical therapy today and yesterday. I can put my brace on now also. I now understand what everyone meant about sitting being painful afterward, but I find if I wear my brace then it's much more comfortable to sit. I do a lot of walking which feels great. The few most painful things for me are my right quad is very sore, and today my left scapula started to hurt a lot.

I was pretty calm the last couple of days prior to surgery, then when I was in pre-op hooked up to my IV, I started getting extremely nervous and started to sob. My friend Paula kept saying give her some happy meds, then finally after everything was sighned off, I was in happyland. The anticipation of this was the worst, however, now it's all done, I'm ecstatic. I feel like a new woman, no longer deformed, straighter and taller

You all on here comforted me so much, and encouraged me with the right words. God bless all of you. Anyone getting ready for surgery now, believe me, if I can get through this then you all can too. I was such a whining baby

Dr. Cronen is an outstanding surgeon and has visited me every single day to check on me - I'm so pleased I chose him as my surgeon.

Anyway, I'm planning on going home on Sunday and will give you more updates then.

XX
    OO
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Great to hear your doing so well Lynette!

Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing so well Lynette

Melissa

Comment

Ah, the joy of having this surgery over and done with! It's wonderful. Lynette, you sound wonderful. Very interesting to hear the brace helps with the sitting. I would stand to eat when I was in hospital.

So I gather by happy-land, you got a pre-op? I was given a tablet and I was asleep within minutes. Did you see the operating room? I'm glad I didn't. I was calm that morning, and on my own but I am grateful for the pre-op, it made it so easy.

Home on Sunday Lynnette, back to your boys! It's over quickly, after all the build-up, isn't it?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So happy your doing well and are going home soon. Im also glad you are happy with Dr. Cronen. I wanted to know ho happy you are with University Community Hospital and the nursing staff. Also, did you go to rehab and how happy were you with that? Sorry to bombard you with questions, just wondering if I should choose UCH. Thanks!
          Janet
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Lynette - you bring tears to my eyes you sound so good. I know how nervous you were so this is so awesome. Thank you for being so strong and sharing what it is like right before and what it is now. I am 6 days from surgery and you are such an inspiration for me. Seeing you go through this has given me encouragement that I can do this. I can't wait to be on the other side like you are. Blessings everyday as you heal. Shari B.
            Shari - 55 years old
            Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
            Post op 13 degree curve.
            Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
            2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
            Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
            www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Great to read that you are doing so well Lynette. Keep up the good work. Once you get home, you'll probably feel even better because you will be more comfortable in your own surroundings and with your boys! Yay!
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Lynette, You sound great. Isn't it amazing to have that all behind you after the agony of worrying about it for so long? Best wishes for a comfortable trip home and good days ahead!

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Glad you're doing so well and will be going home soon. Your boys will be so excited to have you home!! I'll bet they'll be excellent nurses for you too.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                  X