Tentative dates set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tentative dates set

Hello all -- I've been quietly watching from the sidelines and reading with interest all of your posts for a while now. Your support for each other and your willingness to share your experiences, both good and bad, is so encouraging and informative. I feel like I know many of you already. Was so excited when I saw the threads from Lynette, Melissa and Laura that all has gone so well for them.

My husband and I had a really good visit with my surgeon yesterday and I went ahead and scheduled tentative dates for my surgeries. The first surgery is scheduled for May 17 and the second is scheduled for May 20. For the most part, I am at peace about the decision. However, I know there will continue to be some anxious times. It is truly a big surgery and something I wish I didn't need to do. I guess my biggest fears are the "what if's".

Next steps are pre-op and obtaining approval from my insurance provider for the surgery.

Glenda
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Hi Glenda - A good step getting the date set. One month out is just enough to plan but not so long as to obsess. Mine has been a 2 month wait, I am one week out now. It seemed like too long as that is all I think about.
    Good luck to you in your prep. I can't wait to be on the other side.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Glenda, good luck with your pending surgery. Your fusion sounds very much like mine, I was T10-pelvis anterior the first day, posterier the second. Accept that the first couple days are going to be rough...after that each day gets better.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Rich
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
      A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
      Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
      Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Hi Glenda, congratulations! Where in Florida do you live? I live near Tampa. Hoping to find out in 2 weeks my date. Hoping to do surgery in about 8 weeks if possible while my mom is on vacation and can help me before summer school starts and she goes back to work.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Good news, Glenda,

Now is your time to ask for any and all support that you may need. I'm very excited for you!

Sounds like you feel good about your surgeon and your family is behind you. Please keep us posted, so we can be there for you.

Amy
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Congrats for making the decision, Glenda. I'm glad you only have a month to wait. Just enough time to organise everything but not too long. In the meantime, ask questions. Anything that pops into your head, even if it's in the middle of the night.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glenda

You should be able to find out about insurance approval through your Doctors office.... They will know shortly....

Congrats on your decision....
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments! I looked forward to signing on the forum this morning to check out what had transpired during the night.

Our residence is in Tallahassee. My surgery will be at Emory Orthopaedics and Spine Hospital in Atlanta. My son and his family live in Atlanta so I'll be able to have his support. My husband has been unbelievably supportive throughout this entire process. We have a second home in the NE GA mountains, about two hours from Atlanta, so my plan right now is to recuperate in the mountains where the summers are much cooler than in FL. I have a church home and good friends in both places so there'll be folks around to give my husband some relief when I get home. I've also had friends offer to come to Atlanta to help. So with you all on the forum too, I feel surrounded by support. I took note of the "midddle of the night" availability of forum friends.

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I don't foresee any issues with it, but like I said, I'm a "what-ifer" so I'll be glad to get the go ahead from them.

Did any of you have a pain in the upper part of your leg at I guess it's the hip joint? It feels like it catches, especially during the night. That's one pain I didn't mentioned to the dr.

Thanks again to all of you!!

Glenda
                Glenda
                Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Glenda, best wishes on your impending surgery. I also had that hip pain but it appeared after the surgery. I was prescibed Endep for it and it was gone after 3 doses. Hope you are not in too much pain! Best wishes and have a good weekend!
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Glenda--
                    Glad to have you here. It sounds like you have an amazing support system and a wonderful place to recover. Yes, I too had lots of hip pain before surgery. That side is still the tightest but nothing like before surgery. Hopefully, that will be gone! Good luck. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                    X