View Full Version : Another drug-induced update

04-05-2010, 02:54 AM
It's 3:25am. Sorry I haven't responded sooner to all your lovely messages. At the moment I'm in room 505 - I think? On 5th floor. I'll be moving to the 6th floor either Mon/Tue - not sure which. My day basically consisits of getting through each hour with as little pain as pos. I sleep, I drink fruit juice or eat fruit or crackers (no real appetite yet), get my pain drugs (happy drugs) then sleep again. I had some progress yesterday and sat up and walked a couple of circles in my room. I also do exercises several times a day in bed. Although I have a lot of pain, and it's very hard to get comfortable, I feel taller and straighter. My surgeon said there was minimal bleeding through surgery, although afterwards i lost some blood, so got 2 units yesterday. Also my surgeon had never seen anyone sit up straight after surgery like I did (hypnosis perhaps?). In typical Lynettie style as soon as I came round from surgery I was asking a million questions :). I'll check in again soon when I feel up to it!f

04-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Lynette-- it is wonderful to hear from you! You sound really good, and not terribly garbled. It does get better every day! That's the exciting thing about early recovery-- you can definitely tell the difference each day. Keep us posted when you can, and know that you-- and the others who just had their surgeries-- are in our thoughts and prayers. Gentle hugs, Susie

04-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the other side!!!
I'm so happy your surgery went well, and I hope you feel better and better!!

04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
You sound great.How many inches did you gain?

Continue to feel better every day


loves to skate
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM

So glad you made it to the other side. It will be tough for a few days but will get better and better.

Take care, Sally

04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Lynette!
It's great that you're doing your own posting...WOW! Am I ever impressed. 3:25 am :D Just remember to rest when you can and don't overdo it - there's plenty of time for that when you get home!

Take care and update as you're able!
Thinking of you...

04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Oh Lynette you sound good. You are giving me such encouragement for my surgery next week. I know how nervous you were, and look at you now. I know it is hard and painful, but you made it and you're doing it. I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to get to that side of things. Thanks for sharing what your day is like as I have been wondering about that too. Keep asking your questions and take really good care of yourself. Way to go and congrats on your progress!
Thanks again for taking time to share updates.

04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
So good to get your good report. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Will look forward to hearing from you again when you're up to it.:)

04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
You asked questions as soon as you woke?:D You needed more drugs girl! ;)

Seriously, you sound great for just a few days out. I remember how hard it was to get comfortable, but that will improve outta sight once you're out of that hospital bed and into your own, I promise!

04-05-2010, 09:58 PM

So happy to hear your voice. You may not recognize me as I was not posting much during your pre-surgery months, but I surely feel like I know you. Feels like you may have spilled over the dam of hard times and now it's all moving forward to a better place. Yeah!!

Can't wait to witness your recovery.
Sleep well,

green m&m
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Lynette you seem to be doing pretty well, I wish you a smooth recovery!

04-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone,

today was a very rough day. I did progress though, I have no catheter now so I walk to the bathroom, and I walked down the corridor. They have now removed my drains and IV. So the next step will be when there's a bed availale I'll be going to re-hab. The pain was sooo bad today, I think that's because I'm now on oral medication only (no more magic button), plus I just got my period, and there has been no bowel movement yet. Sorry to be so graphic but I think that's why I'm hurting so much. I'll try to get some sleep now. Hopefully a less painful day today. Nite nite. XX

04-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Oooh you poor thing. Sometimes they have to fiddle with your meds to get it right, once the IV has gone. I hope your pain will be better controlled today.

04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Glad you are doing well. I see Dr Cronen in 2 weeks. Hopefully we will set a date! Good luck with your recovery.

04-06-2010, 06:39 PM

That switch to oral meds is so tough. Its one of the hard parts...

Hang in there, things do get better.

04-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Lynette, sounds like your making great progress!! Hang in there, you'll keep feeling better every single day...you may not think so each day but look back after a week and you'll see how far you've come.

As far as a bowel movement, I have to say that's been one of my hardest things (no pun intended!) to get through. I've been taking Collace which doesn't seem to do much...had a suppository in the hospital that worked...came home and got plugged up again...took some Milk of Magnesia and that seemed to help some but got plugged up again. I'm now drinking Citrucell 2 times per day and that is working like a charm! I think most of us that have been through this surgery have dealt with this and I agree its one of the worst parts. The meds continue to wreak havik on the bowels!


04-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Magnesium citrate is the bomb. Just in case....

Once I was off meds, all my problems ceased.


04-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks Ed...I think the Magnesium Citrate is the active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia...that worked well for me the first time or two but seemed to loose a bit of its potency. I'm sure coming off the drugs will help the most...I've been cutting back and its already getting better!

Thanks for the support Ed!


04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
So glad you're on the mend. Now you can stop worrying and start healing - and a few inches taller probably to boot! I'm a teensy bit jealous actually....good luck and keep doing your exercises.