Brace wearers and shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace wearers and shoulder pain

Any of you post-ops that are or have been in the brace had trouble with shoulder blade pain? I am so happy to be rid of all of my pre-op pain, it's like a miracle. But, at the end of the day, my shoulders are screaming and it seems like it's worse right where the top of the brace falls. I know someone suggested keeping shoulders back and have been trying that, but those muscles are hurting. I am pretty active, up and around, doing lots of walking, etc. It's not like skin irritation or anything, it's deep in the muscles. Even thought about calling my massage guy to see if he could help. I've got another 2 months to go in this brace so would be happy for any suggestions. Now's when I wish we had that hot tub!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Brace pain

Hi Anne
    I don't have shoulder blade pain but I have numbness in both groin areas and burning pain in my left anterior thigh. My surgeon's nurse said that this is caused by the brace and will go away when I stop wearing it. Oddly, this is the worst pain I have from my surgery. Have you tried heating pad or the heat wrap you heat in the microwave? I used to use those prior to my surgery when I had "screaming" shoulder blade pain after working all day.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I am interested in these answers as well. I will wearing a brace for 6 months at least

Melissa

Comment

Hi Anne-- whenever I would sit I would rest my arms on top of my walker that I kept in front of me.

Hi Naptown-- I would go crazy if I had to put up with that pain for no reason. Your brace may need trimmed. Tell your Dr. how it is digging into you thighs.

Shari

Comment

Anne--I have never worn a brace but my right shoulder blade is my worst pain right at the same spot. I still actually on the outside have numbness there but I feel like it's deep too. This is probably the spot where my curve was the worst so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not sure if it's connected or not but the right shoulder/top of arm is also bad--some movements I just can't do. I've had massage and hands on pt lady work on it but not much relief. Been given lots of exercises but they just don't seem to help. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks, Janet. Maybe it's not all related to the brace. I asked Dr. Lonner about it at my 6 week check-up and he said it was fatigue in those muscles. I guess the muscles not involved in the surgery have to pick up the slack for those that were and are still healing. I don't mind it so much during the day but at night after the brace is off, it's nasty. Just part of the healing process, I guess.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
            X