PDA

View Full Version : Update on Radiogirl

Radiogirl
04-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi to all of Laura's (Radiogirl's) forum friends and scoli buddies... this is her sister Marsha posting for her. Laura's surgery went well, according to her doctor, and is making progress every day. slowly but surely, she is regaining some strength and mental clarity. The meds they give you, and the anesthesia, really do cloud your brain, and the whole experience has just wiped her out! But today, we are seeing marked improvement. This morning, she was able to sit up on side of bed, walk to the door of her room with a walker, and even brushed her teeth! Huge relief for her! Then sat in a chair for 10 minutes. Occupational Therapist showed her how to put on socks and pants. At the same time, she's been given her first food by mouth -- clear liquids for now -- so she gobbled down a small bowl of jello! Yum! All that excitement really wore her out, so she's now sleeping again -- what she's been doing for 4 days running!

Anyway, thank you all for your good wishes for Laur and, if she feels up to it, I will try to get her to read the forum when she wakes later today. so if you leave messages for her here, she'll see them soon. Thanks to all of you for being there for her -- it's been such a tremendous help having the benefit of your collective experience to draw on. Radiogirl's Sister

mbeckoff
04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Laura,

Way to go!! You are now on the other side and it sounds like you are doing well/

Melissa

ShariMSU
04-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Laura - so glad to hear you are doing well. So good that your sister is taking such good care of you too. Sounds like you are progressing right along. Congrats on a successful surgery and best wishes in recovery.

JenniferG
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Marsha. That's great news! Glad to have another scoli safely over the surgery. Hope the next week or so goes quickly and smoothly for you both.

Radiogirl
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I just signed in and tried to post something, but hit the send button before it was finished... those drugs do the craziest things to you! Oh, and the dreams! They're very entertaining. I wish I would have brought my own pillow to the hospital because theirs are very lumpy and hard. The nursing staff at Barnes Jewish Hospital in st. Louis has been great. That's all I can write for now. Will try to post again soon.

ddb
04-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Good to hear all is well. Laura your on the healing side now and hope an easy recovery for you.

Marsha - I was where you are (not the patient - my dd was) so sending best wishes to you too. This part is also hard for you, but you will see great improvements in the days to come. Take care both of you:)

Dee

Doodles
04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Laura--Great to hear your "voice"! Hang in there; you're doing great. Janet

ADMoul
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
It's wonderful to hear from you, Laura. Every day will get easier. Welcome to the world of "straight backs"! Hugs to you and your sister, too.

RitaR
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Welcome back to the forum Laura. We missed you! And, I concur on those St. Louis pillows. Oops, forgot to warn you about those I guess. I had one pillow out of about 10 I was using (Ha!) that really classified as being called a pillow - the rest of them were sacks of rocks to my notion. Just concentrate on getting well as best/fast as you can and you can go home to your own bed/pillows. That's a wonderful feeling for sure! And, sounds like you are doing just great so keep it up. We're all pulling for you!!!!!

mgs
04-05-2010, 07:02 AM
It's so great to read this!!!

RitaR
04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I know Radiogirl is walking the halls these days and sitting up, so that is encouraging. Keep up the good work Laura!!!!!

titaniumed
04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Radiogirl;95632] Oh, and the dreams! They're very entertaining. QUOTE]

Laura,

Let me guess. Fabio?

LOL
Hang in there!
Ed

huskymom
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Laura, been thinking of you so much since I was just in your shoes 7 weeks ago!
Remember, stay strong and positive! You will be in my shoes in no time!
Have they said yet what your curvature is down to now?
Keep us all updated on your status!
Melissa

Pre-Op = 64 degrees thoracic curve, 56 degrees lumbar curve
Post-Op = 19 degrees thoracic curve, 10 degrees lumbar curve
Grew 3 inches from surgery

RitaR
04-06-2010, 01:31 PM
My wonderful hubby told me I was talking so many times to people in my room who weren't there that he wasn't sure there wasn't someone climbing in the window.....so funny!!!! That's the medicine - how do people use this stuff for fun??? Geesh!

Doodles
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Rita--
My husband told me of a lot of weird things I had to say in the hospital. Then he had to tell me all of it again since I forgot most of the first couple months! Glad you are doing so well. Janet

RitaR
04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Janet: Yup, my hubby too. Most of it I didn't even remember. But, it was weird when I would wake myself up talking to someone or answering someone and then I knew they weren't even in the room. Boy, those meds really do something to a person....Thanks for your well wishes. I'm still having trouble sitting up for a long time, but I can do at lesat 30-45 minutes now. I still take my afternoon nap too. I'm still on all the meds - but I think I can start to decrease some of the Hydrocodone soon little by little.

JenniferG
04-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Rita you sound like you're doing great. To be sitting that long a few days out of surgery, is wonderful. And thinking about cutting down on the meds?

I don't get it!:eek:

RitaR
04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
WEll, I said I was "thinkng" about cutting back on the meds - haven't had much success with that yet. Wonder if other people cut back sooner, about now or when? Also, I finally am wandering around the house without my walker. Yea!!!! My left leg is really weak and seems to want to give out from time to time, like when I go down or upsteps. But, most of Dr. Lenke's work was done on the left side of my thoracic spine, so maybe that explains it. Other than that, I have to say I'm doing remarkably well, I think. But, I have the best hubby in the world as my Chief Nurse - And, no he's not for hire.... hahahaha!!!!

Doodles
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Rita--
You're pretty early to cut back on meds. I know some can. Take it really slow. Sometimes when I have cut back I think I'm absolutely OK with it for even 5 days then whamo--it catches up all at once. Glad you feel well enough to be thinking of it! Janet

Radiogirl
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Quick update: I was released last night from the hospital...one of the questions they asked was if i have steps in my house. I said yes and then they asked if there were railings. I thought for a moment...and said, yes, going up I do...they all stared at me and burst out in laughter saying then, coming down you do too, sweatheart! Ohhh...boy did I feel dumb!

My sister and I are now in the Parkway Hotel attached. Im very sleepy now so must go rest. Just wanted to let you all know it went well, and just try to keep up your sense of humor.
Laura

ShariMSU
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Great news Laura! Sounds like all is going well. To be able to go home too, how exciting. Travel home safely and have a great recovery. You sound very strong! Way to go!

RitaR
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Yea Radiogirl!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!! So, how do you feel out of the hospital finally? We made it to the other side!!!!! I told you we would..... and, although we could have done without the uphill part of it, we're just better being out of the hospital. Wait till you get home - then you'll really be glad to have all your own personal things......Congrats to you, Laura!!! I am so proud of you!!!!!

Doodles
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Laura--
That's wonderful news. You've finished one big part of the journey. We stayed at the Parkway when I went for my 3-month check. Nice place. Keep that good recovery going. Janet

foofer
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Laura,

I love your story of the up-but-not-down railing! So cute.

Add me to the list of all the readers here who are soooo happy to hear you doing well from the other side. I'm looking forward to more posting with your usual enthusiam and humor.

Good work, and congrats to your sister too. She made it through your surgery as well!

Amy

JenniferG
04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes, great news. Keep up the good work Laura.

You'll get plenty of laughs into the future with your railing story.:p

Vali
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
You recent surgery girls are a crackup. Must admit, some of the things you do in hospital are hilarious when your family or friends tell you about them.
To Laura, great to see you are doing so well, keep it up.

Rita, keep that husband close to you. Good male nurses are hard to come by! LOL. With regards to your med question, i quit my pain meds on day 15 post-op.

Best wishes to all post-ops!:)

ADMoul
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Rita,
I took meds down very gradually around week 3-4. Actually kept a chart on the refrig. and wrote down when I took them and kept increasing the hours in between. (Yes, I'm a little anal-retentive.) When I was completely off, I had one day of feeling sort of yucky and kept getting chills and after that I was fine. Everyone is different with their pain tolerance. Don't make yourself miserable, but I started to feel more like myself when I wasn't taking the narcotics. I still occasionally take a muscle relaxant at night. Good luck!
(Laura, make sure those stair rails are there in both directions!:D I loved that!)