First surgery...nervous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First surgery...nervous

My scoliosis was detected in high school by the family/town (very small town) doctor who kept telling my family that it was nothing to worry about. Now at age 29, I have a 75 degree curve at the top and bottom of my spine and have found that I am starting to shrink, so it looks as though my scoliosis is progressing.

I am scheduled to have surgery in January and am so nervous! I've never had any type of surgerical procedure and don't know what to expect. I will have both anterior and posterior incisions.

I am fortunate in that I don't experience much back pain or discomfort yet (some stiffness in the mornings) and do not yet have children. I'd like to have the surgery before having children and hope that I will still be able to be an active mom after all is said and done.

My mother-in-law is a nurse and suggested that I join a gym to get into shape prior to surgery. She says it's good to go into major surgery in good shape to help with the recovery. Has anyone here tried yoga while recovering??? If so, did it work?

Well, I just wanted to say HI to everyone and I hope to be able to get some good information and share stories with people here.

Hi...

Well, you sure chose a doozie for a first surgery! ;-)

I think it's a great idea to get in as good as shape as possible before your surgery. The people I know who have had the quickest recoveries seem to be those who are in the best shape.

You'll need to speak to your surgeon about what you can do during recovery, but I'm guessing that they're going to say no yoga for at least a year.

I know how scary the surgery is. I'd like to encourage you to talk to at least 2-3 referrals from your doctor (people who had very similar procedures). They're the ones who can really tell you what to expect.

Also, you might like to read a new book "Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference." It's available on this website or directly from the author at http://www.curvedspine.com.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouraging words Linda! I appreciate it!

Comment

Hi! I'm also nearly 29 and although I have been recommended waiting for surgery, it is likely I will need it in a few years' time. I would be happy to correspond with you by email (lrmb24@hotmail.com) if you wish to "chat." There are many positive stories on this website, so hopefully you will find the support you need. Take care ~Laura
        30y/o
        Upper curve around 55
        Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi, I am also having surgery for the first time ever. with both incisions. I had scoliosis since a child but nothing was ever done. I got used to the pain but since having my son it has increased, you are soooo lucky you don't have constant pain. I haven't planned my sugery, my next appointment is on fri and we'll talk about when the surgery will be done.
          Good luck on yours

Comment

Just talked with my doctor's office today...am scheduled for an MRI and full physical in early December in preparation for the January surgery.

I understand from my doctor that recovery time increases with age and that I am looking at a 4 to 6 month recovery period. I'd like to hear from people around the same age as me (29) and what you experienced in the real world of recovery time after surgery.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
              Welcome, to this NSF...This forum has been a godsend for me...It has helped me through all the pre and post aspects of surgery...I have met many wonderful people on board..and hopefully you will to..Read as much as possible..There are two books that I read and also had my family members read..Scoliosis Surgery by Dave Wolpert...who happens to be part of this forum and answers questions periodotically and also Scoliosis Sourcebook who was written by my doctor. Micheal Nuewirth in New York....It makes sense knowing every possible angle about your condition, being prepared when interviewing doctors, and hospitals, and the team that are responsible for your aftercare.....Spend your time reading through the archives of this forum..many question have been asked before, and you'll get different answers ...for sure....
              I am now 3 1/2 months post-op and I'm doing very well...It is a HARD recovery..being 46 and taking care of 5 kids , but this surgery is something that needs to be done if your having constant pain or your curve is progressing or both...The quality of your future is at stake when making this decision...so relax, read and ask questions..I am here to answer anything...good luck....
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism