Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughter just found out she has scoliosis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter just found out she has scoliosis.

In about july my daughter(13y/o on oct.30) had xrays and found out she has scoliosis. she had her first visit in august and six weeks later she had another appt. in that six weeks it got a little worse and now she has to wear a brace. she just got measured and will probably get it next week. she is very bummed and depressed. they say this will not be a fun ride. if anyone out there can talk to her or email her, please do. her email is cheer_angel_16154@yahoo.com
    any help or info you can give me or her will be greatly appreciated
    thank you
    Michelle

Hi Michelle

Cause I'm "old" (in relative terms only lol), I thought it wouldn't be a good idea for me to email your daughter, so I thought I'd write my thoughts here instead. It must seem as though everything's going pretty fast ie found out scoliosis, get brace soon after, I agree that would suck :-)

Did they really tell your daughter that it won't be a "fun ride". Evil People :-/. I know if I got told that, that would add to my feeling "bummed and depressed". Yes, braces are difficult to get used to, make you sweaty and gross, and you need to go for new clothes, but it does get better. Might not seem it now but it will, trust me.

Suprisingly, a lot of people don't notice a brace or realise that you are wearing one until you tell them. They just think its weird bumps under your clothes, and if your like me I always look at people's faces first and their body second. Some people will say "poor you", some may tease (but get over it very quickly), and others will say "can I punch you in the stomach". Or you goade them into doing it, cause they always end up feeling worse off he he with a sore hand.

As my Mum always said, plenty of support, but never sympathy (and did I hate her for that on occassions). I know it may seem difficult to be "mean mommie", but its in the best interests of your daughter. And trust me, the brace will probably be difficult at first, but it will get better.

When you go "brace clothes shopping" try and be adventurous and don't just go for the baggy stuff. Try stuff with different necklines, funky designs, accessories, flowers, cool looking shoes, all to take the attention away from any bulges in the brace that may be showing thorough.

May seem sad, but I always decorated and named my brace. I decorated it with stickers (once I got to the land of the white shirt I did it on the bottom bit only :-) cause I didn't like boring bits of plastic (And it made me feel quite depressed looking boring and white) and if I named it, I could "yell" at it if I felt angry or annoyed at it.

There is another scoliosis forum I'd encourage your daughter to go to. Its http://www.spinekids.com. I had a look at it one day searching for other stuff. It seems really,really good, it is a group of adolescents with scoliosis who "talk" about what its like to be in a brace, the stuff that comes with it as well as other stuff such as hobbies, entertainment etc. She can even just "read" it if she doesn't want to post.

Good luck with everything.

Alison

Comment

Hi! Is there a support group in your area? I think there are a couple in PA. Depending on the type of group, it might help your daughter with the idea of wearing a brace. Just a thought. Good luck! ~Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

daughter is also new at wearing the brace

Hi Michelle,
        My daughter is also 13 and we found out she has scoliosis the middle of August. She has had her brace for about 2 weeks now and it is not much fun.

We are working up to wearing it for as many hours as necessary and as tightly as the doctor wants. She wears it to school and has slept in it one night. So far I can't get it as tight at the doctor wants it and she says she can't breathe when it is to his mark. This is going to be a long process.

I hope your daughter can adjust to the brace quickly. My daughter's brace can't really be seen under her clothes. We have bought shirts that are a size bigger and she has been wearing hoodies to school that come down lower.

Good luck to you and your daughter. This has been traumatic for me and my daughter. Lots of tears have been shed, but she is getting stronger and allowing me to tighten it a little more every couple of days.

Comment

Working...
        X