Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post op: will I stand straighter without trying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op: will I stand straighter without trying?

I'm not sure about scoli, but with kypho (I have 75 degree kypho and mild scoli), this is a big issue with mine. Over the last few months it's gotten much harder to stand up firm and strait. Seems every week it gets harder and harder to keep up with standing upright. The muscles are so tired of working to keep in line. I'm almost positive that my curve is getting worse starting about a year ago. If I stand up straight, I get so exhausted and muscle spasms of course. If I let it all go and relax, the pain is a little worse and the breathing is worse as well. I can't win either way

For you post ops out there, was this an issue before surg and after surg, did you body simply stand up and automatically support itself? If needed I have a thread with my whole story a page or two back.. Thx for your time!
    Age 25 male
    Upstate NY
    T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
    Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
    Post op degrees soon to come

Prior to surgery, I had progressed to having 2 66 degree curves plus some kyphosis. I found myself slouching easily while sitting. Now, I couldn't if I tried, and people tell me what wonderful posture I have. (people who don't know my history tell me that.) Of course, my fusion starts up at T3, so I suppose if a fusion starts low in the T's, it would be possible to slouch some.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

It's odd how sitting bolt upright can be comfortable! So often I'll be sitting there, bolt upright, not using the back of the chair and people offer me a cushion or another chair where I'll "be comfy". It's not necessary, as I'm perfectly comfy. Sitting straight just comes naturally now, without any effort.

Ryy, after the surgery, you won't get that tired feeling just from holding yourself upright. It just happens without effort.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Ryy View Post
        I'm not sure about scoli, but with kypho (I have 75 degree kypho and mild scoli), this is a big issue with mine. Over the last few months it's gotten much harder to stand up firm and strait. Seems every week it gets harder and harder to keep up with standing upright. The muscles are so tired of working to keep in line. I'm almost positive that my curve is getting worse starting about a year ago. If I stand up straight, I get so exhausted and muscle spasms of course. If I let it all go and relax, the pain is a little worse and the breathing is worse as well. I can't win either way

For you post ops out there, was this an issue before surg and after surg, did you body simply stand up and automatically support itself? If needed I have a thread with my whole story a page or two back.. Thx for your time!
        Several people I know who have had kyphosis tell me that they felt so wonderful to be able to stand up straight after surgery. If you have it corrected by surgery, you will feel stiff in the beginning, but it will soon feel very natural to stand straight.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Much Straighter

My two cents worth--I'm 8 weeks out. I was fused T3-L3 and besides the double major scoli also had kyphosis. I am so straight I love it! It has been a little adjustment though.

It feels like I have a metal brick right where the kyphosis was--but each day as I walk, loosen up in the shower and am regaining my normal routine it is becoming less and less something that I think about. I'm just straight and there is nothing I have to think about. And. . . every time I pass a mirror I grin to think how great it is not to have a hump on my back!

Good luck with your decision.

Jennifer

Comment

Ryy - You won’t be able to slouch even if you wanted to if your fusion goes up high enough.

Right after my surgery with my hardware in place and everything properly aligned I did feel very stiff; however, I had such a release of pressure and pain too. While taking a spin around the floor while still in the hospital I ran across my anesthesiologist who was coming in to check on me. I was trying to explain how my back felt and described it to him as “it feels so good to relax in my spine.” I don’t think he truly understood but maybe someone here will!

After all the years of aches and pains….I still feel that way both while standing and sitting (on non-cushy chairs of course) So good to be able to relax but be tall and straight!
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by jenparker View Post
              It feels like I have a metal brick right where the kyphosis was--but each day ...
              Jennifer,

I'm also T3-L3. That 'brick' part gets better over time. Some days I have little setbacks, but they go away much more quickly than they did in the beginning.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My 2 cents

This was my issue before my revision surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I could not stand up straight no matter what. It was so exhausting to fight my body. NOW, I am almost euphoric that I am stick straight without even thinking about it! I have almost no pain except for an aching in my lower back and in the area of the osteotomy. After what I have survived this is tolerable. I am wearing a brace 24/7 so it is difficult to gauge what I will feel like without the brace but I do not have to force myself into a upright position, it comes natural and I am soooo happy!
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Glad your revision surgery is going well. Wow, to be able to stand straight without having to think about it sounds wonderful. Hope all continues to go well.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    Jennifer,

I'm also T3-L3. That 'brick' part gets better over time. Some days I have little setbacks, but they go away much more quickly than they did in the beginning.

Thanks Debbei for understanding "the brick"--I've explained it to my family & friends and they want to be understanding so they kind of shake their head "yes" but unless you have actually felt it I don't think you can understand! It is right where all of my pain and fatigue was before surgery--so it's just changed and I know it will get better.

Comment

could a "lumbar or pelvis" person please answer this for me...

how does one sit..at all...after rods are placed all the way to the sacrum or pelvis...i just dont understand how one can bend enuf to sit...i understand that when standing, people can still bend from the hips...but i dont understand the sitting thing...

i see my NYC surgeon april 12th to discuss surgery (he has talked to me about it for the last 5 years!)..and about whether he or another NYC scoli surgeon will begin using the "dr anand minimal invasive for lumbar" method...
                      because if the answer is "yes," i would schedule my surgery!

thanks in advance for any lumbar folks who can answer my question...

jess

Comment

Jess,
                        When you sit you sit from your hips. Also, your hip joints are not being operated on . Have your surgeon explain the anatomy of sitting and standing to you on 4/12. Sitting has always been my most comfortable position even prior to my revision. Good luck.....
                        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Jess -
                          The sitting thing seemed odd to me too at first, but if you look at my "after surgery x-ray" you'll see the placement of the two longer pelvic screws... They are nowhere near the ball and socket joints of my hips.

I never had a moment's pain from those screws either, although the idea of them gave me pause!
                          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                          Achieved +70% Correction
                          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                          New Spine 03/19/2009
                          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Jess

You really should have come up here when you went to LA. If you could see my mobility, you wouldn’t believe it.

When you sit, your legs pivot at the hip joints. Your pelvis doesn’t move and fusion doesn’t affect sitting.

In that skiing photo, I twisted mostly with my legs for the photo. The shoulders also rotate some as they are attached by soft tissues and not fused to the spine. The ribs are attached and do not twist.

In the sitting position, sitting on a stationary chair, I can rotate my shoulders to approx 45 degrees. The pelvis actually moves some as it is on soft tissues.(My ass) LOL If I turn, with my peripheral vision I can see back to 150 degrees. I cannot see 180 degrees behind me and have to rotate my legs, or stand up to look. I will post some photos to help explain this tomorrow.

Ryy
                            Chances are they will fuse you up high, probably to T2 like myself. They should get your balance set just right and you will have no problems sitting or standing. I am an example of "perfect posture" and nobody can tell I have such a long fusion. No leaning to the side, forward or backward.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

People think they bend at the waist, but there's actually fairly little bending done above the hips.
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X