MRI result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI result

I got my MRI results, couldn't wait to go see the DR to get them. I the cervivcal MRI shows bulging discs at C4-5 and C5-6. Then the lumbar MRI shows multi-level degenerative disc disease with a tear at L4-5. The MRI's were to show how far down to do the fusion because of my lower back pain since my curve is mostly thoracic. I wonder if this means I will have to be fused to my pelvis or may the tear improve with correction of my spine. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
    Thanks,
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Sorry, I can't help Janet. It does sound like you've got a few problems there but if your doctor decides to fuse to pelvis, I for one (there are many here) can assure you it's really not so bad.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am fused to pelvis - entire spine. And, I can attest, it's not so bad. Dr. Lenke told me my flexibility would not be the same, but that I would not notice much difference at all because I have not flexed at the spine for a long time, only from the hips. So, therefore, I would not notice any difference probably.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I'm glad that it is not so bad, I just hope I will be able to do all of the things I am used to. Thanks.
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi Janet-

I am glad you posted your question because I was wondering the same thing! I have a 55 degree thoracic curve and a 58 degree lumbar curve. My MRI shows disc degeneration/herniation in the L4, L5 area. Because the discs are degenerated (they are black on the MRI), my surgeon is only fusing to L3. My fusion will be from T4-L3 to correct both my thoracic and lumbar curves. I currently have pain going down my leg, mostly in my knee, and also in my foot, and I'm wondering if this will go away after surgery. My surgeon doesn't want to fuse all the way down to the pelvis (for mobility reasons and due to the fact that I am only 31 years old). However, I'm hoping the pain in my leg and foot will go away after my surgery. I'm also wondering if after I get straightened up and my posture improves would the sciatica in my leg be alleviated?

I have been through the Nerve Conduction Study tests and the EMG and they all show that everything is fine. I am concerned just because I can deal with the back pain....it's the nerve pain in my legs/feet that is unbearable and drives me crazy!

Does anyone have any positive stories that this nerve pain disappeared after their surgery, and they weren't fused to their pelvis?

Thanks,
          JenM
          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Jen, I had significant nerve pain in my left leg, tingling in my foot and all of the nerve stuff is completely gone since my surgery. In my case my lumbar curve was so severe, the compressed discs put tremendous pressure on nerves. Most of mine was from knee downward and into my foot and toes. I know L5 S1 was one of the worst spots which is where I used to get epidurals. I had an EMG done about a year before my surgery that also indicated everything was fine--not sure how accurate those tests are. I am fused to the sacrum, but that may not be necessary for someone younger and with less severe curves. I'm sure your Dr. will address the nerve compression. I agree that can be every bit as annoying/painful as the back pain. It is such a relief not to be dealing with that anymore!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

JenM – I was wondering about your doc’s rationale in fusing to L3 only. I also had left leg sciatica and extensive degenerative changes (you name it, I had it going on) in my lumbar area L3 – L5 which is why my surgeon went to S2, 3 levels lower than he had initially hoped to have to go. After viewing the MRI results he was definite in his belief that my lower area would not hold up if he fused only to L4, the level he first mentioned.

I was freaked out about being fused so low – that was my second to worst fear before the surgery. But I am so happy with the results and the peace of mind I have knowing my structure is solid AND that I won’t be facing extra surgery to extend the hardware in the future.
              Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
              Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
              Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
              A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
              Achieved +70% Correction
              Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
              New Spine 03/19/2009
              New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Previous to my surgery, my MRI showed a Haemangioma at L2, degenerative changes at L2 - S1 (L4/5-L5/S1 being the really bad ones). L4/5 had an Annualar Tear. I had real bad Sciatica, the sole of my foot felt like it was on fire and my bladder felt full all the time. I am now fused T11 - S1 Pos and L4/5- L5/S1 Ant. All the pre-surgery pain was gone right away after surgery and was replaced by minor discomfort of the surgery. I am happy with the results and wouldn't change a thing.
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I too have left leg pain with numbness and stinging. Some in my right as well but not nearly as much as the left. My my left hip and leg pain is worse than my back pain. I'm getting closer to setting a date. These stories are encouraging to those of us who are trying to make decisions.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                  X