nerve pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nerve pain

hi, everyone! today marks 4 weeks since my surgery; i can't believe it! part of my surgery was to unpinch two nerves that ran into my left leg. last week, the pain in that leg became intolerable; those nerves are clearly going to work fine again, but in the meantime they are causing me much more pain than the surgery did. my doctor prescribed neurontin, but it takes a long time to start working. has anyone else had a similar situation? how long was it before you were comfortable? if it wasn't for this nerve pain, i'd be feeling like a million bucks!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Suejeryl,
    Hi Sue, I take Neurontin 300mg X4 day for nerve pain. It took a couple of weeks and several adjustments in dosages to find what worked for me. You may have to adjust the amount you take. Once I got the amount right, I love neurontin. It doesn't make me "druggy"/ it is non- addictive and I can take it long term without worrying to much about to many side effects. However, be forwarned......it will make you put on weight

SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

hi, sandy...yikes! how much weight? is neurontin a steroid or something? the internet doesn't seem to have much info...
      Sue

Fused T3 - S1
      Dr. Robert G. Viere

Comment

Hi Sue...

Here are the listed side effects of neurontin:

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Neurontin.

* When taken for epilepsy, more common side effects may include:
        Blurred, dimmed, or double vision, bronchitis (in children), dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, fever (in children), involuntary eye movement, itchy, runny nose, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, tremor, viral infection (in children), vomiting, weight increase (in children)

* When taken for nerve pain, more common side effects may include:
        Accidental injury, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, infection, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, swelling in arms and legs, vomiting, weakness

A wide variety of uncommon and rare side effects have also been reported. If you develop any new or unusual symptoms while taking Neurontin, be sure to let your doctor know.

I was unable to take neurontin because it makes me very sleepy.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks, linda...i finally found the the info sheet that came with my neurontin..it sound like nearly anything can happen! still, if it works it's worth a try....it's no fun when you can't sit, stand, or lie down comfortably!
          Sue

Fused T3 - S1
          Dr. Robert G. Viere

Comment

Sue,
            I'm not sure what class of drug Neurontin is, but it is the only med that I'm on that puts on the weight. In 2002 when I had my A/P surgery I weighed in at 110......I'm now at 160. I wore a size 8 and now a 16. I tried a couple of Rx diet pills that my doc let me get, also the gym and it (the fat) won't budge My weight has remained stable at this point now for about a year. I have tried getting off of the Neurontin and I can't. The nerve pain will proabably be with me for the rest of my life and I'm not sure if there is an other drug like the Neurontin that doesn't have the weight gain issue.
            SandyC

Comment

Working...
            X