View Full Version : ice water circulation pad?

03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Did anyone use a cold water circulation machine after surgery? I wish I would have thought of this sooner, but at about the 4th day after surgery while continuing to struggle to find a way to get comfortable in those hospital beds I remembered that my mother in law ( who had back surgery 2 years ago) was given a machine that circulated ice cold water to a very thin pad you could lay on. I asked about this and the doc said it was fine and the nurses brought one in and the relief was ASTOUNDING!!! I wish I would have had access to this sooner...the cooling of the ice pad, which again, is very very thin (probably less than 1/8th of an inch), on your back on the really sort part made a tremendous difference. They fill a tub with ice and the machine circulates the ice cold water continually into the pad... I slept soooo much better the next 4 nights as it made my pain so much more managable and I was able to get comfortable and sleep.

Those going into surgery should ask about this and see if you can get one if your doc's okay with it...if it works for you anything like it did for me, you'll be very happy you did!


03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I had one from the first moment possible. It looks like an Igloo ice chest with tubes attached between it and the pad. You put ice and water in the ice chest, plug it in and it circulates the cold water through the pad. That is one of the few things my surgeon did that I truly appreciate. He made sure I had it as soon as possible. From what I hear, the hospital didn't provide it quick enough and he had a fit. It felt amazing and was very helful. It's better than an ice pack because it's much thinner and more comfortable to lay on.
Thanks for reminding me of that! I put it in the closet and haven't used it in quite some time but I think I'll get it out and use it. That's a great idea! Thanks Rich!

03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Never heard of this. Wish I would have had one the first 2 weeks. Where did you get one for home use?

03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Mine was supplied by the hospital. The only thing I can think to try would be medical supply stores or even check with the hospital to see if they would sell you one. I believe my insurance picked up the cost of mine. You might also check with your doc to see if he can help you get one. I've never seen them at Walgreens or CVS Pharmacies so I'm betting they are considered a specialty item like the sock putter-oner and the other items like that. You might check online also. You can just almost everything but a haircut online anymore!
Good luck finding one!