My one year post-op anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My one year post-op anniversary!

wow... what a bittersweet & nostalgic day. exactly one year ago, on March 25, 2009, I underwent 14 hours of surgery and was fused T2-L1. I will forever now have 12 vertebrae fused together, and two foot-long chrome rods and 23 screws attached to my spine. Still makes me cringe to think about! Kinda cool, too.... =) I remember the morning of my surgery as if it were yesterday, and how much I was FREAKING OUT about going paralyzed, blind, or even never waking up. So, it’s weird to think I was experiencing all of those crazy waves of emotions exactly 365 days ago! This surgery was truly life-changing (mostly for the better!) and even though the recovery was by far the hardest thing I’d ever gone through in my life, I would do it all over again….because I am now a million times stronger than I ever was. Not only do I have an impressive pain tolerance these days, but because I was SO motivated to get my strength back post-surgery, I’ve been working out more than ever before and I am currently in the process of becoming certified to teach pilates so I can show others the benefits - and ease their back pain! Today, I feel happy, grateful, relieved and bionic! =)

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the advice, support, etc. over the past year +.

Can I do this?

Wow....congrats on your one year anniversary. I am looking at surgery. I have daily pain 4-7/10 and several times a week it increases to 9/10. I am pain free when I am flat on my back but no other time.

I work hard and have to lift patients six to 20 times a day. This really aggravates my back. I also push gurneys and do a lot of bending over.

Do you think you back is stronger? Can you lift now? Could you carry a box weighing 20 pounds? Can you still bend? if so can you touch your toes? I have so many questions. Do you mind letting me know?

How long did it take for you to return to work?

Thank you.

Comment

Congratulations--that's fabulous! I can't wait until I'm there!

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Cerulean58,
        To answer your questions...

Do you think you back is stronger? not sure, but i certainly feel stronger. i think once i'm fully fused, if not already, my back will technically be stronger than ever... it's like metal armor!

Can you lift now? Could you carry a box weighing 20 pounds? yes, but it took about 4 months to get there. you have to avoid lifting 10-15 lbs for first 3 months.

Can you still bend? if so can you touch your toes? i can bend, but most of the bending (back wise...which we all should avoid anyway) comes from your lumbar (lower) spine. i'm only fused to L1. i can touch my toes, yes, but i do need to bend at the knees to do so. i used to be really flexible and i could touch the floor without bending my legs. but i used my back! so i can't really do that anymore. close, though...

How long did it take for you to return to work? i returned to work at 3 months post-op, but could've returned at 2 months post-op. i had a lung complication, which postponed things...

Comment

What great news!! You are a inspiration! How long was it before you could work out and what are your wieght lifting restrictions now?
          Janet
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

if you consider walking "working out", i was walking 1-3 miles at about 10 days post-op. i also started doing some "gentle" pilates at about one month post-op, but did get chastised by my surgeon for doing that, haha. once you surpass your 3 month post-op benchmark (in which during this time there is no bending, twisting or lifting), you just have to do what you body tells you and let pain be your guide. right now, at a year post-op, i feel comfortable lifting up to 30 lbs maybe... but i'm a small person as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jesscv View Post
              wow... what a bittersweet & nostalgic day. exactly one year ago, on March 25, 2009, I underwent 14 hours of surgery and was fused T2-L1. I will forever now have 12 vertebrae fused together, and two foot-long chrome rods and 23 screws attached to my spine. Still makes me cringe to think about! Kinda cool, too.... =) I remember the morning of my surgery as if it were yesterday, and how much I was FREAKING OUT about going paralyzed, blind, or even never waking up. So, it’s weird to think I was experiencing all of those crazy waves of emotions exactly 365 days ago! This surgery was truly life-changing (mostly for the better!) and even though the recovery was by far the hardest thing I’d ever gone through in my life, I would do it all over again….because I am now a million times stronger than I ever was. Not only do I have an impressive pain tolerance these days, but because I was SO motivated to get my strength back post-surgery, I’ve been working out more than ever before and I am currently in the process of becoming certified to teach pilates so I can show others the benefits - and ease their back pain! Today, I feel happy, grateful, relieved and bionic! =)

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the advice, support, etc. over the past year +.
              You know, I think of my surgery anniversary date kind of like the birthdays of my children, in a strange & nostalgic kind of way. I've only had one anniversary so far, so maybe it will change with time.

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so much better than prior to surgery. Good for you regarding pilates!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

It's great to read about these 12 month anniversaries and read how people are going. I am not a sentimental person by nature but on my 1 year anniversary I allowed myself to sink into sentimentality, thinking back to that day a year ago, feeling how lucky I am now, how frightened I was leading up to the surgery. I even shed a few (very few!) tears after my surgeon's visit that day. Then it was over and back to the present!

But never does a day go by that I'm not grateful.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well, jesscv.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wow this is so powerful what you guys share with us awaiting our surgeries - thank you so much for all that you share with us. It's all very encouraging!
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your anniversary. I am having surgery April 15 and this makes me feel so good. I am T5 - L1 so hope I have similar success to you. Thanks again!
                    Shari - 55 years old
                    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                    Post op 13 degree curve.
                    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

This is a true inspiration. I am so happy for you. I hope to be in your shoes at one year postop.
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

thanks, everyone! i hope all of your surgeries go well; i'm sure they will! =)

Comment

Time flys when your having fun recovering. Its one test after another. Its nice to finally realize that you CAN do certain things.

Wait another year. The 2nd year is the period where everything gets fined tuned. I'm much better now, than when I was 1 year post...

I'm a true believer in staying active in scoliosis recovery. Its beneficial to keep all the muscles and soft tissues moving. Keep up the good work.

Just remember, every day is a great day!

Congratulations.
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i agree with you, ed! it's a "lifetime" recovery...even though i felt great a few months post-op, i need to keep up my strength and active lifestyle in order to continue to feel great.

Comment

Thats awesome jessica! Congrats! I feel like since i was able to overcome that i can overcome anything, you kno? pretty cool! It was also thanks to everyone on here.
                              -Bethany
                              pre-op L 74*
                              pre-op Th 56*
                              surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                              getting nervous

Comment

Working...
                              X