PDA

View Full Version : Coming home today

Nitram
03-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi all, just wanted to say thanks for all your support and if all goes well I should be going home today. I had anterior fusion on March 17, followed by a long lengthly posterior fusion on March 18. The days flowing the surgrury on he 18th were awefull but thankfully my wife and or / Parents have been with me 24 hours a days since I have been here and their support is what had got me throgh so far. Not sure the exact correction is yet, but will know when I talk to the doc this morning. He estimated my curve was now aroung 20 geg
degrees And it was 65-70 pre op. While I still hurt everone here is 100% right that you get better ever day. Btw, my correction is from t10-pelvis.

More later...thanks!

Vali
03-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Best wishes of a smooth and speedy recovery. Take it one day at a time whenyou get home. :)

mbeckoff
03-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Great news on going home

Melissa

RitaR
03-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Yup, I can vow for that. Each day is a little tiny bit better. I doubted it when I was laying in the hosp with all this pain, but I can now say each day is a little bit better. Of course, just getting home to your own bed helps immensely.

LynetteG
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Sounds wonderful!

debbei
03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Congratulations and have the best recovery possible.

RitaR
03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Congrats and best wishes your way.

allycat
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm sending gentle, healing, peaceful thoughts your way! Congrats on a HUGE milestone!

sillycoffeegirl
03-27-2010, 01:31 AM
glad to hear you will be home soon. Eat and sleep and relax :)

Nitram
03-27-2010, 05:20 AM
well, I guess to emphasize the effects of the drugs i'm on i appeared to have started two threads about the same things...guess thats what you get posting from your hospital bed!

I've been home for a couple of days now ( surgery on March 17 & 18 ) and feel as though I'm doing pretty well. I'm up and about walking in the house for 5 minutes 8-10 times a day. I even managed to sit/lay down on the sofa with my family last light to watch a 2 hour movie (the Blind Side....great uplifting flick). Pain is under control although I'm trying to cut back on the Percocet as I don't feel the need the current dosage and that seems to be working...we'll see in the coming days.

My father in law measured me yesterday as he was so surprised how much taller I looked and it appears I've gained back a little over an inch....back to the height I was 25 years ago in high school!!!

I still have quite a bit of numbness on my hips and back, but my doc says that's to expected, it will subside over time. One nice thing my doc did is no stitches, staples, etc. were used externally. I have stitches internally, but all surface skinn was closed with steri strips and some kind of glue. He said it takes longer for him but heals better, with less scarring, less pain, and nothing to remove afterward.

Those looking for a surgeon in DC area should really talk to mine, Dr. Christopher Good....man this guy seems to *be* good, I could not possibly be any happier at this point. BTW, I found out he actually did part of his training under Dr. Lenke who I know has a great reputation around this forum. If your on the east coast Dr. Good is someone you might want to consider.

Also, LynetteG I know your day is coming soon....hang in there...your fusion is very similar to mine and I believe if you go into this understanding your going to feel like you were hit by a truck the first few days you won't be surprised...but just keep in mind EVERY DAY GETS BETTER. It won't feel like that at the time, but you will. I'm looking back and its been only 12 days from my first surgery and can't believe how far I have come.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll keep up the updates from time to time.

Rich

LynetteG
03-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Fantastic post Rich - thank you so much for sharing your great news. Sounds like you are doing AWESOME! Very encouraging for me :)

Radiogirl
03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Yes, Rich....thank you for the post. It truly helps us who are staring right in the face of this sugery. Mine will be on Wednesday. I can't even imagine what I will feel like one week from today. But it sure helps to read posts from those like you, who have already gone through it and are on to recovery. Best of luck to you in your healing!!! I think attitude plays a big role! And you have a great one!
Laura

debbei
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
well, I guess to emphasize the effects of the drugs i'm on i appeared to have started two threads about the same things...guess thats what you get posting from your hospital bed!

I've been home for a couple of days now ( surgery on March 17 & 18 ) and feel as though I'm doing pretty well. I'm up and about walking in the house for 5 minutes 8-10 times a day. I even managed to sit/lay down on the sofa with my family last light to watch a 2 hour movie (the Bilnd Side....great uplifting flick). Pain is under control although I'm trying to cut back on the Percocet as I don't feel the need the current dosage and that seems to be working...we'll see in the coming days.

My father in law measured me yesterday as he was so surprised how much taller I looked and it appears I've gained back a little over an inch....back to the height I was 25 years ago in high school!!!

I still have quite a bit of numbness on my hips and back, but my doc says that's to expected, it will subside over time. One nice thing my doc did is no stitches, staples, etc. were used externally. I have stitches internally, but all surface skinn was closed with steri strips and some kind of glue. He said it takes longer for him but heals better, with less scarring, less pain, and nothing to remove afterward.

Those looking for a surgeon in DC area should really talk to mine, Dr. Christopher Good....man this guy seem to *be* good, I could not possibly be any happier at this point. BTW, I found out he actually did part of his training under Dr. Lenke who I know has a great reputation around this forum. If your on the east coast Dr. Good is someone you might want to consider.

Also, LynetteG I know your day is coming soon....hang in there...your fusion is very similar to mine and I believe if you go into this understanding your going to feel like you were hit by a truck the first few days you won't be surprised...but just keep in mind EVERY DAY GETS BETTER. It won't feel like that at the time, but you will. I'm looking back and its been only 12 days from my first surgery and can't believe how far I have come.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll keep up the updates from time to time.

Rich

Rich,

That's how I was closed up, except I had one stitch that had to come out (either at the top or the bottom--I can't remember). I've been told that my scar looks really good. According to my surgeon, it looks like it was done by a plastic surgeon. :)

Keep up the good work--you are right, it keeps getting better. Sometimes you can't tell the difference from one day to the next, but it really does.

titaniumed
03-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Rich

Thatís the beauty of NSF. Everyone is so understanding when we post under such heavy sedation! LOL

If you can sit on a sofa and watch a 2 hr movie, you are doing well.

Hang in there
Ed

RitaR
03-27-2010, 11:07 AM
If I can make it through a 30-min program on TV I'm doing good. I have to plan ahead. Lay down for a few minutes before I begin my 30 min. Isn't that weird? Sitting up in my worst enemy to conquer right now.

Nitram
03-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Rita! I've been following your progress as you were just ahead of me and I really appreciated hearing how you were doing. I'm so glad you are making good progress as well.

I agree with you 100% that sitting is the worst....when I watched the movie with my family I managed about an hour in a recliner laid back all the way....I could not get into, or out of, it by myself, they had to help. The other half I was laying on my side on the sofa. I have found that taller chairs are easier for me, like bar stools. I've found I can sit with my family for dinner if I sit in a chair at the bar in the kitchen, but I'd not make it more than 5 minutes sitting in a normal chair.

Sitting is definitely a battle I'm still fighting but I WILL win in! :-)

Rich

allycat
03-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Lots and lots of pillows! Big fluffy soft ones! I had the opposite problem, could not get in the recliner. The sofa was easier but I'm 5'1" so that probably makes a big difference. It was a long time before I could get into one of the bar stools.
When I wanted to sit in the living room with the fam, I would position pillows in sort of a squished V and use that for my back. Then I'd stack pillows on both sides and use them for arm rests. I looked somewhat like a baby thats sitting up using pillows so it won't fall over. It worked for me!

RitaR
03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I, too, am going to conquer this sitting problem. I'm doing better. It used to be 5 minutes at a time then lay down for 2 hours, which I would most likely fall asleep and take a nap. Then, go sit for 5 more minutes. Tonight trying to watch basketball game will be a struggle, but I'll do my best. It's all we can do. I've heard from other people that if you just go ahead and stick it out and struggle with it as it comes it does get better. At least for me I can find a position in bed where I have no pain whatsoever - that's my dream. But, with the pain medicine we're on, sure makes one tired and sleepy. But, I asked Dr. Lenke about that and he said rest is the best medicine and to take every nap I can get ahold of. Good thing - cuz I'm taking lots of naps... Ha!
But, we'll conquer this sitting problem - full speed ahead. We're tough!!!!

jsully
03-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well!:)