Coming home today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming home today

Hi all, just wanted to say thanks for all your support and if all goes well I should be going home today. I had anterior fusion on March 17, followed by a long lengthly posterior fusion on March 18. The days flowing the surgrury on he 18th were awefull but thankfully my wife and or / Parents have been with me 24 hours a days since I have been here and their support is what had got me throgh so far. Not sure the exact correction is yet, but will know when I talk to the doc this morning. He estimated my curve was now aroung 20 geg
    degrees And it was 65-70 pre op. While I still hurt everone here is 100% right that you get better ever day. Btw, my correction is from t10-pelvis.

More later...thanks!
    Last edited by Nitram; 03-25-2010, 06:04 AM.
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Best wishes of a smooth and speedy recovery. Take it one day at a time whenyou get home.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Great news on going home

Melissa

Comment

Yup, I can vow for that. Each day is a little tiny bit better. I doubted it when I was laying in the hosp with all this pain, but I can now say each day is a little bit better. Of course, just getting home to your own bed helps immensely.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Sounds wonderful!
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Congratulations and have the best recovery possible.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congrats and best wishes your way.
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46

Comment

I'm sending gentle, healing, peaceful thoughts your way! Congrats on a HUGE milestone!
                Becky
                51 years old
                Married 28 years
                3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
                Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
                Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
                Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
                Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
                Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
                Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

glad to hear you will be home soon. Eat and sleep and relax
                  -Bethany
                  pre-op L 74*
                  pre-op Th 56*
                  surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                  getting nervous

Comment

well, I guess to emphasize the effects of the drugs i'm on i appeared to have started two threads about the same things...guess thats what you get posting from your hospital bed!

I've been home for a couple of days now ( surgery on March 17 & 18 ) and feel as though I'm doing pretty well. I'm up and about walking in the house for 5 minutes 8-10 times a day. I even managed to sit/lay down on the sofa with my family last light to watch a 2 hour movie (the Blind Side....great uplifting flick). Pain is under control although I'm trying to cut back on the Percocet as I don't feel the need the current dosage and that seems to be working...we'll see in the coming days.

My father in law measured me yesterday as he was so surprised how much taller I looked and it appears I've gained back a little over an inch....back to the height I was 25 years ago in high school!!!

I still have quite a bit of numbness on my hips and back, but my doc says that's to expected, it will subside over time. One nice thing my doc did is no stitches, staples, etc. were used externally. I have stitches internally, but all surface skinn was closed with steri strips and some kind of glue. He said it takes longer for him but heals better, with less scarring, less pain, and nothing to remove afterward.

Those looking for a surgeon in DC area should really talk to mine, Dr. Christopher Good....man this guy seems to *be* good, I could not possibly be any happier at this point. BTW, I found out he actually did part of his training under Dr. Lenke who I know has a great reputation around this forum. If your on the east coast Dr. Good is someone you might want to consider.

Also, LynetteG I know your day is coming soon....hang in there...your fusion is very similar to mine and I believe if you go into this understanding your going to feel like you were hit by a truck the first few days you won't be surprised...but just keep in mind EVERY DAY GETS BETTER. It won't feel like that at the time, but you will. I'm looking back and its been only 12 days from my first surgery and can't believe how far I have come.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll keep up the updates from time to time.

Rich
                    Last edited by Nitram; 03-27-2010, 01:01 PM.
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Fantastic post Rich - thank you so much for sharing your great news. Sounds like you are doing AWESOME! Very encouraging for me
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Yes, Rich....thank you for the post. It truly helps us who are staring right in the face of this sugery. Mine will be on Wednesday. I can't even imagine what I will feel like one week from today. But it sure helps to read posts from those like you, who have already gone through it and are on to recovery. Best of luck to you in your healing!!! I think attitude plays a big role! And you have a great one!
                        Laura
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young
                        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by Nitram View Post
                          well, I guess to emphasize the effects of the drugs i'm on i appeared to have started two threads about the same things...guess thats what you get posting from your hospital bed!

I've been home for a couple of days now ( surgery on March 17 & 18 ) and feel as though I'm doing pretty well. I'm up and about walking in the house for 5 minutes 8-10 times a day. I even managed to sit/lay down on the sofa with my family last light to watch a 2 hour movie (the Bilnd Side....great uplifting flick). Pain is under control although I'm trying to cut back on the Percocet as I don't feel the need the current dosage and that seems to be working...we'll see in the coming days.

My father in law measured me yesterday as he was so surprised how much taller I looked and it appears I've gained back a little over an inch....back to the height I was 25 years ago in high school!!!

I still have quite a bit of numbness on my hips and back, but my doc says that's to expected, it will subside over time. One nice thing my doc did is no stitches, staples, etc. were used externally. I have stitches internally, but all surface skinn was closed with steri strips and some kind of glue. He said it takes longer for him but heals better, with less scarring, less pain, and nothing to remove afterward.

Those looking for a surgeon in DC area should really talk to mine, Dr. Christopher Good....man this guy seem to *be* good, I could not possibly be any happier at this point. BTW, I found out he actually did part of his training under Dr. Lenke who I know has a great reputation around this forum. If your on the east coast Dr. Good is someone you might want to consider.

Also, LynetteG I know your day is coming soon....hang in there...your fusion is very similar to mine and I believe if you go into this understanding your going to feel like you were hit by a truck the first few days you won't be surprised...but just keep in mind EVERY DAY GETS BETTER. It won't feel like that at the time, but you will. I'm looking back and its been only 12 days from my first surgery and can't believe how far I have come.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll keep up the updates from time to time.

Rich
                          Rich,

That's how I was closed up, except I had one stitch that had to come out (either at the top or the bottom--I can't remember). I've been told that my scar looks really good. According to my surgeon, it looks like it was done by a plastic surgeon.

Keep up the good work--you are right, it keeps getting better. Sometimes you can't tell the difference from one day to the next, but it really does.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Rich

That’s the beauty of NSF. Everyone is so understanding when we post under such heavy sedation! LOL

If you can sit on a sofa and watch a 2 hr movie, you are doing well.

Hang in there
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

If I can make it through a 30-min program on TV I'm doing good. I have to plan ahead. Lay down for a few minutes before I begin my 30 min. Isn't that weird? Sitting up in my worst enemy to conquer right now.
                              Rita Thompson
                              Age 46

Comment

Working...
                              X