Wearing a Brace after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing a Brace after surgery

I just found out from talking with my surgeon's nurse that there is a 90% chance or more that I will be wearing a brace when I leave the hospital. I will be wearing it all the time except to shower and sleep. So what does one wear under this brace ? What does one wear over it? Do you wear your clothes over it or under it ?I am not upset about having it. I actually am happy about it because I was nervous about going out in public and getting bumped or hit in stores. Also, forgetting about bending in certain ways. I just don't know how to wear it. Is this something that I can take on and off by myself or will I need help with it? How long is it?

How long does one usually wear a brace?

Thanks for all the great advice everyone has all ready given me

Melissa

My brace was fitted the day after surgery, which hurt a little. The brace is hard plastic and is easily to put on. Mine has three straps and very easily to tighten. I wear a simple t-shirt underneath and wear a loose fitted shirt over it. I can hide it pretty well. I have gotten to the point, where it feels weird, when I don't wear it. I also have to wear a bone stimulator machine over my brace. I have my next appt. this coming Tuesday and will find out my fusion.

rich

Comment

You will probably get a "Clamshell" type brace--sort of a bulky vest kind of thing with velcro straps on either side. (I think the official term is TLSO--thoraco-lumbar support orthotic.) You keep the straps always closed on the one side so you only have to deal with one side to take it on and off. For the first week or so, I had to have help getting in and out of it, but then a PT showed me how to lean against a wall and do it on my own. Ideally, it should go under your clothing, but overtop of a t-shirt or cami or something. You definitely don't want it rubbing against your skin. It is bulky, so you will need to have some loose-fitting tops, sweaters, jackets or clothing that's a little big to wear over it. I occasionally wear it over top of my clothing when I'm around the house or not really concerned about who sees it! As the weather gets warmer, it can be hot. It's plastic and foam. (I think Jimbo was complaining about his since it's summer in Australia!) I have to wear mine at least until early June which would be 4 months. Most people probably don't have to go that long, but my Dr. wants me in it until he sees evidence of fusion. My shoulders are very sore at night and I think some of that is from the brace kind of riding up under them. It's really not bad, and it does remind you to not "bend, lift or twist." Private message me if you need more info. Good luck!!

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

My Brace

Mine is a soft plastic with a foam lining , is custom made in the hospital, and is skin tight. I too have to wear mine 24 hrs a day for at least 3 months until evidence of fusion. The only time I can remove it is to bathe.
        Anne, the NP from my surg office said that there is a tendency to round your shoulders over the brace which can cause nerve damage. She said to be sure to always keep your shoulders back. There was a time I was sleeping on my left side, and my right arm would fall asleep. She said to keep a pillow under my arm to keep from pinching the nerve.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

How do they make the brace or do I not want to know?

Should I buy some items of clothing in a larger size to wear over the brace when I go out ?

Melissa

Comment

My brace is the one with three straps. I leave one side alone and only tighten one side. My brace was fitted on the second day, while I was in ICU. It was already premolded. The guy came in and put it on me and used a sharpie to mark it. He left and then returned about twenty minutes later, with it cut. He put it on again and marked it again. He would leave and then return. He did it about three times and was done.

rich

Comment

Thanks, Kristy. You're right. Now that you mentioned it, I am sort of pulling my shoulders forward and they both are so sore right around the shoulder blades at night. I'll try to be more aware of "shoulders back" like our mothers told us when we were kids!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I did not know...

I met my doctor this week and he did not tell me I would wear a brace post op. Wow, how long will I need to be out of work?

Thanks,

Jill

Comment

Making the Brace

The brace guy made my brace the day after my surgery. He stripped me down, put a soft thin t shirt on me and then packed on some quick dry cement like material. After it dried, he peeled it off, turned me on my stomach and did the same thing. He took this mold and made the brace. Therefore it is custom made to my curves and is skin tight when tightened.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                    The brace guy made my brace the day after my surgery. He stripped me down, put a soft thin t shirt on me and then packed on some quick dry cement like material. After it dried, he peeled it off, turned me on my stomach and did the same thing. He took this mold and made the brace. Therefore it is custom made to my curves and is skin tight when tightened.
                    was it very painful? How did you get the t-Shirt on? MY doctor does not want me to lift my arms for 6-8 weeks

Melissa

Comment

I wore a TLSO for 3 months after my surgery. The difference is I was fitted for my brace BEFORE my surgery and my husband brought it to the hospital the day after surgery. I wondered at the time and have wondered since how the brace could be molded to my pre-op torso to properly fit me after a surgery that changed the shape of my torso so much. Just a thought.
                      Becky
                      51 years old
                      Married 28 years
                      3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
                      Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
                      Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
                      Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
                      Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
                      Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
                      Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

I have been wearing my lumbar brace now for nearly two months. It is very hard to see it and nobody notices it. You will be fine.
                        45L/40T
                        Surgery 25/1/2010
                        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

why do some people have to wear braces following surgery? i did not have to... just wondering. does it depend on the curve?

Comment

Its used as an extra safety measure.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X