Countdown....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown....

Hi Everybody...wow, am I nervous! My surgery is next Weds 3/31. And one week from tomorrow (Mon), I will leaving my home and doggie behind in Cleveland and heading to St. Louis. My sister will be going with me, while my other sister will stay at my house and pup-sit for me and then stay with me when I get home. What should I get done this week, and what should I get in my house to make life easier when I get home??? I am thinking a wheeled walker and a raised toilet....but what else? Uggg....I'm feeling soooo overwhelmed!!!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Laura--I'm not sure they would allow the wheeled walker. I think most places have you get a regular one in the hospital. I know there was a "kit" of things we purchased from the hospital in St. Louis. The raised toilet seat was very helpful---not in the kit. I know there's some good lists on here somewhere on what is needed and what isn't. Hang in there. As you go in I'll be finishing year #1 on March 30--you'll get there too! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Dr. Lenke has a "spine kit" which includes a grabber with a long handle, sponge with a long handle and lots of other little goodies - everything you'd need except for the raised toilet seat - for $48. We went ahead and bought a raised toilet seat ahead of time - it's a must. It's helped me tremendously! But, having already bought one I'd recommend you get one with arms on it if at all possible, just makes little easier. Your sister can pick this up in Dr. Lenke's office while lyou're in the office if you decide to go with that.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Laura - I'm also just over a week away, and I purchased a raised toilet seat with handles, I also got a grabber with a long handle, and a gadget to help me put socks on. I have been running round ragged getting my house in order for my mum and sons, buying groceries for the freezer, getting the bedroom ready for where my mum will be sleeping, cleaning the house as best I can, pest control for the house, goodies for my sons to look forward to having while I'm not there etc.etc.etc....I know how you feel being overwhelmed. However, like everyone else says on here, everything just sorts itself out, so one day at a time. I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear from you afterward, we will be swapping stories
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Laura,

Breathe. Calm blue ocean.

Just take things one step at a time. They will get you most of the items at the hospital and bill your insurance co.

I didn’t do any planning at all and I made it just fine. I didn’t need the raised toilet riser, however the foam for the bed helps with sleeping.

A wheeled walker probably isnt a great idea. My walker was invaluable upon getting out of bed. You use it for support as you first stand up, and you don’t want it to move.

Here is a pic from skiing today at calm blue Lake Tahoe. lol

Pretty soon this will be over.
          Ed
          Attached Files
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed - that looks like a heavenly place where you are at right now - Lake Tahoe is always a place I've wanted to visit!
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Wow Ed,

You should put a "S" on your chest. I'm amazed.

Way to go guy,
              Shari

Comment

Thinking about skiing up at Tahoe was what I kept thinking of. Think of your future goals, about how well you will do after you have your new spines.

I talked my friends into going to the freestyle park for a look. They give me the stern look everytime. Its funny.

I miss the jumps....that’s a thing of the past... just happy to be pain free.
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Ed for your great advice - I'm thinking of being a successful hypnotist, and doing some public speaking to help others with similar experiences as mine. I see myself standing tall, straight, and slimmer than I am right now, motivating others!!! . I also see myself being able to have fun playing with my sons without pain!

Laura - what do you see yourself doing?
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
                    Hi Everybody...wow, am I nervous! My surgery is next Weds 3/31. And one week from tomorrow (Mon), I will leaving my home and doggie behind in Cleveland and heading to St. Louis. My sister will be going with me, while my other sister will stay at my house and pup-sit for me and then stay with me when I get home. What should I get done this week, and what should I get in my house to make life easier when I get home??? I am thinking a wheeled walker and a raised toilet....but what else? Uggg....I'm feeling soooo overwhelmed!!!
                    Radiogirl,

Don't buy anything yet. The hospital PT's and OT's will tell you what you need and will be provided for at the hospital. Some of the things you need will come in a kit and be paid for by your insurance. Some Doctors don't want you using a walker wheeled or not and some do. I didn't need a walker, just a cane.

Sally
                    Last edited by loves to skate; 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM. Reason: add on
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Didn't need any kind of walker (at home) or shower chair. Raised toilet seats with handles are a godsend and I ended up borrowing them from someone who had the same surgery. I have grabbers upstairs, downstairs and even in the car now that I'm driving. I got cheapo ones at Target. Those things will pick up just about anything! Long handled shoe horn helps. I have the sock thing-y, but can pretty much do them sitting on the bed with my leg crossed over.
                      Keep track of any non-reimbused medical expenses. (even stuff like transportation and meals on the way to app'ts., esp. if your Dr. is long distance like mine was.) We're keeping separate hard copy files of what's reimbursed and what hasn't been. Depending on the amount and your situation, those expenses are tax deductible. Good luck to you. It's going to be OK and you will come out on the other side so much better off!!

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Preparing for Scoliosis Surgery:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Laura - we'll sure be thinking of you on the 31st! Try to get the most important things done now and then try not to sweat the small stuff. Things have a way of working out the way they are supposed to.

The only thing I bought before my surgery was an extra long shoehorn which I happened to see at Ikea and was only $.99. The hospital provided (and insurance paid for) a spine kit which included a walker (non-wheeled), a grabber, a sock-aid and a long handled shower sponge. They arranged delivery of a raised toilet seat with arm wrests. It was delivered 1 hour after we got home from the hospital and cost us $9.98 after insurance. I commented at the time that that was the best $10 bucks we ever spent!

I used the toilet seat in the shower for the first two showers. I sat down to take a shower because my sense of balance was off and when I closed my eyes I swayed in a scary way. And besides, I had no energy and it took a lot out of me those first couple of showers. I wasn’t moving very fast either and with the heat of the water I felt pretty light headed. So it was a good investment.

Both the walker and the toilet seat made life just that much easier! Lots of challenges but using the bathroom didn’t have to be one of them! Now, they are disassembled in two flat boxes in our attic. Hopefully we won’t have to use them again but they are ready in case….
                          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                          Achieved +70% Correction
                          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                          New Spine 03/19/2009
                          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Hi Laura - Good luck to you! I will be watching to see how your surgery goes. I am also 49 years old with a 62 degree curve. My surgery is April 15.
                            I got some good ideas from this question, thanks for asking it.
                            Shari - 55 years old
                            Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                            Post op 13 degree curve.
                            Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                            2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                            Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                            www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Wow..thank you all so much for your responses! Great ideas there.

And Ed.....sooooo nice of you to invite all of us to a Scoli reunion in Tahoe! That's my goal! hahah!!!! PARTY AT ED'S!!!
                              Laura
                              62 degrees
                              49 yrs. young
                              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                              X