PDA

View Full Version : Countdown....

Radiogirl
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Everybody...wow, am I nervous! My surgery is next Weds 3/31. And one week from tomorrow (Mon), I will leaving my home and doggie behind in Cleveland and heading to St. Louis. My sister will be going with me, while my other sister will stay at my house and pup-sit for me and then stay with me when I get home. What should I get done this week, and what should I get in my house to make life easier when I get home??? I am thinking a wheeled walker and a raised toilet....but what else? Uggg....I'm feeling soooo overwhelmed!!! :(

Doodles
03-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Laura--I'm not sure they would allow the wheeled walker. I think most places have you get a regular one in the hospital. I know there was a "kit" of things we purchased from the hospital in St. Louis. The raised toilet seat was very helpful---not in the kit. I know there's some good lists on here somewhere on what is needed and what isn't. Hang in there. As you go in I'll be finishing year #1 on March 30--you'll get there too! Janet

RitaR
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Dr. Lenke has a "spine kit" which includes a grabber with a long handle, sponge with a long handle and lots of other little goodies - everything you'd need except for the raised toilet seat - for $48. We went ahead and bought a raised toilet seat ahead of time - it's a must. It's helped me tremendously! But, having already bought one I'd recommend you get one with arms on it if at all possible, just makes little easier. Your sister can pick this up in Dr. Lenke's office while lyou're in the office if you decide to go with that.

LynetteG
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Laura - I'm also just over a week away, and I purchased a raised toilet seat with handles, I also got a grabber with a long handle, and a gadget to help me put socks on. I have been running round ragged getting my house in order for my mum and sons, buying groceries for the freezer, getting the bedroom ready for where my mum will be sleeping, cleaning the house as best I can, pest control for the house, goodies for my sons to look forward to having while I'm not there etc.etc.etc....I know how you feel being overwhelmed. However, like everyone else says on here, everything just sorts itself out, so one day at a time. I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear from you afterward, we will be swapping stories :)

titaniumed
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Laura,

Breathe. Calm blue ocean.

Just take things one step at a time. They will get you most of the items at the hospital and bill your insurance co.

I didnít do any planning at all and I made it just fine. I didnít need the raised toilet riser, however the foam for the bed helps with sleeping.

A wheeled walker probably isnt a great idea. My walker was invaluable upon getting out of bed. You use it for support as you first stand up, and you donít want it to move.

Here is a pic from skiing today at calm blue Lake Tahoe. lol

Pretty soon this will be over.
Ed

LynetteG
03-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Ed - that looks like a heavenly place where you are at right now - Lake Tahoe is always a place I've wanted to visit!

Shari
03-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow Ed,

You should put a "S" on your chest. I'm amazed.

Way to go guy,
Shari

titaniumed
03-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Thinking about skiing up at Tahoe was what I kept thinking of. Think of your future goals, about how well you will do after you have your new spines.

I talked my friends into going to the freestyle park for a look. They give me the stern look everytime. Its funny.

I miss the jumps....thatís a thing of the past... just happy to be pain free.

LynetteG
03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks Ed for your great advice - I'm thinking of being a successful hypnotist, and doing some public speaking to help others with similar experiences as mine. I see myself standing tall, straight, and slimmer than I am right now, motivating others!!! :). I also see myself being able to have fun playing with my sons without pain!

Laura - what do you see yourself doing?

loves to skate
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi Everybody...wow, am I nervous! My surgery is next Weds 3/31. And one week from tomorrow (Mon), I will leaving my home and doggie behind in Cleveland and heading to St. Louis. My sister will be going with me, while my other sister will stay at my house and pup-sit for me and then stay with me when I get home. What should I get done this week, and what should I get in my house to make life easier when I get home??? I am thinking a wheeled walker and a raised toilet....but what else? Uggg....I'm feeling soooo overwhelmed!!! :(

Radiogirl,

Don't buy anything yet. The hospital PT's and OT's will tell you what you need and will be provided for at the hospital. Some of the things you need will come in a kit and be paid for by your insurance. Some Doctors don't want you using a walker wheeled or not and some do. I didn't need a walker, just a cane.

Sally

ADMoul
03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Didn't need any kind of walker (at home) or shower chair. Raised toilet seats with handles are a godsend and I ended up borrowing them from someone who had the same surgery. I have grabbers upstairs, downstairs and even in the car now that I'm driving. I got cheapo ones at Target. Those things will pick up just about anything! Long handled shoe horn helps. I have the sock thing-y, but can pretty much do them sitting on the bed with my leg crossed over.
Keep track of any non-reimbused medical expenses. (even stuff like transportation and meals on the way to app'ts., esp. if your Dr. is long distance like mine was.) We're keeping separate hard copy files of what's reimbursed and what hasn't been. Depending on the amount and your situation, those expenses are tax deductible. Good luck to you. It's going to be OK and you will come out on the other side so much better off!!

LindaRacine
03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Preparing for Scoliosis Surgery:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

doodie
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Laura - we'll sure be thinking of you on the 31st! Try to get the most important things done now and then try not to sweat the small stuff. Things have a way of working out the way they are supposed to.

The only thing I bought before my surgery was an extra long shoehorn which I happened to see at Ikea and was only $.99. The hospital provided (and insurance paid for) a spine kit which included a walker (non-wheeled), a grabber, a sock-aid and a long handled shower sponge. They arranged delivery of a raised toilet seat with arm wrests. It was delivered 1 hour after we got home from the hospital and cost us $9.98 after insurance. I commented at the time that that was the best $10 bucks we ever spent!

I used the toilet seat in the shower for the first two showers. I sat down to take a shower because my sense of balance was off and when I closed my eyes I swayed in a scary way. And besides, I had no energy and it took a lot out of me those first couple of showers. I wasnít moving very fast either and with the heat of the water I felt pretty light headed. So it was a good investment.

Both the walker and the toilet seat made life just that much easier! Lots of challenges but using the bathroom didnít have to be one of them! Now, they are disassembled in two flat boxes in our attic. Hopefully we wonít have to use them again but they are ready in caseÖ.

ShariMSU
03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Laura - Good luck to you! I will be watching to see how your surgery goes. I am also 49 years old with a 62 degree curve. My surgery is April 15.
I got some good ideas from this question, thanks for asking it.

Radiogirl
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow..thank you all so much for your responses! Great ideas there.

And Ed.....sooooo nice of you to invite all of us to a Scoli reunion in Tahoe! That's my goal! hahah!!!! PARTY AT ED'S!!! :)

LynetteG
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
YAHOO - scoli reunion in Tahoe at Ed's. PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! :) :) :)

mbeckoff
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
That is so exciting!!!!

When is it?

Melissa

Shari
03-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Hi Anne,

You are doing so well, I am amazed !!! You have an Angel on your shoulder.
And you are doing really well w/ your recovery.

You are Blessed,
Shari

huskymom
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Laura, Good Luck tomorrow. You will do wonderful and I know your husky is going to take great care of you when you get home:)

I will praying for you! Post your progress as soon as you feel up to it. I will be anxiously awaiting to see how you are doing.

Remember, keep your chin up!! Stay Positive.

Melissa

titaniumed
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Your all welcome. There are plenty of things to see and do here.

Some great hikes and bike rides, for example the flume trail. Look at lower left side for trail. The views are fantastic.

The Docs all say to walk, donít they?
Ed

mbeckoff
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Your all welcome. There are plenty of things to see and do here.

Some great hikes and bike rides, for example the flume trail. Look at lower left side for trail. The views are fantastic.

The Docs all say to walk, donít they?
Ed

What a view!!

IS that ice?

Melissa

LynetteG
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow the views are magnificent Ed!

titaniumed
03-23-2010, 11:29 PM
No, just an area with no wind. The lake is 25 miles long.
Ed

gmw
03-24-2010, 05:33 AM
WOW! Beautiful picture!

RitaR
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
This is so beautiful we could keep it as our HAPPY PLACE!!!!

huskymom
03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Oops Laura, sorry I was a week ahead of myself. I keep thinking this is the last week of March now.

Melissa
Pre-op = 64 degree thoracic curve, 56 degree lumbar curve
Post-op = 19 degree thoracic curve, 10 degree lumbar curve

RitaR
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Laura: Please do not get too nervous about your big day. I didn't get a lot of sleep night before, although, so I know what you're talking about. My hubby did his best to keep me company becuase he knew I wasn't sleeping but he finally had to sleep. So cute! He was right by my side the whole time. Just like your sister will be with you. And, you can make it through anything with their support and just knowing that you have the world's best doctor working with you. And, with the support of our forum here, there's nothing you can't take on. Just remember - better to get it done and over with. Even knowing the surgery is over with is a joy! Took me a while to realize it was really over with. I'll be pulling for you Sister.