Spinal correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal correction

Originally my doctor told me he'd have to fuse me from T2 to the sacrum, due to my kyphosis high on the thoracic, then after reviewing my x-rays more thoroughly he said he could do my fusion from T9 to the sacrum. He told me at my pre-op that there would only be a 10% chance I'd need a revision in the future if my kyphosis gets worse. I have a question which I didn't think to ask my doctor at the time, so before I call his office up I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone happens to know - do you think I'd get a better correction on straightening my spine if he was to go from T2 instead of T9? Also even though he said there is only a 10% chance of having to have a revision surgery, I absolutely NEVER want to have any revision surgery in the future unless of course there is some kind of complication with this surgery, but otherwise no thank you. So what are your thoughts on this?
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Hi Lynette, at my first appt with my surgeon, he said i would be fused T4-S1, however after having further xrays and consulting with another two Spinal Fellows, they concluded that it would be sufficient to fuse me T12-S1. However, during surgery, they concluded that they needed to go to T11. My thoughts are that, personally, i think that they are miracle workers however, they cannot look into a crystal ball and tell you what the futureholds. Many other issues can come into affect, such as arthritis, degenerative disc etc etc. Be comforted by the fact that the are doing what is considered best for you at this time. No-one wants revision surgery, but sometimes (but rarely) it is required. Positive thinking = positive outcomes. Best wishes
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Lynette

This is a good question, and a tough one. Like Vali says, nobody will know what will happen down the road.

We all have to worry about our levels above and below our fusions.

It might be best to ask him what he thinks is best. Of course we all would like shorter fusions, and he might have given in after some thought. His first instinct was to go up high.... T2
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Now, if you go short and have problems in the future, you will think that he should have gone longer

If you go long and have problems, you will think he should have gone shorter.

I asked to go shorter and my surgeon wouldn’t give in at all. He never mentioned in my case that he "could" go shorter. I think this is why.

There is a big difference between starting at T2 and T9. That’s 7 levels.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed and Vali - thank you for your responses.

I have bad degeneration in my neck, and right now I have my neck in a neck brace because of the pain, and I just keep thinking with my kyphosis and everything, maybe it would be best to have him work from T2. He knew I am a single mom and that my elderly mom is taking care of my sons while I'm in hospital, and he had said to me - considering your situation I thought less surgery would be best for you right now. However, I don't even want a 10% chance of having to go back in there a few years down the line, anyway, I'll call his office tomorrow and talk to his secretary if I can get hold of her, and express my concerns. Also I'm going to request for a brace afterward, just because I will feel much more protected with one on, he did say it would be no problem for me to do that. All in all, I just feel the fact that I have to go in and have this surgery done anyway, maybe it would be best to just have the whole thing done from T2 now rather than have trouble down the line.
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette,

Seems like you have tough luck as well. If you trust your Dr., and you should, do whatever he says. You can always talk to other Dr.s.

Linda R. may even be able to steer you in the right direction. She is very aware of different situations.

Good Luck,
          Shari

Comment

Lynette,

Ed's right. You can't second guess the decision afterwards. Of course, ALL of us want no more surgery in our future. All we can do is live the best we can now with our new backs and hope for the best.

Talk with your surgeon about this and find out his reasons for his decision. That might help.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Just spoke to my surgeon and he basically confirmed what you all have said - he thinks it would be excessive to go from T2 right now, so that has basically calmed those thoughts down for me.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Hi Lynette...

I had the offer of a shorter surgery with a relatively high potential for additional surgery, or a longer surgery. I opted for the long surgery, thinking I would NEVER want to go back in. I now wish I had opted for the shorter surgery. The thought of additional surgery is daunting, but it's not really as bad as your mind is making you believe at the moment.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi Lynette...

I had the offer of a shorter surgery with a relatively high potential for additional surgery, or a longer surgery. I opted for the long surgery, thinking I would NEVER want to go back in. I now wish I had opted for the shorter surgery. The thought of additional surgery is daunting, but it's not really as bad as your mind is making you believe at the moment.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Hi Linda. I am curious as to why you wish you'd had the shorter surgery?
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      Hi Linda. I am curious as to why you wish you'd had the shorter surgery?

Linda,I am curious as well why do you wish you had the shorter surgery?

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

Mostly because just about all of my postop pain was in my thoracic spine. Had I ony had the lumbar curve fused, I suspect my recovery would have been an easy one.

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Hi Melissa...

Mostly because just about all of my postop pain was in my thoracic spine. Had I ony had the lumbar curve fused, I suspect my recovery would have been an easy one.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Thanks for answering

Makes sense

Comment

Working...
                          X