post op pain.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post op pain.....

Developed painful points above what I am guessing to be screws. In the beginning it was just two places nows it's about 5 different locations. They are bothersome now but just a little concerned that over time the pain will worsen....still less pain that pre-surgery!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi Susan, missed your presence on here. Had wondered how you had been doing. Sad to hear about the pain you are experiencing. Have you had an xray to check out whether it is the screws? Hopefully, this pain can be fixed swiftly. let us know how you get on
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Susan, been wondering how you've been getting on. I think an x-ray might be the go. I can't imagine all your screws becoming loose, but it might ease your worries. Have you lost a lot of weight lately?

I can imagine how having a 2 y.o. would be a strain on your back, there are times you can't not pick them up.

I hope you get some answers soon.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Susan

I had issues with that also. It took some time for things to toughen up in the "hardware areas".

It seems the more exercise I get, the better. Arm motions really help with the upper areas.

You are almost a year out. Do you have an appt with your surgeon?
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Hi Susan

I had issues with that also. It took some time for things to toughen up in the "hardware areas".

It seems the more exercise I get, the better. Arm motions really help with the upper areas.

You are almost a year out. Do you have an appt with your surgeon?
          Ed
          I'm in 100% agreement with Ed. Whenever I happen to have pain now, it's in the upper back area, and it's always when I'm being lazy about exercise. When I exercise regularly (with lots of upper arm movements) I do best. Of course, if I have a lazy month and DON'T do my regular routine for a while, and then start again---OH MY. My upper back KILLS for about a week. Then the only thing I can do is tough it out with tylenol or motrin and maybe a muscle relaxer at night.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I've had more xrays than anyone should have in 11 months! I see him for my one year follow up in a couple of weeks. All my xrays were always good, things healing on time and fusing great depsite a few mishaps along the way. I am active not only with exercise but with a toddler.....taking care of the house and laundry and all those fun things definitely make things worse of course. Getting off my feet periodically helps more than popping meds, though I am still on some but refuse to take more than what I am on. I did loose about 55 pounds after surgery....part from my pregnancy but most from the surgery. I fight to keep the weight on but seem to hovering around 119-120.....very thin to me compared to my bodybuidling days. Thank god I was muscular or else I would probably be about 10 pounds thinner.....ugh. I can't say that having more weight on would make it better. It would take gaining 50 pounds to have it go to my back before my butt:O) and the less weight the less stress on the back. The doc is happy with my weight but I think Debbie your right when you say that things may just have to toughen up a bit....thought I was tough enough but I guess not. Ed, despite upper body exercises, reaching over my head is still problematic.......I know there is still healing time to be had so I am trying to be patient. I guess we are all a work in progress!
            Susan

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input!!!!! Always appreciated and always open to suggestions. I have missed everyone as well but have been so busy with a never ending yet successful hockey season....ending in a St. Patty's Day Tournament win :O)
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X