Had my pre-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my pre-op

Everything went very smoothly. I first of all went in to meet with Dr. Cronen to ask any final questions that I had. He said he doesn't typically put braces on anyone after surgery, but if anyone wants to request one because they'd feel safer or for whatever reason they chose, he'd be more than happy to have the person measured up for one after surgery. So I'm not sure what to do about that, part of me wants to have a brace to feel more secure, the other part of me thinks well if Dr. Cronen thinks it's safe enough without one, I'd rather feel more free without one on - so at this point really not sure what to do there.

I was told that all my test results were normal - which was great to hear. My MRI's were perfect, the only thing was there is some degeneration in my neck, and actually today in that area my neck was hurting very badly. The surgery is definitely going to be T9 to the sacrum. Dr. Cronen was again fabulous - patiently answered ALL of my questions, and was in no hurry to get to his next patient, he always gives his patients the time that the patient needs, and has a lovely manner.

Then I went on over to the main hospital and did all my pre-registration papers, then went through to have some more blood work drawn, and was told in detail about where I'll be going on the day and what to expect etc., and how to clean my back that morning, and what and when not to eat or drink before surgery.

So - all in all everything went very well. My surgery is scheduled for 8:30am on April 1st, however I've to be there at 6:30am that morning. My best friend Paula is taking me to her house the night before as she is closer to the hospital, and that way when my boys go with their dad for their wednesday afternoon visit, I will say cheerio to them at that point, and then my mum will be at the house waiting for them when they get home, and I will go on my merry way with my friend.

I'll be glad when this is all behind me, and I can move forward with my life!
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

I'm glad it went well Lynette, you're almost there.

Will you have anyone in the hospital with you? It helps to have an advocate when you need something.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe - my best friend Paula will be there at the hospital waiting for surgery to be done, she is like a sister to me, I'm not sure if my brother will be there that day or not, I haven't asked him. My mum will be at home taking care of my li'l lads.

I just can't believe how quickly the time is flying past - I feel as though I have a million things to do, and not enough time to get it all done.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Good Luck Lynette and I hope all goes well with the surgery and soon you will be on the other side

Melissa

Comment

advocate

I’m going to jump in here to add to Debbe’s question about having someone with you in the hospital once your surgery is over.

My husband was ‘caught off guard’ by the amount of care I needed post-surgery and it really was taxing for him. I tried to tell him prior that I felt he needed someone else there to spell him but he insisted he could do anything that was required. I had a few complications (all unforeseeable of course) and my sister ended up coming out 3 days earlier than scheduled because he needed her. (So did I!)

My husband was incredulous at how lucid I sounded on so much pain medication but as lucid as I seemed at the time, I had little and sometimes no recollection of what the Drs. and nurses said to me (ie: call button). He kept repeating things when I asked the same questions over and over. It’s also important that someone else be responsible for knowing what medications you are on and what the dosage schedule is…I tended to wait until the pain was already getting out of control (once I was switched to oral meds) before I would ask for more.

Just my two cents! Hopefully everything will run smoothly for you. Sounds like your plans are firming up.
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

If you don't have anybody with you Lynette, you will still get looked after well. My partner thinks he's indispensable at work so continued working and driving the 300 k round trip for a quick visit each day. I was in hospital 19 days so by the end of that time, he missed a few days, through exhaustion! But it was fine. I think if you've got nobody there with you, you can relax more and sleep, or watch tv which distracts you a bit and you still get well taken care of.

I think if he'd been there, I'd have worried about his boredom and lack of sleep so I'm glad he wasn't. So it's not necessary to have someone there, for me it was a benefit.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Lynette,
              You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I was alone in the hospital much of the time and it was fine. I received excellent care. We had some bad snowstorms while I was in the hospital so there were days my husband couldn't make it in to see me. I slept much of the time and PT and OT were in to see me and take me for walks. The nurses were on the ball about medication and checked my bracelet each time and asked me my name and told me what medication they were giving me. If your nurse doesn't do that, make him or her. That is how hospitals prevent medication errors. You will be fine.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Jennifer - thanks for your advice and thanks to everyone else for your words of support and advice. I will have my best friend checking-in on me quite a bit post surgery, but I wouldn't expect or want her to sit by my bed all the time as she is a busy doctor at a nearby hospital, and my brother has a family and is trying to start a new business, my mum will be at my house taking care of my boys, so I will probably be alone quite a bit, but Jennifer thank you so much for re-assuring me as otherwise I was starting to panic a little there with what everyone else was saying about needing someone there. I will put my trust in the nursing staff and God that I will be taken care of
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

David - sorry you didn't have such a great experience, it amazes me because he has been great both times I've been there, and in fact even all the nurses I've spoken to there have said that's his trademark is, he ALWAYS gives the patients more time than any of the other doctors there. Perhaps you might want to call his secretary Tasha, she could probably get the previous patients to call you up. Good luck to you David, and thanks for keeping me in your prayers.
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Working...
                  X