Central Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Line

Can I ask my Doctor if he will put in a central line for me as I have such a hard time getting veins for IVs and blood tests?

Melissa

A central venous line is often used routinely for scoliosis surgery.

It enables rapid, reliable delivery of IVs and medications. Also, it can be used to monitor central venous pressure which monitors proper fluid balance.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Is it put in while you are in the OR for the surgery?

Comment

It's usually put in once a person is asleep. There has to be at least a small IV in place to start the anesthetic. If a central line is put in awake then local anesthetic is used.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

If I want the central line put in before the surgery , would that be something to speak to the surgeon about?

Comment

You can certainly ask. The anesthesia team usually inserts the line.

Comment

I'm not sure why you'd want to have it put in prior to surgery. The anesthesiology staff puts those things in every day, so I doubt there would be any issue.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The reason that I would want it put in before surgery is that then I will not have to have an IV put the morning of surgery . I have no veins and when they are trying to find a vein just to take a blood sample it takes about 15 minutes and its really hurts and I just don't feel like starting off my surgery like that, Besides a IV needle is larger than a butterfly needle as well

Melissa

Comment

i suspect there will be alot of pain to deal with...after the surgery....
                  the hand veins can work with alot of fluid drinking first...the pain is momentary...
                  worst to worst, would expect anesthesiologist will get a vein...never seen one not be able to, one way or another...or so my doctor told me when i had some troubles...back when i got a central line, they pushed it thru major blood vessels in neck ...no general anesthetic...just a little local novocaine! seems their methods have improved alot since then, with anesthesia for insertions....my friend was knocked out, woke up with line in place.....she told me she prefers the newer methods to the old, barbaric one i endured!

best of luck
                  jess

Comment

So is the general opinion that I would be happy or unhappy to get the central line put in before surgery?

Melissa

Comment

I didn't know it was called a central line, but I had one in my neck. Had it done while I was asleep, so didn't feel it, but did hurt coming out. I had IV or lines on each arm also. On third night, blood pressure dropped, so they began giving me blood on each arm. They used blood pressure cuff to squeeze blood bag, in order to get it into me quicker. With water in lungs, blood pressure and rapid heart rate, it was my worst day, but everything stablize the next day. down hill after that.

Comment

Some people have "impossible" veins.

Some people have extremely small or deep vein.

I have seen people in my practice who have needed to have a central line inserted pre-op because, even the most experienced of us, have been unable to start a regular IV. A large central vein in the neck or under the collar bone for example are used. It is not fair to keep poking.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                          Some people have extremely small or deep vein.

I have seen people in my practice who have needed to have a central line inserted pre-op because, even the most experienced of us, have been unable to start a regular IV. A large central vein in the neck or under the collar bone for example are used. It is not fair to keep poking.
                          That is my problem . So would not I be better off having a Central line put in before surgery so I don;t have to be poked on the morning of surgery?

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

Just talk to the anesthesia team and your surgeon in advance. Let them do what they think is best. A central line is not without risks. If left in too long then it can be an entryway for infection. Every hospital has their own protocol to prevent this.

Comment

weighing in my opinion

I had a small butterfly put in right in the crook of my elbow right after I stripped down to my hospital gown. These nurses do this several times each day as did I in my day. You will also talk to your anesthesiologist at this time. My veins are small. They put in a central line in my neck after they put me out. I was on my stomach for 8 hrs so that was the best place for it. Also to get 4 units of blood into me during surgery.
                              Don't worry about this. In the whole scheme of things, this is minor. Bless you and good luck on your upcoming surgery!
                              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                              X