Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months later now what!

Hey i need some clarity,

Ok about 6 months ago i had my surgery, I have mostly good days when i over exert myself i spend about a week of discomfort paying for it. Today my doctor looked at my ex-rays and said that i am doing great and that i don't have to set any more appts. He wants me to go the gym and excercise. Today was my first day back at work. And already my boss was telling me to lift boxes. she said that she had serious back surgery before and u are suppose to build up your strength. I told her i wasn't lifting anything above 5lbs. ( that is what i have been doing for the past 6 months i have not even bent over to touch my toes yet. I know that nobody is a doctor on here but what has been ur experience after 6 months? i thought the healing process takes 3 years!

Hi,
    No way would I lift boxes..stick to your guns, get a letter from your doctor...
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

Going back to work after 6 mos! You are doing GREAT! I am 1 1/2 years after surgery, still have a rough day now and then when I overdo things. The only person who really understands that I can't over do things is my hubby- he saw what I went through. Others see me up, around, looking normal- yes I am way better than pre-surgery, but will always have to take care of my back. I tend to do better on days when I get on the treadmill like I'm supposed to and do my daily exercises. (today- I was too busy--- yea right--- I needed to even more!) Hang in there.

Mary Gail
      fused T11-L5 with rods
      April 8,2003
      Dr. Crandall, Phoenix - GREATEST doctor ever!

Comment

My surgery was 6 months ago also. I went back to work at 5 months with resistrictions. One of them is no lifting, carrying, or pushing anything over 10 pounds. That holds until December, when I go back for more x-rays to see how the fusions are doing. I still don't have enough muscle strength to walk without a cane. It's getting better every day.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Best thing to do in this situation is to call up your doctor, ask for advisement on any weight limitations you have, and have them fax or e-mail a note stating this to your boss.
          I personally have been able to carry around 50 lb bags of horse feed since 5 months post op without a lot of pain, and lately absolutely no pain... ... But everyone heals different, and no my surgeon didn't give me permission. I'm also only 21 so....
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I had my surgery 10 months ago. I did go back to work on at part-time basis after 5 wks, but had alot of restrictions. No twisting, lifting over 10 lbs and no bending. I was also in a brace for 6 months. I still am very careful not to twist. My dr said I shouldn't lift anything over 10-15 lbs for the first year. I feel alot stronger now, but still have to be careful. Get your dr to write a letter about your restrictions. Good luck!

Comment

Post-Op revoery time

It takes about 1 year for the fusions to harden I think. I went back to work with restrictions (and shortened work schedule) 1 month after surgery. 6 months later I went bowling! I was pain free about 1 1/2 - 2 years after surgery... and still am, 5+ years later.

Good luck, and better safe than sorry. That said, at some point you should use your muscles. I have found abdominal excercise (pilates, crunches, etc) seem to ease back soreness. When I don't exercise, my back gets sore more easily.

Rachel
              Rachel

Comment

Working...
              X