Recliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recliner?

I do not have a recliner in my home, and was considering possibly purchasing a recliner from a medical store which costs $850 approx. This chair not only goes all the way back into a laying down position, but also comes up the other way bringing you into almost a standing position to help get you out of the chair. Do you think I should spend the money on getting a recliner? My brother thinks that it's not good to have a recliner after this kind of surgery, as he says you need to get used to sitting upright - what's all of your opinions on this?
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Lynette,

I wouldn't waste my money on one. They are meant for people with arthritis of the knees and hips who can't get up out of a chair without some help. After surgery, you should sit in a hard chair with arms (like a captains chair) to help you push up and when you can sit no longer, lie down on a sofa or a bed and log roll when you need to get up. If you use an expensive recliner like you are looking at, you will rely on it to get you up, rather than using your muscles to help build back your strength. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I used a recliner when I got home, but never reclined it. I would prop about 3 pillows behind me, so it would keep me straight up. I did try to recline it once, but it felt uncomfortable. I wouldn't waste my money.

Comment

Before my surgery my husband and I bought matching 'home theater' type reclining chairs - one for each of us. We did think about what might be comfortable after the surgery and I thought these particular chairs would be great....boy was I ever wrong! I could do no more than perch on the end of it for 5 minutes at a time. The seat was just too cushy and forget about the reclining part - not even remotely possible for me.

But around 5 months out, I tried sitting in the chair and reclining in it and it's good! So it wasn't a waste of money after all - just took awhile to be able to use it.
        Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
        Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
        Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
        A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
        Achieved +70% Correction
        Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
        New Spine 03/19/2009
        New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
          Lynette,

I wouldn't waste my money on one. They are meant for people with arthritis of the knees and hips who can't get up out of a chair without some help. After surgery, you should sit in a hard chair with arms (like a captains chair) to help you push up and when you can sit no longer, lie down on a sofa or a bed and log roll when you need to get up. If you use an expensive recliner like you are looking at, you will rely on it to get you up, rather than using your muscles to help build back your strength. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sally
          I'm with Sally. At first all I could sit in were straight backed chairs with pillows behind my back. I tried to sit in recliners but they felt terribly uncomfortable. It was a good 6 months before a recliner felt good, and even then, it was with lots of extra pillows.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you all for your input - that was exactly pretty much what my brother said
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

I guess we're all different. The recliner we had was my lifesaver for the first week or so at home. (It was just your basic leather one, not one of those with the seat that lifts you up.) I just couldn't get comfortable in bed. We bought the 3" mattress topper and a week ago, took it off. It just didn't work for me. I would get sort of squished down into it and it made it all the more difficult to try to move in bed. (My husband loved it, but that's the way it always goes!) Anyway, I could sleep in the recliner pushed back with my feet up on the ottoman more easily than I could in bed for that first week and the leather was easy to move around on. Granted, I had muscle spasms and more pain and discomfort at night than I had during the day so I guess it all depends on how you heal and what works for you. I'm one that likes a really firm mattress, though so maybe that was part of it. Some chairs are harder to get out of than others and I used a dining room chair with arms and a pillow at the kitchen table for meals. On another subject, definitely get the raised toilet seat with arms. For me that was a necessity and am still using it. Good luck--it's an interesting journey, but worth it!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks Anne - I did actually get the toilet seat with the arms on it, and I also got a contraption that helps you put your socks on without having to bend, and a picker upper from my local medical store . I tell my kids that these are my hospital toys
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Working...
                X