Questions galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions galore!

I've decided that I definitely need to do surgery, however how long of a fusion will remain to be seen. While I'm waiting for my next appointment in May I came up with some questions.

1. Has anyone had bladder/bowel changes or menstrual changes before surgery? After surgery?

2. What's the most height gain you've heard of for anyone after surgery? At this point I'll just take half an inch... more would be a dream!

3. After surgery has anyone's abs/torso flattened out, even a little? I have flub (or muffin top) that I can't get rid of after having my daughter.

4. How long should I expect to be out of work? I understand that as long as I'm on pain meds that I can't drive, which means I can't work.

I understand that everyone is different, but even to just learn about others experiences will be helpful. I have loads of questions for the surgeon, they may have to tack on some extra time for my appointment!

Thanks for everything!
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

I got my OK to drive yesterday at my 6 week app't. I have been off of narcotic pain meds for almost 2 weeks. I think that's a big factor with driving. I am older with more severe curves, but I am off the entire second half of the school year. I will go back in the fall. (Obviously, off for the summer anyway.) I think it depends on the extent of your surgery and the type of work that you do. I think the younger you are, the more rapidly you will recover. Good luck to you!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Anne, did he give an time length restrictions on driving? I only ask because I work 30-45 minutes away.
      Tiffany K

29 years old
      4'11", never braced

Comment

Originally posted by TiffanyK View Post
        Anne, did he give an time length restrictions on driving? I only ask because I work 30-45 minutes away.
        I was released to drive a good 2-3 weeks before I actually did (it worked out NOT to because I was training for a 5K).

Hate to burst your bubble, kiddo, but *getting* to work won't be the problem that keeps you from going back as quickly as you anticipate. I have never seen anyone unable to return to the office because they aren't allowed to drive.

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

You're not bursting my bubble. I'm just trying to figure out how much time I should really be looking at to be out of work. I don't want my boss to hire a temp that I'll have to train for a couple weeks if I won't be out more than two months. It's a waste of time and money to train someone for a short time when I can contact clients through email at home (in a comfy chair or bed of course!).

Has anyone had the bladder/bowel problem before surgery?? I'm really curious about this because it's been getting worse for me over the past year. When my pain increased, certain functions changed and I'm not happy about it. It's starting to get to the point of being embarrassing.
          Last edited by TiffanyK; 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM.
          Tiffany K

29 years old
          4'11", never braced

Comment

You're not bursting my bubble. I'm just trying to figure out how much time I should really be looking at to be out of work. I don't want my boss to hire a temp that I'll have to train for a couple weeks if I won't be out more than two months. It's a waste of time and money to train someone for a short time when I can contact clients through email at home (in a comfy chair or bed of course!).
            Ah. Based on your ability to work from home, and depending on your "have to attend in person" duties, 2 months *should* be okay. Personally, I'd train a backup anyway. Yes, I realize the downside of training one.

Has anyone had the bladder/bowel problem before surgery?? I'm really curious about this because it's been getting worse for me over the past year. When my pain increased, certain functions changed and I'm not happy about it. It's starting to get to the point of being embarrassing.
            You have a < 50° thoracic curve from what I remember ... that shouldn't cause what's going on (but there are always exceptions). Have you seen a gastroenterologist/urologist - or even your OBG? If not, that would be my first suggestion.

Unfortunately, a scoliosis surgeon (especially with your relatively small curve) probably won't take much interest in that issue. Then again, have you had one do a MRI series yet?

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

I haven't seen a gastroenterologist/urologist, but I have seen my ob/gyn. I had problems right after I had my daughter as it was a long labor and she had a big head. I took meds for that and it went away over a couple months and haven't had a problem until about a year ago. At that point I had an MRI from which they saw a bulging disc and sacroliitis. I wasn't told much to do other than take alieve, calcium, and vitamin d. The bladder/bowel problem never stopped and actually got worse. I thought part of the problem was from the calcium and the fact that I eat a lot of dairy products (probably way too much). I stopped the calcium for a bit to test my theory out, but it didn't change.

The scoliosis surgeon I saw last month did ask about bladder/bowel changes and I told him about it. He seemed concerned, but didn't say anything other than he wanted to see me in 3 months. Until about a week or two ago the problem stayed the same for a while.
              Tiffany K

29 years old
              4'11", never braced

Comment

Hi Tiffany
                i am so sorry you are having these probelms....but i kinda agree that the bladder/bowel problems dont make sense in terms of the curves...the degree of curve and the location as well....
                have you consulted with other doctors so you can get more than one opinion? and i agree with Pam about seeing a gastroenterologist or urologist as well....

jess
                Last edited by jrnyc; 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I've only gotten a second opinion for my back... not this problem.
                  Tiffany K

29 years old
                  4'11", never braced

Comment

Working...
                  X