PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol - another crazy question :)

LynetteG
03-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Most Fridays my sons stay overnight with their father and step-mother, so I go out for a couple of hours with my two best friends. I usually imbibe in a couple of drinks, when should I stop imbibing before surgery? Should I stop now, or two weeks out? Anyone know?

osumike
03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
What does imbibe mean?

LynetteG
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Sorry - should have been clearer :) It means to drink alcohol!

debbei
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but I totally stopped a few weeks prior to my surgery. I scheduled my surgery in June for October 15th. Needless to say, I made sure I had a good time that summer. I significantly slowed down once September rolled around and I think totally stopped by Oct 1st.

It's probably worth asking the surgeon.

naptown78
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
He he he....I think you should "imbibe" the night before for relaxation purposes!!!

(just kidding)

Shari
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I have to agree w/ Naptown, it's going to be a while before you feel like induldging again..

I'll raise my Bud Light to you.
Shari

LynetteG
03-12-2010, 09:58 PM
LOL!!! You guys crack me up. Actually I asked my best buddy tonight - who happens to be a doctor of audiology, and she said that to stop completely two weeks before surgery would be good. So tonight was my last night for a few drinkies :) :). It sure does help with relaxing my mind sometimes - but - you gotta do what you gotta do :)

mbeckoff
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
My surgeon and the hospital had said two nights before the surgery was the last time to have a drink.

Melissa

Doodles
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I think the fewer the better is probably right. The Friday before my Monday surgery after I had gotten my central line and some other tests, I asked the nurse if we went out to eat that night if it was OK to have a drink or two. She asked what surgery I was having again and I told her. She said, Yeah go ahead. Drink. Drink heavily. And left the room. I thought it was pretty hilarious. (I think I had two.) Janet

JenniferG
03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
:D Me too Janet (think it's hilarious!)

titaniumed
03-13-2010, 12:47 AM
I was in "health mode" before and after my scoli surgeries. My surgeon wanted me to lose weight, and eat ultra healthy as he wanted my immune systems strong. I did that for 3 months before going in.

Shari is right on indulging again. I think my first beer was about 18 months post. Maybe I should have been drinking whiskey to break up my gall stones... It probably would have taken several bottles as the stones were golf ball size. That might have been ok if I was a golf ball salesman, but Im not. LOL

I really didnít want to "catch a buzz" after all the drugs I had done. There really wouldnít be anything that would compare.....

Anesthesia is the ticket....itís the only way to completely remove pain 100%
Ed

osumike
03-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I really used to like to have a few beers or a whisky with my buds. All of a sudden, about 2 months ago, I just decided I didnt want to drink anymore. At all. My surgeon told me he wouldnt operate on me unless I quit smoking, and I did cold turkey. Im loving it and having no issues with it at all. Drinking just kind of followed suit I guess. Also, because Im taking percocet, its probably not a good idea to mix that with alcohol...

titaniumed
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
One thing you donít want to do is mix. Thatís a no-no. Mixing anything, alcohol, medications, etc complicates things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

Ed

theizzard
03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
i thought Ms. Quinlan took quaaludes and not valium but I guess I am wrong. Anyway, I don't drink at all and haven't in quite a few years, but I remember when I had knee surgery about 30 years ago when I still drank and I certainly did imbibe and imbibed heavily if I remember correctly!! I guess the answer is if you are taking any benzos or opiates they just don't mix with alcohol as Ed has kindly reminded us. But if you aren't taking any meds what difference it would make, as long as you don't get so drunk you are too hungover to attend your own surgery. That would be awful.
Avis:D

mbeckoff
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
i thought Ms. Quinlan took quaaludes and not valium but I guess I am wrong. Anyway, I don't drink at all and haven't in quite a few years, but I remember when I had knee surgery about 30 years ago when I still drank and I certainly did imbibe and imbibed heavily if I remember correctly!! I guess the answer is if you are taking any benzos or opiates they just don't mix with alcohol as Ed has kindly reminded us. But if you aren't taking any meds what difference it would make, as long as you don't get so drunk you are too hungover to attend your own surgery. That would be awful.
Avis:D

That would be pretty bad if you woke up too hung over to get out of bed on time to get to the hospital for your own surgery

Melissa

LynetteG
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow so I could have some more drinkies before surgery :) :) Actually - I'm going to quit now till way after the surgery, I'm 30 lbs overweight right now, and need to follow healthy diet and no alcohol. I've been swimming laps for an hour and 15 minutes almost every day, doing 100 ab exercises every day (as per my brother's advice), and if I don't get to the pool then I walk on the treadmill for as long as I can before it gets too painful - usually 30 mins to 40 mins. So I have no problem with the exercise, I love swimming and working out, BUT the diet is what I always always struggle with. I'm a sugar addict - and that SUCKS!!! However, I will do my very very best to stay off the sugar too now - so wish me luck everybody :)

naptown78
03-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Lynette,
I actually didn't even think about alcohol and had a couple glasses of wine on a business trip last week. My surgery is set in less than a week. I won't be drinking anyway as I don't usually unless in a social situation. After my first surgery I was on so much pain medicine, I didn't want to mix it so didn't drink any alcohol for a long time. I envy your energy and wish I was able to exercise like you! Good luck on April 1!!!

allycat
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I've never been a huge drinker, and really only enjoyed a Captain Morgan and Diet Coke on the boat in the summer. Wait, no, I REALLY enjoyed the Captain! But after my surgery in June 2008, I've just not had any interest in drinking. I've maybe had 4 Captain and Diet's since, and I tried a glass of wine a few weeks ago but it just didn't hit the spot. So I just don't drink. There are days after work that I wish I still enjoyed it cause I could really use the relaxation, but with the narcotics it's just not worth it.
My surgeon never even brought it up so I didn't give it any thought before my surgery. But since I wasn't a big drinker anyway, it wasn't an issue.

txmarinemom
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
That would be pretty bad if you woke up too hung over to get out of bed on time to get to the hospital for your own surgery

Hilarious. There aren't even words to describe the horror if you missed your surgery time! Aggggh.

My surgery was bright and early on a Tuesday morning, and my "last blowout" was on that preceding Saturday.

Aside from having a Bloody Mary the morning after we finished the AIDS Walk Houston 5K (33 days post-op), I don't think I drank again until maybe 8-10 weeks out.

Since alcohol's a vasodilator, I wouldn't recommend the night before. :)

However, unless you're drinking heavily every day, alcohol clears your system pretty quickly: Just my opinion, but I've never seen or heard anything "science based" regarding more than a few days prior.

Then again, I'm not your doctor. Ask him/her.

ShariMSU
03-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Lynette - thanks for posting this question! I was truly sitting on the couch just talking to my husband about this. My surgery is a little over a month away. I was thinking I should stop alcohol maybe a month out. But it's March Madness and I can't imagine watching the games without a cold beer. We are just social drinkers so after reading these posts I think I will aim for 2-3 weeks out to stop. Thanks again for the feedback.

ADMoul
03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I had a glass of wine with my last decent meal before surgery. And then had my first glass about a week and a half ago when I was totally off the percocet. I am a nightly "chardonnay before dinner" girl and believe me, I didn't have any desire for it whatsover during those early post-op weeks. Our bodies know what they're doing--we just have to pay attention to what they're saying!

jrnyc
03-15-2010, 01:16 AM
all this "stop a month before" i think is nerves...any cop can tell you how long alcohol take to leave your system, and it is not very long...depending on how much and how long you drank...
as a social worker & drug & alcohol counselor..i can tell you that stopping alcohol 1 day before would be fine...although if the hospital says 2, i guess they are being careful...whether or not you ever want to pick it back up....well, that's another thing entirely! :)

jess

Radiogirl
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Lynette! My surgery is the day before yours..on 3/31. It's getting so close now!!! I plan on having a glass (or two) of wine with my dinner on Monday night, 3/29, the night I get in to St. Louis. The next morning I get my central line installed, I won't drink that night, then the next day is my surgery! Yikes!! Getttting nerrrvoussss!!! :) I NEVER even THOUGHT about not drinking, so thanks for bringing it up! They never mentioned anything about it at my pre-op.

Lynette...good luck to you! We will compare notes after!!! :)

Laura

mbeckoff
03-15-2010, 10:52 PM
why do some surgeons put in a central line while most others do not?

Melissa

LynetteG
03-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Laura - yep I'm definitely getting nervous now. Yesterday I saw my family doctor for EKG, chest x-ray, and blood work, the EKG was great apparently. Don't know about the other results yet. This Friday I see my surgeon for my pre-op at 11:15am. I would love to compare notes with you Laura - nice idea to have dinner out the night you arrive in St. Louis, and I will continue to have my little drinkies with my girlfriends on the Fridays before surgery, only two Fridays left - :)

mbeckoff
03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Hope all goes well

Melissa

loves to skate
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
why do some surgeons put in a central line while most others do not?

Melissa
Good question Melissa. I don't have the answer. Mine was put in the day of surgery when I was already asleep. I believe it is a quick way of getting medication into you in case of emergency, but that is only an educated guess.
Sally

mbeckoff
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Before they take you into the OR, do they put an IV in your hand if you are getting an central line? I have such a hard time with my veins.They can never find them. It is so painful for me and no matter how hard I try not to I always wind up crying because it hurts so much.

Melissa

txmarinemom
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I have such a hard time with my veins.They can never find them. It is so painful for me and no matter how hard I try not to I always wind up crying because it hurts so much.

Melissa, I have the same issue ... and have had IVs (or hep-locks) about 25-30 times.

Have them give you a shot of buffered lidocaine first: It's an initial sting (completely bearable), but you never feel the rest.

Pam

mbeckoff
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks I will do that

Melissa

LynetteG
03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Melissa - I also have such a hard time with my veins. When I was in hospital for my premature babies, they had to call the IV team God knows how many times to try to get the needles in my veins.

titaniumed
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Ive had so many IVs inserted that technically, I should be leaking someplace!

Some depending on experience, can take several minutes....

My vascular surgeon... 1.2 seconds flat.

Like Clint Eastwood shooting 3 Italian bad guys at a time. Several replays are required to catch the proper technique.....

Ed

Jimbo
03-18-2010, 04:16 AM
I stopped one month before surgery.

However, my surgeon did not specify alcohol was to be stopped before surgery. It is usually done of one's own volition.

I think you will know when to stop :)

jrnyc
03-18-2010, 04:39 AM
i. too have tiny veins..inherited from my mohter...if they cant get in with a baby needle (butterfly), they use the hand...one time they wanted to try my neck (:eek:) but i drew the line! i couldnt do hep locks, so had to get a central line in my chest!

nowadays, i just ask for a butterfly needle, hold my breath, let them use my hand if they need to....the really skilled girls can usually get in...or else i have to drink a whole lot of fluids & have them try again!

jess

mbeckoff
03-18-2010, 07:18 AM
i. too have tiny veins..inherited from my mohter...if they cant get in with a baby needle (butterfly), they use the hand...one time they wanted to try my neck (:eek:) but i drew the line! i couldnt do hep locks, so had to get a central line in my chest!

nowadays, i just ask for a butterfly needle, hold my breath, let them use my hand if they need to....the really skilled girls can usually get in...or else i have to drink a whole lot of fluids & have them try again!

jess

This is what I am very concerned about. Before I go into the OR they told me that they would give me an IV. The IV needles are larger than the butterfly needles. correct? I really do not want to start off the surgery with me crying because no matter how hard I try not to I usually end up crying as it hurts as they poke around looking for a vein

Exactly what is a central line and what does it do?

Melissa