• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning up

The following people ON THIS FORUM might consider responding ON forum:

1. Deutchman (chiro)

2. Anand (orthopedic surgeon)

3. Rivard (orthopedic surgeon)

These are people who either have posted on the forum, have login accounts, or otherwise read or get reports and respond OFF forum.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-12-2010, 06:42 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

And how about asking out of common courtesy, that any medical professionals on this forum who log on to read posts by their patients or the parents of their patients, so that they can contact them privately to discuss such posts, come out of the closet and let everyone know you're here.

As someone else commented to me this morning about this practice of doctors "lurking" without anyone's knowledge............it creeps us out!!

Not to mention it screams of unprofessionalism.
    Last edited by mariaf; 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I am not, and have never been, a doctor. But, it is considered good customer support practice to actively search for unhappy customers and contact them in order to resolve any complaints. If that's what's happening, i don't think that's a bad thing, and I don't necessarily feel that the doctors have to participate in the discussions on the forum.

Comment

No, it would not be a bad thing if that was what was happening, but I honestly don't think that is the case. Just my opinion.

I do feel though that these guys view medicine purely as a business.

This forum is a place where parents and patients come for support and to share common experiences. If Dr. Deutchman, for example, is looking to improve customer service, he might try instread reducing the ridiculous fees he charges for an office visit and actually LISTENING to what the patient/parent is saying.

I find it hard to believe that a guy who charged a parent a huge amount of money for an office visit and then DISREGARDED everything that parent told him about what he wished to accomplish at that visit, is spending hours surfing the net so he can improve customer service.
        Last edited by mariaf; 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Sharon -
          "Manning Up" .. when I first saw those words, my first reaction was: what a concept! A few days later, I find myself pondering .. If everyone in the Health Care profession (in all disciplines) did that - our providers would be busy conducting seminars in order to educate us.

I have some names I would like to add to your list as some questions have surfaced in my little mind. Like - how could a difference of 5 degrees (using a method that is not scientifically accurate) be a make or break deal in combining bracing methods ... why is a brace which is designed to "gently" correct over time, being asked to preform like a Cheneau which gives an immediate large correction (not being critical, maybe this proves valuable, just noting that it is not the norm) and I must say I do wonder about a strap change at three months (maybe the straps were defective from the manufacturer? I just do not know).

Hdugger -
          Agree with what you said 100%. Health care providers have an obligation really, to seek out unhappy customers and resolve complaints - if they don't do that ... then I think they do not have our best interests in mind.

MariaF -
          Treatment fees are a hot topic everywhere. In all fairness, in my experience, Dr. Deutchman's fees do not seem outrageous when compared to those of others. In network insurance covers those fees 100% and out of network between 60-80% (after deductibles are met). For those who are not independently wealthy, like myself, treatment fees (in any health care discipline), become a true challenge to any patient. Right now, for example - say I had to have surgery as a life saving treatment ... my first choice at this point in time would be Lenke and I would consider a consultation with Anand. At best, this would require my coming up with 100% of the cost of surgery and waiting to be reimbursed 60-80% (IF my out of network insurance would cover them). Could I do that? Absolutely not. As it is - this time last year, when I could not afford the up front payment of bracing .. my dad stepped up and gifted me with the money. Otherwise, I would just now be in a position to begin treatment without breaking my budget and operating in the red, or taking food off my table so to speak. A sorry state of affairs for most people who are good hard working citizens. Fodder for another thread :-)

In general-
          Our topic at hand has been on my mind for days. I see a parent who is most thorough, combining many treatments and finding that those treatments are benefiting her daughter .. and I have the greatest admiration for her. Best case scenario would have been a real time consultation among all care givers at the point of a new consultation. Maybe one day that will be the norm - but for now, I admit that is a lot to expect.

As a patient of someone who is affiliated with the NYC office in question, it is troubling to see this unhappy experience played out in public forum when my treatment has been so rewarding. I am not a patient of Dr. Deutchman, and have only met him twice. Both he and Dr. Lamantia (who is my provider) travel extensively throughout the US making this bracing treatment available to those who cannot travel to NYC. If they did not, I would not be benefiting from this treatment as traveling to NYC every 3 months for bracing adjustments would be beyond the realm of possibilities for me. I do get a sense from both of them - that they truly care about their patients and that both have dedicated their professional lives to helping others as best they can - including traveling to Germany many times in order to become Schroth certified.

I have no special privileged information about this situation, nor would I expect to have such, given patient/doctor confidentiality. But, based on my experience with this office - I do honestly believe that this situation is weighing heavily upon their hearts and minds. I do not expect them to discuss it in open forum for confidentially reasons - but do expect, from my experience with them - to know that this situation will be resolved as best it can be under the circumstances. Can the situation be adequately resolved for all parties concerned? Probably not. The silver lining perhaps being that from this experience - both patients and health care providers - learn something valuable to take into the future. The definition of value being unique to each.

As for doctors participating in public forum - wouldn't that breech patient/doctor confidentiality? I think so. As for doctors lurking on site - I'd be willing to bet this forum is read by more people than we would ever imagine - many of them in the health care professions. And I think, there are no "private" conversations in an open public forum which often shows up in Google searches.

Just my 2 cents.
          Last edited by mamamax; 03-13-2010, 12:41 PM. Reason: 2 typos last paragraph - a lefty - retrained righty ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X