Posture improve after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posture improve after surgery?

For those who have had surgery, has your posture improved? My posture is terrible. I work at a computer most of the day and I try to sit straight but my back muscles begin to ache from forcing myself to sit straight, so I slouch, which also makes my back ache. I would love to hear that in addition to the surgery straightening my spine, the thoracoplasty ridding me of (most) of my rib hump, that my posture will be better!
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Originally posted by lray View Post
    For those who have had surgery, has your posture improved? My posture is terrible. I work at a computer most of the day and I try to sit straight but my back muscles begin to ache from forcing myself to sit straight, so I slouch, which also makes my back ache. I would love to hear that in addition to the surgery straightening my spine, the thoracoplasty ridding me of (most) of my rib hump, that my posture will be better!
    I'm fused T3-L3. People who don't know my history tell me what wonderful posture I have now. I don't *think* I slumped before, but now, I couldn't if I tried. It's not physically possible.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am at 6 weeks post-op and still in my lovely clamshell brace, but everyone who sees me for the first time since surgery, remarks about how much straighter I look. It's wonderful to look in the mirror and see that your shoulders are even! My curves were severe and my back was very stiff so there were limitations on how much correction they could get. I think I'll get my exact no's at Mon. app't. but even in my case, there was a major improvement in posture. The kyphosis I was starting to develop at the lumbar curve is gone. Sitting, standing, and walking all feel different and so much better, even with the post-op pain and stiffness.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks Anne and Debbe for your comments. Sounds like you are both happy with your results thus far and having better posture! I'm looking forward to that part too. Some days I wish I had a back brace to put on so it would force me to sit up straight & take the pressure off my weak back muscles.

Thanks again!
        Laurie
        Age 57
        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
        Dr Munish Gupta
        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Oh yes your posture will improve A LOT! I am fused from T2 to L2, 24 days post-op and my posture is perfect. Hump on back and rib humps in front are all completely gone. I also gained 3 inches in heighth from my surgery as well. There are SOOOO many benefits to surgery. Let me know if you have any other questions...
          Melissa

Comment

Wow this is all so encouraging - thanks everyone - feeling better and better now about my upcoming surgery
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Iray,

I never has bad posture, my right shoulder was slightly lower and my rib hump was prominate, but I always dressed to hide it. Got to be damn near an expert at it.

But I was never so excited when I was able to finally put on a tight shirt w/o
              feeling self-conscience. It is on the vain side, but to me it was a miracle.

Shari

Comment

Working...
              X