PDA

View Full Version : Seven Months Out - T10-Sancrum

Zoee
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Today is my 7 month anniversary of my spinal fusion. I am 54 years old and had fusion T-10 to Sancrum. For the last ten years, my pain had gradually gotten worse and worse, limiting many of my physical activities. I was TERRIFIED of having any kind of surgery - tried chiropractics, shots, massage, etc and finally nothing was working. I did a lot of research before finding a surgeon who specialized in this kind of surgery - Dr. Dennis Crandall in Phoenix. I can't reiterate enough how scared I was - and I had to wait almost 5 months for the surgery!!!

My good news is that I am 100% pain free after 7 months! I've actually been pain free probably after 4 months. I did p/t as prescribed and walked a lot. Now I am swimming 40 laps three times a week, taking one hour spinning classes three times a week, and feeling AWESOME. My only limitation is I still use the gizmo to put socks on and I can't trim my toe nails - so that's a perfect excuse to get a pedicure!!!

I wanted to share this with everyone who is facing a similar surgery in the coming months, or who is just out of surgery facing a long recovery. There are certainly days and/or weeks when you will be frustrated, in pain and wondering if it was worth it - just hang in there and do what the doctors tell you!:)

loves to skate
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Zoee,

Congratulations!:) It is always great to hear of another success story as it is so encouraging to others who are on the fence about having surgery.

Sally

JenniferG
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
That's great news Zoee. It's great for those facing surgery to hear about the successes. I hope you remain pain free for the rest of your life.
PS I'm pain free too, I hope it lasts!

gmw
03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
:)Thanks for this encouraging report! It's great to read these success stories!!!!

Doodles
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Zoee--That's fantastic! Congrats to you. Janet

ADMoul
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
So encouraging to read your post. How long did you have to wait to get back in the pool? I am a lifelong swimmer (6 weeks post-op this Tues.) and would just love to get back in the water. Am walking almost 2 miles a day but miss the smell of chlorine!:) I have my check-up on Mon.--hoping to get some good news.

osumike
03-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Zoee....glad to hear you are doing so well! I have a few questions for you though. What were your curves before and now after surgery? Im curious because I have a 66 degree thorasic and 66 lumbar curve. My surgeon wants to fuse me from T-10 or T-11 to sacrum and leave the thorasic curve alone. Where was most of your pain pre- surgery? I have alot of lower back pain, but also some like right in the middle of my spine and my left rib cage hurts all the time. And also, did you gain any height after surgery?

Zoee
03-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Ann -
I think I was swimming after I started physical therapy which was about three months out - I believe that my p/t told me I could start in December which was about 4 months out. The thing they worry about is the twisting motion but once I had started all p/t exercises and loosened up, it was not so much of a concern and of course I started very slowly - only 10 laps first time, etc.
Osumike - my curve was 52%. I gained a 1/2" in height!!!!!!

Zoee
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
sorry Osumike - forgot to respond to your other question:

most of my pre-surgery pain was in my lower back right side. After surgery for several months I had a sharp pain in the same area if I overdid things at all. The weird thing was on Halloween I was in a LOT of pain in that area and on November 1st the pain virtually was gone when I awakened. I found out at my next appt that the area I had pain in was where the bolt was anchored to my sancrum (only on one side). hope this helps!

naptown78
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Zoee
Congrats on being pain free! Wow!!! Pretty awesome....

sillycoffeegirl
03-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Sounds awesome Zoee! So happy for you. Im almost 3 months post op. Looking forward to getting even better. thanks :)

RitaR
03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
As I sit here on my chair, try to sit longer each time, pain from sitting but I chug on like the little Engine that coulod - this is an inspiration for me. I love to hear those "no pain" stories. Keep 'em coming! And, Congrats to you!!!!!

jsully
03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I love the great news!:)

Tall Paul
04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Congrats! You are an inspiration to us facing the same surgery.