Hmmmm......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm......

I would be very grateful for anyones thoughts on whether I should have surgery;
    Background; I am 37 years old and have had kyphosis since around 19. ALways managed the pain with excercise but the curve and the pain have gotten worse in the last 2 years, which has caused me to go to the doctor

I had my first appointment to see the surgeon today - he only had the xray that the GP had ordered. He said he would need more xrays, an mRI scan and dexascan ( because the GP says I have osteopenia) - we can't do this now as I am early pregnant. So his comments were based on incomplete information;
    • My kyphosis is 75 degrees - is that bad? my spine looked hideous on the xray - yeuck!!
    • He said that he doesn't think that i am someone who will degenrate into a wheelchair and he doesn't think the surgery is a NECESSITY but he seemed prepared to do it ( I didn't bottom this out as I have an appointment for the extar xrays etc after baby due date).
    • He said that bearing children and looking after them can cause a worsening of curves.
    • I would need to be fused from T2 to L2 - which is longer than I imagined it would be - is this a long fusion??

Before i went to this appointment I was DETERMINED I wanted the op.
    Now however, I have doubts;
    I have a constant feeling of 'muscle exhaustion' ( I am hoping you know what I mean!) over my hump. Twanging pains in my lower back and neck when I moved. Muscle weakness in my legs and numbness in my arms and hands. But it is not horrific pain - I don't take hardcore pain medication. It is because it is always present that I am finding it hard to bear.
    If my fusion is so long though, what is the trade off? how will my mobility be when recovered?
    Am I wanting to have the op more out of vanity? since I decided I wanted to have the op - it opened a flood gate of feelings I have about my hump - I HATE IT!!! I find it repulsive and I really want a straight back. Is it wrong to have surgery for cosmetic reasons?

1 last point (promise!) - the dr said I wouldn't degenerate into a wheelchair. But it is not going to get better is it? surely with old age it is bound to get worse?

Thank you! thanks for listening and thanks for any thoughts x

fandango,
    I don't know a thing about kyphosis so I can't advise you whether to have surgery or not. It certainly isn't an emergency. To me, the things that should be addressed first is your osteopenia and what is causing the numbness in your arms and hands. Your OB Doctor should be able to help you with the osteopenia. Make sure that you get more than one opinion from SRS Doctors that have lots of experience with kyphosis.
    Best wishes, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by fandango View Post
      I would be very grateful for anyones thoughts on whether I should have surgery;
      Background; I am 37 years old and have had kyphosis since around 19. ALways managed the pain with excercise but the curve and the pain have gotten worse in the last 2 years, which has caused me to go to the doctor

I had my first appointment to see the surgeon today - he only had the xray that the GP had ordered. He said he would need more xrays, an mRI scan and dexascan ( because the GP says I have osteopenia) - we can't do this now as I am early pregnant. So his comments were based on incomplete information;
      • My kyphosis is 75 degrees - is that bad? my spine looked hideous on the xray - yeuck!!
      • He said that he doesn't think that i am someone who will degenrate into a wheelchair and he doesn't think the surgery is a NECESSITY but he seemed prepared to do it ( I didn't bottom this out as I have an appointment for the extar xrays etc after baby due date).
      • He said that bearing children and looking after them can cause a worsening of curves.
      • I would need to be fused from T2 to L2 - which is longer than I imagined it would be - is this a long fusion??

Before i went to this appointment I was DETERMINED I wanted the op.
      Now however, I have doubts;
      I have a constant feeling of 'muscle exhaustion' ( I am hoping you know what I mean!) over my hump. Twanging pains in my lower back and neck when I moved. Muscle weakness in my legs and numbness in my arms and hands. But it is not horrific pain - I don't take hardcore pain medication. It is because it is always present that I am finding it hard to bear.
      If my fusion is so long though, what is the trade off? how will my mobility be when recovered?
      Am I wanting to have the op more out of vanity? since I decided I wanted to have the op - it opened a flood gate of feelings I have about my hump - I HATE IT!!! I find it repulsive and I really want a straight back. Is it wrong to have surgery for cosmetic reasons?

1 last point (promise!) - the dr said I wouldn't degenerate into a wheelchair. But it is not going to get better is it? surely with old age it is bound to get worse?

Thank you! thanks for listening and thanks for any thoughts x
      Hi Fandago...

The normal kyphosis range is 20-50 degrees. At 75 degrees, I suspect you'd be considered moderate to severe.

The only thing I'd be concerned about if I were you, is the possibility of taking care of small children. Getting kids in and out of baby car seats is difficult for just about anyone with back pain, but is really difficult for someone with kyphosis. That activity causes a lot of pulling at the top of the spine. I think it might be wise to ask your doctor how long he thinks you'd have to avoid doing that.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X