X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tammy Day one post op.....

Quick update....

I think my wife is amazing!

Today 3 walks, the last one all the way around the "block" She is a super trooper.

Post op x-rays.....that wore her out, but we saw them and now she says she is a Terminator......

Got one of two drains pulled from her back....

Cath also removed.....

Surgical pain is controlled awesomely! One concern is pain under her front right rib that is eclipsing the surgical pain....they keep saying it is gas and that walking is the best thing for it (hence the last walk around the block) Chest x-rays are clear......anyone experience gas pain like this in their journey? I had them call the doc anyway....so I am still waiting...

Of course NO appetite, but she is drinking a lot of water, which is funny cause under normal circumstances it would be Diet Coke (a true addict)

That is all for today....From the front lines this is TobyT...signing out...

First photo of her BADGE OF HONOR AND COURAGE

Hi Toby...

It's pretty common that pain from other than the spine is more difficult to deal with than is the spine itself. With me, it was my left thigh.

Sounds like Tammy is doing great. Keep up the cheerleading!

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Fantastic Toby - she is an amazing lady, all that walking she is doing already. She really is "Superwoman" . I will sign off this site now feeling great, thank you Toby so much for sharing this with us, Tammy is an inspiration to me!
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Toby

She is doing great. I can't believe what she has done today

Tell her to keep up the good work

Melissa

Comment

I'm glad to hear Tammy's doing so well. Sending best wishes for a continued smooth recovery. You sound like you're on a high - quite understandable after the stress of pre-op!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Go, Tammy, go!
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

She doing great!

That pain in the front is most likely bloating from drinking I think. Our surgeon completely restricted food and liquids and didn't even allow ice chips for one kid at all until they could hear gut sounds. That happened on day 3 for both kids. Yes they were extremely thirsty but the surgeon considers bloating a set back and so is very strict about it. It's amazing to me how surgeons do things differently.

Good luck with the continued recovery! Her back looks so good.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

That is so-o awesome!! I am just 3 weeks post-op today and loving being at home, from the hospital. What was her correction and fusion? Tell her I am praying for her and keeping her in my thoughts. She will be home in no time!!! Let me know if you guys have any questions...

Comment

I had pain in the sme region after surgery, but thought nothing of it until a few weeks after i got home. I put it down to surgery stress. I asked my GP about it, he did not seem phased but sent me for a scan on my liver and gallbladder. Nothing showed up. I put it down to my liver retaliating for all the strong meds that were used during surgery and post-op. Best wishes on your continued smooth recovery. Hope someone can shed some light on your pain.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Wonderful news! You are on the "other side" now! Prayers that all go well with the rest of her recovery!

Marian

Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey. What a blessing your wife is. It sounds like all is going well. I will keep you all in my prayers. You give me encouragement for my surgery on 4/22/10.
                      Shari - 55 years old
                      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                      Post op 13 degree curve.
                      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Keep sharing the good news. I can relate all too well to what Tammy's experiencing including the no appetite and the thirst. I was on oral pain meds as soon as I was out of ICU, and I know some of those really dry you out. It took a few days until I could eat much of anything and I had a lot of abdominal discomfort, too. It will get better and it sounds like she's doing amazingly well!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                        X