Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion T2 to L2 successful!! WooHoo!

Hi ALL! My surgery went better than well. I ended up being fused from T2 to
    L2, 2 titanium rods and 23 pedicle screws. Gosh that sounds like soooooo much. I am so happy now. Lots of muscle spasms though. Anyone know of any secrets for those? other than taking the baclofen? Please let me know...

Thank you all for all the prayers and well wishes before and during my surgery. It means so much!!!

I will keep you all updated on my progression...

Originally posted by huskymom View Post
    Hi ALL! My surgery went better than well. I ended up being fused from T2 to L2, 2 titanium rods and 23 pedicle screws. Gosh that sounds like soooooo much. I am so happy now. Lots of muscle spasms though. Anyone know of any secrets for those? other than taking the baclofen?
    Yay! Lots of good reports today. We LIKE good reports!

Muscle spasms are fairly common after surgery. They seem to ease up after the first month or so as your body adjusts to being "rearranged".

I came home from the hospital on Robaxin, but it just wasn't helping. The solution was as easy as calling my doctor, and him switching me to Valium. WORLD of difference in my case. While another med may or may not give you more relief than the Baclofen, at least tell your surgeon what's going on and see what he thinks.

As far as "secrets", something that worked for me was to ice spasms vs. applying heat.

Keep us posted!

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Yay - Fantastic news. I love hearing all the wonderful news from all your successful surgery stories - it gives me more and more confidence for my upcoming surgery in three weeks!
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I have to ditto Lynette's thoughts. It is so encouraging to hear these positive stories. My surgery is not until April 22, but I am doing lots of preparing and praying. I am feeling very positive about it and even a little excited, for the end result. I think just being aware that it is rough in the beginning, but it truly does get better and most are glad they did it, makes this all ok. Thank you to all that share.
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

That's wonderful news. Welcome to the post-op healing club! I have had a lot of trouble with muscle spasms, mostly at night. Taking Flexeril seems to be helping. The PA in my Dr.'s office also recommended using heat for muscle spasms as opposed to ice packs for swelling and post-op pain. There are quite a few of us here in the recent surgery category and it helps to be able to share and/or vent!

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Hey huskymom, good to hear you are doing well. I don't recall having muscles spasm in the beginning, but i did have some start about a month ago. I have been using an Emu Oil Rub and it has helped alot, however, i don't know that you would be allowed to use this so soon after surgery. Will check it out for you. In the meantime a warm may do the trick! Just don't put in directly on your skin.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Tammy is doing good as well!! Will be posting her day 1 post op stuff in a bit......I am so happy for you!

Toby

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                The PA in my Dr.'s office also recommended using heat for muscle spasms as opposed to ice packs for swelling and post-op pain.
                I'm curious, Anne ... have you tried cold for spasms?

Do whatever works, but be very, very careful with heat. I blistered my back *several* times because I couldn't accurately gauge the temp.

As far as spasms and and ice, there really is science behind it. Cryotherapy causes vasoconstriction and slows circulation: That leads to reduced inflammation, pain, and spasm.

For me, even several months out (when the swelling was presumably gone), ice worked better. As with everything else, everyone's different.

Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Huskymom!...Congratulations! I am so happy to hear this good new..as I will be going through it 3 weeks from today! 3/31! I will be T3-L3 so, similar to yours. How long was your surgery? When can you go home to your husky??? I know I will miss mine for sure!
                  Laura
                  62 degrees
                  49 yrs. young
                  Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hi Laura, Thanks so much. My recovery is going really well. I was 3 weeks post-op on Wednesday this week and today I walked 2 miles outside. Not a fast walk by any means, but I did it and felt great afterwards!
                    You will do wonderful. Just remember it is going to be painfuls afterwards but the sooner you get out of bed the better you are. The worst thing that I have experienced thus far are the muscle spasms and sneezing. Sneezing hurts sooooo bad and I still can not cough very well. It just hurts too bad.
                    My hospital stay was 7 days, but it went so-o fast. I wish I remembered more of it. My fiance and my family keep telling me things that happened or things I said and I wish I remembered more it
                    If you have any other questions just let me know.

Comment

Hi Huskymom,

It is always nice to hear when people are having good recoveries. I never had spasams until I started an excercise program.

All my best for you,
                      Shari

Comment

Working...
                      X