Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance

Hi,

I had spinal fusion in January 2007. Over the last couple of months, I've been noticing some problems with my balance. I keep stumbling really easily, and some of my movements don't feel quite as 'right' as they once did. I can't really pinpoint anything, as I haven't paid a huge amount of notice to it! Does anyone else have anything like this? Could it be related to my spine?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
    I had spinal fusion in January 2007. Over the last couple of months, I've been noticing some problems with my balance. I keep stumbling really easily, and some of my movements don't feel quite as 'right' as they once did. I can't really pinpoint anything, as I haven't paid a huge amount of notice to it! Does anyone else have anything like this? Could it be related to my spine?
    I suppose anything is *possible*, but unless you've noticed a marked change in your posture - or you're having pain - it seems unlikely to be fusion related (especially 3+ years out).

Probably a good idea to let your regular physician have a look and go from there. Good luck to you.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Robbie...

I'm having a similar issue, both in terms of tripping a lot, as well as feeling like I can't quite get my gait to feel even remotely graceful. I don't know if this is the answer, but I talked to an exercise physiologist yesterday. He tells me that people who trip a lot are often those who have a slightly or moderately bent forward posture, and who tend to look down. (I thought I was looking down because I was tripping a lot.) He has advised me to stand as upright as possible when I walk, and to keep my head facing forward instead of down.

With that said, I also think it's not a bad idea to mention it to your primary care physician.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X