High Blood Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Blood Pressure

I went to a new doctor 2 weeks ago just for a check-up and my blood pressure in the office was 160/85. My surgery is scheduled for June 15th. I have been keeping tabs on it for 2 weeks, checking morning and night, and the high has been 163/87 and the low 131/71. I am very reluctant to start on medication for this, since I don't want to deal with the side affects. I am a "health food nut," eat organic, lots of fruits and veggies, don't use salt, and hardly ever eat in restaurants since I like my own food better! I'm not convinced I can reduce this with dietary changes. I am currently going through a horrific divorce after 38 years of marriage and am on paxil, which I would have thought would have a calming effect.

I have been slim to underweight my whole life, so weight is not an issue. My present weight of 125 is the highest I've been since I was 25, and probably due to weight gain from the paxil.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before surgery? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! All the best, Joy

Stress, it does so much harm to our bodies! How long have you been on the paxil, Joy? If it's only recent, it may not fully be effective yet.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Joy,
      My primary care Doctor wanted me on blood pressure medicine before my surgery, but the Cardiologist I saw for my pre-op testing said it wasn't too high. After surgery, because I couldn't exercise enough, it went up to 160/70 so I decided it was time. I was started on Triamterene/HCTZ and have had absolutely no side effects and it brought my BP down within a month. Maybe I was lucky not to have side effects. Maybe it will work for you also.
      Good luck, Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Divorce and an operation coming up....STRESS!!! When I take pain medicine, it lowers my blood pressure a great deal. You should have a preop physical and the doctor would be best to determine if you need anything. The paxil might be adding to the high blood pressure.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Joy,

I'm sorry about all your stress. Good for you that you have such healthy habits. It has to be the divorce stress, don't you think? ((Hugs)) to you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have high blood pressure which is controlled with meds. Currently on labetalol twice daily and have no side effects. The paxil is probably the culprit in raising your bp. They had some problems with my bp going sky high while in surgery but fortunately they were able to bring it down. It seemed to vacillate between very high and very low for some unknown reason. When they told me how high it went in surgery I was absolutely scared to death but fortunately it's ok with meds. I have also been on atenolol without side effects.
            avis
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
            X