Headaches post op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches post op?

Hi all, I am 7 weeks Post Op. I am fused from T10 to L5. Thank you all for this forum, it has been helpful before and after surgery for both my husband and I to see that I am not alone in this venture. I am 33 and we don't have kids yet. I felt it was important to fix my back first so I could enjoy kids without pain. The good news is the leg and lower back pain are completely gone. Of course, very stiff and just about done with the first 2 weeks of PT. I have a few questions... How long does the stiffness last or do you just get used to it? Also, I spent most of the time in the hospital with a migraine. It took a while to find something to finally help. I have always gotten headaches, but since surgery, I have them daily now. Tylenol doesn't help and I don't want to get dependant on the drug from the neurologist. The surgeon thinks my headaches are hormonal, and are pretty normal until the hormones get back on track. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any tips to help the pain? Thanks!

If your headaches are hormonal, try taking soy isoflavons or flaxseed oil. They both have a lot of estrogen in them. I use them when I get a monthly headache. As you start moving around more and exercising, most of the stiffness goes away. Try exercising in a warm pool. Swimming or walking in the water is great for your back.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

You should report this to your surgeon's office. There's always the possibility of a small dural tear. It could also just be the drugs you are taking, or the drugs from which you've withdrawn.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Just a couple thoughts...Ive been in St Louis for the last few days for pre-op stuff. I had a myelogram on wednesday morning and have had a relentless pounding headache since then. We called back down to that office, and they said I would need a blood patch because I must have spinal fluid leaking. For this, they started an IV, and drew blood from my arm. They then injected that blood back into my spine close to the site that the myelogram was done. They said that would form a blood clot there and seal up the spot that was leaking. Or something close to that anyway.

I guess what Im getting at is Im wondering if theres any possible way your spinal fluid is leaking somehow and causing the bad headaches? It may be worth asking about anyway....Good Luck
        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
        Still unsure of post-op numbers
        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
        Scoli pics

Comment

Working...
        X