Physical Therapy as outpatient

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy as outpatient

So today I am getting discharged from my visiting PT. She recommended me to this fabulous man who specializes with post-op spinal surgeries. My questions are what will he do that is so different?? I'm sure it will be more extensive..Did you notice your body change for the better?? Cuz my side sorta goes in on my right side and my physical therapist explained that because my spine is straighter they need to work on getting your muscles straighten out as well. So she explained that they will work on getting my body adjusted..I am assuming I will be in this brace for awhile I wonder if he will take me out of my brace to do the therapy..What was your physical therapy like?? I just got off all my pain meds as of Sunday. Now I am thinking I hope I am not going to be in agony after therapy..My mom goes for her shoulder twice a week and every time she comes home she is complaining how bad the pain is.

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi Meg...

No matter what, your goal for PT should be to find a small number of exercises that you can safely do at home. When the surgeons that I work with prescribe PT, they always prescribe specific types of exercises. Hopefully, your surgeon can give your PT some guidance as well.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was just discharged from home PT at the end of last week. They have me doing very simple exercises--some leg movements while standing at the counter and some things lying down--mostly just legs, ab and butt tightening exercises. Their instructions were to do nothing aggressive and keep walking as much as possible. My understanding was that no outpatient PT would start much before 3 months, depending on status of fusion. Of course, I'm a lot older so it might be different for you. I find that if I do too much during the day, it really catches up with me at night. One day at a time...it's hard for us Type A people to be patient!

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
      X