PDA

View Full Version : RitaR's surgery today 3/1

Radiogirl
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone, RitaR's hubby, Rick, just called me. She got through the surgery but it was a looong one. 8:30 this morning until 5:30 this afternoon. We don't have details yet becuae he hadn't seen her yet when he called. But as we were talking the Dr. came out to talk to him. He asked if I would post this so everyone knows her status. We will update you when we know more. She's a tough cookie, so I know she'll be okay. Please send good thoughts and prayers her way.

mgs
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the update. . .I'll be checking back for more news!!

Vali
03-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Ditto from me.

LynetteG
03-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks so much for the update - I was thinking of her all day yesterday. She is definitely in my prayers - keep us informed if you can :)

debbei
03-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the update, send her hugs from us, and while you're at it, give yourself one too. The surgery is tough on the spouse too.

Shari
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
That's a ditto from me as well!!!

Shari

megz
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Hope you are doing well Rita!!! I know you will so great with your recovery.. You have such an amazing attitude going in.. You are in my thoughts and prayers sweetie<3

mbeckoff
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Rita,

Hope you are doing well !!

Melissa

JenniferG
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Thinking of you Rita! Wishing you a smooth journey ahead and and great success with your surgery.

ADMoul
03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Best wishes, Rita. These next few days are rough but you'll get through them. I can't believe how quickly the time flew by. I can't believe what I can do just under a month post-op. You'll be there soon.
Hugs and good thoughts!

Doodles
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Rita--Been thinking of you all week. Hope all is well and you are beginning the recovery although I'm sure it doesn't feel like that yet. It really does get better. Hang in there. Janet

RitaR
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone Rita’s husband Rick here. Sorry this has taken so long to get to all of you but have been fighting with internet connection. And as a non computer guy the network had an upper hand

Rita had to be at Barns Jewish Hospital in St. Louis Mo. Monday morning at 5:30am. We live in Topeka Kansas and had arrived on Wednesday before the operation for testing prior to surgery. We (her mother and I) were able to be with her for a short time in pre op not an easy thing for any of us to go through. Your sure things will be ok but this is a major surgery. At 8:30 Dr. Lenke’s nurse called and said that surgery had begun. Rita had had surgery on her lower back in 2003 at that time she had quit a bit of hardware applied and this was to all be removed.

We were called by the nurse at 11:00 and again at 1:00 pm both calls advised that things were going well. At 5:30 pm we called the OR who advised the surgery had been completed and the Dr. would be up to talk with us.

Dr. Linke came to the waiting room and told us all went as expected the operation was a complete success. No finer words could have been spoken. Dr. Linke also said Rita would gain 3 to 4 inches in height. With a 13 yr old son at Just over 6’ and Rita at 5’10” before the surgery at 6 ‘ I am likely to be the short one of our family!

Tuesday and Wednesday Rita has sleep most of both of these days. Therapy has gotten her up twice today and she walked to the door of her room with assistance and a walker. Long road ahead but it’s a bright road and we will go down it together.

Rita meet Laura on Tuesday before surgery as they were both there for pre op testing there was a instant bond between the two of them as I am sure all of you with scoliosis share . It was so good for Rita to meet you Laura and I truly hope the two of you can meet again.

Well I am not a typist and hope this is not garbled. Rita wil fill you all in when she is able. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers and we will be thinking of all of you.

Thanks Rick

ddb
03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Rick - thanks for the update - have been checking in to see how Rita was doing. Please extend my wishes for a swift recovery to her - she has been in my thoughts. My daughter just had surgery 2/9/10 so I know how hard it's been for you. Take care of yourself too:).

naptown78
03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Rick, your post brought tears to my eyes. Support is everything and it sounds like Rita has a great support system in her family. Good luck Rita and I hope you have a smooth recovery ;-)

JenniferG
03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you Rick! I am so glad Rita is doing so well and has such brilliant support. Great to hear!

Radiogirl
03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
YEA RITA!!! YEA RICK!!! Thanks so much Rick for such a wonderful post! I was so nervous all day yesterday and today wondering how Rita was doing!!! My sister told me she just talked to you and I feel so much better. Please ask Rita to call when she can. It sounds like she did just great! Please tell Rita I'm sending good thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery!!!

titaniumed
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Rita

You hang in there! Soon you will be going home.

Thx for posting Rick
Ed

Vali
03-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Rita, congratulations on a successful surgery. Sending you best wishes for a smooth and uncomplicated recovery.

Rick - great news and thankyou for posting.:)

Doodles
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Rita--So glad your husband posted this update. Sounds like you've got a great guy there to support you through it all. It's so important. You did a great job--and 3-4 inches, Wow! I loved my inch and half. Take care and just take it slow and steady. Janet

Radiogirl
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey Everyone...Here is a "Rita Update"! I spoke to Rita today. She is doing very well! I was so impressed with her upbeat attitude and her seemingly lack of pain. Of course, they have her on heavy pain meds..but she said it is all tolerable. They get her up to walk and sit in a chair, I think a couple of times a day. She said they will be releasing her on Monday..when she will go to the Parkway Hotel, attached to the hospital. She said they will most likely stay there one night then venture home if she is up to it. She's a strong lady and what a great attitude! I'm sure that has a lot to do with her positive outcome. She promised to post once she gets home and is able. I will update you if I hear more....but it was sooooo gooood to hear her voice!!! GO RITA, GO RITA!!! :)

LynetteG
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
So wonderful to hear how well Rita is doing - thanks Rick and Laura for keeping us all updated. Wishing her a continuous pain-free rapid recovery! :)

pilar
03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Oh my! Congratulations Rita!!!!
I can't wait to read all about it!

ADMoul
03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Fabulous news!! A 3-4" height difference might mean a whole new wardrobe--lots of fun shopping to look forward to! Best wishes, Rita. It's so much better once you get home!

RitaR
03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone Rick here with an update on Rita.

A long, long trip home. We started home last Monday morning after spending the night in St. Louis. Started out well but Rita tired very quickly she was experiencing more pain than she had been. We live about 5 to 6 hrs west of St. Louis and after about three hour ride she was finished. We stopped for the night in Columbia Mo. Not quite half way home.

Rita was very restless Monday night I think a little worried about the next days ride. I had considered renting a van to allow her to lie down but thought we would recline the seat in the Niss. And see how well that worked. The reclined seat along with better timing on med distribution (Gave her required meds let then take effect then keep on top of things) helped greatly.

The second day while better was no picnic but we made it home. My suggestion to all who plan on driving home would be the more room in your transport vehicle the better.

Since we have been home Rita sleeps. Up for maybe 5 min. 3 or 4 times a day. Spoke to nurse this afternoon and she says that’s normal so we will let her sleep. I will let Rita Know I have posted and I always have to read her your responses.

Thanks to all, Rick

Bigbluefrog
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
that is good News! HOpe you have a Speedy recovery.:)

mbeckoff
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear that you made it home safely

Melissa

Radiogirl
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Rick.

It's Laura..I've been wondering sooo much about you guys. I left a voicemail on Rita's phone cuz I couldn't get through on yours. Please tell Rita I am thinking of her and praying and just KNOW she will be fine! She's got the spunk...tell her I said that!..SPUNK! I think she invented that word!!! Keep me posted! You have my number...I want to hear from her!!!!!

Thanks Rick!
Laura

Doodles
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi--So glad you are home. That ride is tough. I had to break up our 7 hour trip to Iowa from St. Louis. I couldn't have done it in one day. Now continue with lots of rest and recovery. Been thinking of you & praying for the best. Janet

LynetteG
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Great news to hear Rita is back home again - can't wait to hear from her! Thanks Rick for all the great news :)