RitaR's surgery today 3/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RitaR's surgery today 3/1

Hi everyone, RitaR's hubby, Rick, just called me. She got through the surgery but it was a looong one. 8:30 this morning until 5:30 this afternoon. We don't have details yet becuae he hadn't seen her yet when he called. But as we were talking the Dr. came out to talk to him. He asked if I would post this so everyone knows her status. We will update you when we know more. She's a tough cookie, so I know she'll be okay. Please send good thoughts and prayers her way.
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Thanks for the update. . .I'll be checking back for more news!!
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Ditto from me.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thanks so much for the update - I was thinking of her all day yesterday. She is definitely in my prayers - keep us informed if you can
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks for the update, send her hugs from us, and while you're at it, give yourself one too. The surgery is tough on the spouse too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

That's a ditto from me as well!!!

Shari

Comment

Hope you are doing well Rita!!! I know you will so great with your recovery.. You have such an amazing attitude going in.. You are in my thoughts and prayers sweetie<3

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
              Fused T2-Pelvis
              Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Rita,

Hope you are doing well !!

Melissa

Comment

Thinking of you Rita! Wishing you a smooth journey ahead and and great success with your surgery.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes, Rita. These next few days are rough but you'll get through them. I can't believe how quickly the time flew by. I can't believe what I can do just under a month post-op. You'll be there soon.
                    Hugs and good thoughts!

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Rita--Been thinking of you all week. Hope all is well and you are beginning the recovery although I'm sure it doesn't feel like that yet. It really does get better. Hang in there. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Rita

Hi everyone Rita’s husband Rick here. Sorry this has taken so long to get to all of you but have been fighting with internet connection. And as a non computer guy the network had an upper hand

Rita had to be at Barns Jewish Hospital in St. Louis Mo. Monday morning at 5:30am. We live in Topeka Kansas and had arrived on Wednesday before the operation for testing prior to surgery. We (her mother and I) were able to be with her for a short time in pre op not an easy thing for any of us to go through. Your sure things will be ok but this is a major surgery. At 8:30 Dr. Lenke’s nurse called and said that surgery had begun. Rita had had surgery on her lower back in 2003 at that time she had quit a bit of hardware applied and this was to all be removed.

We were called by the nurse at 11:00 and again at 1:00 pm both calls advised that things were going well. At 5:30 pm we called the OR who advised the surgery had been completed and the Dr. would be up to talk with us.

Dr. Linke came to the waiting room and told us all went as expected the operation was a complete success. No finer words could have been spoken. Dr. Linke also said Rita would gain 3 to 4 inches in height. With a 13 yr old son at Just over 6’ and Rita at 5’10” before the surgery at 6 ‘ I am likely to be the short one of our family!

Tuesday and Wednesday Rita has sleep most of both of these days. Therapy has gotten her up twice today and she walked to the door of her room with assistance and a walker. Long road ahead but it’s a bright road and we will go down it together.

Rita meet Laura on Tuesday before surgery as they were both there for pre op testing there was a instant bond between the two of them as I am sure all of you with scoliosis share . It was so good for Rita to meet you Laura and I truly hope the two of you can meet again.

Well I am not a typist and hope this is not garbled. Rita wil fill you all in when she is able. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers and we will be thinking of all of you.

Thanks Rick

Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Rick - thanks for the update - have been checking in to see how Rita was doing. Please extend my wishes for a swift recovery to her - she has been in my thoughts. My daughter just had surgery 2/9/10 so I know how hard it's been for you. Take care of yourself too.
                          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Rick, your post brought tears to my eyes. Support is everything and it sounds like Rita has a great support system in her family. Good luck Rita and I hope you have a smooth recovery ;-)
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thank you Rick! I am so glad Rita is doing so well and has such brilliant support. Great to hear!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X