PDA

View Full Version : Titanium or Steel?

Nitram
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey all, just got off the phone with Dr. Good (my surgeon) a few hours ago...he called me to answer some questions I sent him via email. Anyway, one of the things we talked about was whether he was planning to use Titanium or Stainless Steel in my fusion. He said for me has was definitely using stainless steel as its apparently stronger than Titanium and with my kyphosis, he needs the strength to get my lordosis back. I always thought Titanium was stronger than stainless steel but who knows. What do you have in your back and why? Would be curious how often steel is used vs. titanium.

Nitram

txmarinemom
02-26-2010, 11:28 PM
There are other flavors besides 316/L SS or titanium alloy ...

My hardware is a Stryker XIA III system made of Vitallium - a proprietary cobalt, chromium, moly alloy.

Pam

sheri66
02-27-2010, 12:06 AM
My surgeon used stainless steel on me.

titaniumed
02-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Synthes "Pangea system"

http://www.teltra.org/orthomit/site/uploads/media/SPTGPangeaJ6418A.pdf

This site goes deep. Plenty of neat tid-bits for the connoisseur.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your surgeon will determine your hardware and material. There are many reasons why decisions are made in this subject, and can get involved.

My surgeon selected 316 at first, then 2 years later changed his mind. My talks with my surgeon took 2-1/2 years before my surgeries.

I donít know the stats on 316 vs Titanium? I would guess its probably 50-50.

Ed

debbei
02-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Hey all, just got off the phone with Dr. Good (my surgeon) a few hours ago...he called me to answer some questions I sent him via email. Anyway, one of the things we talked about was whether he was planning to use Titanium or Stainless Steel in my fusion. He said for me has was definitely using stainless steel as its apparently stronger than Titanium and with my kyphosis, he needs the strength to get my lordosis back. I always thought Titanium was stronger than stainless steel but who knows. What do you have in your back and why? Would be curious how often steel is used vs. titanium.

Nitram

I have stainless steel--my surgeon's exact words were "I prefer the properties of stainless steel--it's less brittle than Titanium." The other surgeon I saw said he would have used Titanium.

I'm sure every doctor has their own personal preferance.

Singer
02-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I have 4 Titanium rods. It's lighter and Dr. B's preference, especially for my tiny frame (he used pediatric rods for the posterior fusion).

Vali
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I have titanium instrumentation. Anteriorly, i have the Synfix LR system and posteriorly, i have the USS11 instrumentation. Both products are from the Synthes International Company. I think my surgeon uses this product for all his surgeries and i think he uses it also to teach at our Medical Uni.

loves to skate
02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
My surgeon used stainless steel on me. He said that titanium is more difficult to work with because if there is even a tiny nick in the titanium which can occur when bending the rods, it is more likely to break whereas SS won't break. So I guess he is in agreement with Debbei's Doctor that titanium is more brittle than SS.
Sally

Doodles
02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Dr. Lenke used stainless steel with me. Janet

txmarinemom
02-27-2010, 12:51 PM
You know ... it's been just over 2 years since my surgery, and I still haven't read of anyone else who has Vitallium rods.

Interesting.

Mom37
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
My daughter had titanium rods put in so they could do MRI to monitor other condition requiring a MRI for best results.

loves to skate
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
You know ... it's been just over 2 years since my surgery, and I still haven't read of anyone else who has Vitallium rods.

Interesting.

Pam, I am sure cost has something to do with it. A lot of hospitals dictate what equipment Doctors are allowed to use except for unusual circumstances. Probably because you still play softball, you got the very strongest hardware. Just an educated guess on my part. Sally

titaniumed
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Pam

FLT had vitallium rods installed back in October.
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9465

I wouldnt forget something like that. LOL
Ed

naptown78
02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I am having a revision in 3ish weeks . I currently have titanium rods and my doc ( a different surgeon than my original surgeon) is cutting rods off at my lumbar area and replacing with (he said) a cobalt type of rod which he said is stronger.

txmarinemom
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi Pam

FLT had vitallium rods installed back in October.
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9465

I wouldnt forget something like that. LOL
Ed

Well, I wouldn't have either - had I seen it! BTW, I was quoted in that thread as saying Vitallium was expensive ... I don't recall ever saying that, but maybe I did. Seems like when the grad student was trying to get hardware samples to test that was an issue. I've slept since then.

I know I've posted Hanson's comments to me when I questioned the strength of the material. And, yes ... he knew I planned to go back to ball (and sliding) - and felt it was a good fit strength and flexibility wise.

Whether he uses that flavor of the XIA III (or whether he even regularly uses any flavor of the XIA- it comes in 316 and Ti, as well), I don't know.

I hate to hear FLT experienced broken hardware, but I guess I'm glad Vitallium was on the replacement end!

Anyway, that still only makes 2 of us. I wonder why?

Radiogirl
02-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Lenke told me at my pre-op last Wedneday that he is going to use Cobal Steel Rods with titanium screws. But ... I do have a "rod" question. I just assumed the rods are straight and not flexible...but someone here on earlier post mentioned something about them being bendable??? Can someone clear that up for me? Are the rods straight and rigid, or are they bendable?

Thanks!

Vali
02-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Laura, the rods are contoured to your back shape. They are not bendable, as in, you can bend and the rods bend with you, if you know what i mean. Is this what you mean?

txmarinemom
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
I am having a revision in 3ish weeks . I currently have titanium rods and my doc ( a different surgeon than my original surgeon) is cutting rods off at my lumbar area and replacing with (he said) a cobalt type of rod which he said is stronger.

Could be Vitallium, Naptown ... it's about 60% cobalt, and is compatible with titanium. My pedicle screws are titanium.

Ed, didn't someone else mention they were getting CoChMo alloy hardware a year or so ago that wasn't Vitallium - but the actual material was never really identified?

Does anyone know (offhand ... I can look it up, if not) if anyone other than Stryker makes Vitallium hardware? Their version was the first, I believe, and there was almost NO information on it when I had my surgery in 2/2008 ...

Pam

Radiogirl
02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Vali...yes, that is what I meant. Okay, that makes sense, they contour it to your back shape...hmmm...so interesting!!!

txmarinemom
02-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Lenke told me at my pre-op last Wedneday that he is going to use Cobal Steel Rods with titanium screws. But ... I do have a "rod" question. I just assumed the rods are straight and not flexible...but someone here on earlier post mentioned something about them being bendable??? Can someone clear that up for me? Are the rods straight and rigid, or are they bendable?

Thanks!

Laura,

You've seen my surgery photos: Look at the ones where they place the rods and contour them in situ. The rods are straight when they place them, then they sculpt them with those big, honkin' rod benders.

And I'm confused by "Cobal Steel" with titanium screws. Anyone know what system that is?

titaniumed
02-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I found a good site. All the info is valuable.

http://www.zimmer.com/ctl?template=PC&op=global&action=1&id=9477

http://www.zimmer.com/ctl?template=PC&op=global&action=1&id=9478

"stress shielding" is why they just donít go larger. Implants "need" to be flexable
I suspected, but wasnít sure.

Ive heard of "COP" but not here on NSF. Its not new, 1977
Vitallium also not new, 1932. Its been around awhile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that you know more about biomaterials, it is important to understand that material alone is not completely responsible for the success of an implant. Many things must be considered together, including the design of the implant, the surgical technique, the condition of your bones, your overall health, and your activity level.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the rods are "bent" at some point. "Peek" rods are not bent, they are molded and are not used for scoliosis.

Cobalt, not Cobal. Thatís a typo.

Ed

txmarinemom
02-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Cobalt, not Cobal. That’s a typo.

I didn't mean to focus on that, and I apparently lost my train of thought (that's what I get for trying to post and do homework at the same time!).

As I asked, my question about "cobalt steel" was if anyone knew what system that was, but also ...

Aren't titanium pedicle screws incompatible with steel rods?

titaniumed
02-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Pam
As far as the incompatibility of steel rods being clamped to Ti screws, thatís a very good question. Extensive testing was done on this. (animal) (rat) Corrosion resistance and biocompatibility are extremely important. We now know that the "strongest" or the most "flexible" material in NOT necessarily the best material. Im glad this thread was started, it answered some of my own questions.

You will be the best masseuse out there, I have no doubt. Its not easy to find good masseuses, it took me awhile to find mine. She didnít want me to have my surgeries, as she considered them too dangerous. Even though she was great, there is no way I would reverse my decision at this stage. I have absolutely NO pain at all. ZERO. She did the best she could with what was happening to me at the time, diseased bone, diseased discs, collapsing down. My low end was completely shot and had immense levels of pain.

When will you be done with school? Houston scolis are waiting for some relief!
Ed

osumike
02-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I have absolutely NO pain at all. ZERO.

Man, thats awesome Ed! I wouldnt know what to do with myself!