Good luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck

Just want to say good luck to all of you with surgery scheduled in the next few weeks. I can tell you as a little over 3 weeks post-op, that it's going to be OK. Even with the blood loss complication that I had, I am doing great recovery-wise and you will too. In fact, my husband is going back to work next week, a week early. One suggestion--I had a lot of pain and muscle spasms at night that the percocet did not help. Just this week, I started Flexoril--a muscle relaxing drug and it has helped tremendously. If you have those nighttime issues, don't wait. Get a scrip for a muscle relaxant drug. I am actually weaning down on the perc. I think most of my pain is muscular now, anyway. Just to encourage you: at this point I can shower by myself (get a long-handled brush for hard to reach places!) I can take my brace on and off by myself, pretty much dress myself except for the sneaker-tying, putter around in the kitchen enough to put some meals together, have been out for lunch and dinner and groceries and have no digestive and/or bowel issues. I still have some abdominal and ankle swelling, so if that happens, make sure you have comfy clothes like sweats and elastic waist pants. Debbe suggested the camisoles instead of bras for a while--they're wonderful. May give up on bras forever. I know I really stressed about the first few weeks. Every day gets easier. You will soon be on the other side and on your way to a healthy, straight back!!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Anne, Your words are so encouraging to me, especially since we have the same surgeon. It's amazing that you are doing so well after only 3 weeks! When will you be able to drive? I was thinking of taking off the last week of work so that I will be more ready to go back to work after 3 months, but perhaps I won't have to. Do you have a ton of snow? I feel as if I'm on the North Pole here in northern New Jersey, so if you're not going out, you have a lot of company! Best wishes, Joy

Comment

I'm so glad hear how well you're coming along Anne. Yes, I love my camisoles and when I'm not going out, that's all I wear. (and sometimes even when I am going out--but not to work )

Keep up the good work. I know you're feeling really good, but don't push yourself TOO much. You still need lots of rest.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Anne,

I am so glad that all went so well for you and that recuperation is continuing to go well . Do you have limitations lifting your arms to put clothing on over your head? My Doctor told me yesterday during my pre-op appointment that I should not lift my arms over my head until I see him at my six week post -op appointment at the earliest.

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Anne - that's great news, so wonderful to hear how well you're doing after just three weeks, very very encouraging!!! Thank you for sharing that with us
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Melissa, I was not given any restrictions on raising my arms over my head. My fusion starts at T4. The arm thing might be an issue if the fusion starts higher. I had kind of planned on button-front clothing for a while but have had no trouble with getting tops on over my head.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
              Anne,

I am so glad that all went so well for you and that recuperation is continuing to go well . Do you have limitations lifting your arms to put clothing on over your head? My Doctor told me yesterday during my pre-op appointment that I should not lift my arms over my head until I see him at my six week post -op appointment at the earliest.

Thanks

Melissa
              I wasn't given any restrictions regarding arms over my head, but it wasn't somthing I was anxious to do. Most of my clothes were button down at first, but within a week or so of being home, I was able to get shirts over my head without a problem. (and without any help). My fusion starts at T3.

Comment

Hey Debbie,
                I see your fusion started at T3, me too. Did yours go to sacrum? Geesh, that's a long ways. Mine will be I guess.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                  Hey Debbie,
                  I see your fusion started at T3, me too. Did yours go to sacrum? Geesh, that's a long ways. Mine will be I guess.
                  Rita,

My fusion is T3 to L3. It's long, but it doesn't get in the way of my life.

Comment

My fusion will be from T1 to sacrum. It is going to be long. How will that affect my life? My doctor already said that lifting my arms is going to take quite a while until it does not hurt.

Melissa

Comment

Debbie,
                      Did you lose a lot flexibility with your surgery? Dr. Lenke says I will lose a lot of side-to-side twisting, but he also said I'm not doing much of that now anyways. And, I'm bending mostly from my hips now, also, and that will continue after surgery. So, all in all, not much different I think.
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I was also told by several doctors that I would not notice the difference since my spine is quite inflexible now! I hope they're right! Joy

Comment

Melissa #10

Your fusion will be higher than mine, but I had no problems at all raising my arms, so you might be lucky.

To all the imminent surgery patients, I hope you all have great success and a smooth ride through to recovery. I have a feeling we are going to hear some good success stories in the very near future!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good Morning All. I have a shorter fusion, but i was never told by my surgeon to not lift my arms above my head when dressing etc, however, you know when you first wake in the morning and you want to do that huge stretch...... well i was not allowed to do that. Anyone else told this? Hope everyone is doing well this morning, take care.
                            Vali
                            44 years young! now 45
                            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                            Post -op - 5 degrees
                            T11 - S1 Posterior
                            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                              My fusion will be from T1 to sacrum. It is going to be long. How will that affect my life? My doctor already said that lifting my arms is going to take quite a while until it does not hurt.

Melissa
                              Melissa,

Don't take this the wrong way, but pain when lifting your arms will be the least of your concerns in the immediate period post op because the back pain will be worse. For me, within a few weeks I was able to get an over-the-head shirt on/off by myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X