RitaR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RitaR!!!

Rita! Did you get my PMs? 3 actually, it wouldn't let me send more than a limited number of words in each one. It was soooooo great to meet you and go through our pre ops together!!! And your hubby is so sweet. You are lucky to have him there with you, that's for sure!!! Tomorrow you get your central line, right??? Please let me know how that goes. I feel like I'm going through this whole thing right along with you!!! How did your meeting with Dr. Lenke go? Any surprises? We will both be A-OK....I just know it. You are my scoli sister!!! And we are strong!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Dear Sis,
    Yes, we'll make it - I promise! You and I will not settle for anything less! It was sooooo wonderful to go through yesterday with you there with me. Your sister is sweet, too. I think youre lucky to have her with you all the way. She's a great support person! My appt with Dr. Lenke went well. He did a lot of measuring and then ordered another (2nd) MRI, this time of my lumbar spine whereas one yest morning was of thoracic spine. He wanted be sure to have the whole picture. I nearly died having to lay on that table for another 40 min but we made it. Finally got out of the hosp at 5:30 last night! It was a very long day!!! Have Central line tomorrow at 7:30, no breakfast in the morning - having Versed (sp?) for breakfast before Central line insertion. Geesh, not sure what that will be like. But, one day closer to getting this all behind me. I will be so relieved to have this at least done. Going to be an uphill battle, but I know I can conquer it. I have a wonderful family and lots of friends (sister!) with me the whole way. I can conquer anything with that for sure. And, besides I have an 8th grade graduationg coming up in May - I will not miss that for sure! My hubby (I think he's sweet too!) and I really like Dr. Lenke. He's very knowledgeable, very professional and had an answer for everything we asked. I'll be in ICU first night and I will have an ICU team at my beck and call just to watch me when I"m first done. He said I will probably sleep through most of that. Then, next day they will get me up.......lots of luck with that, last time when I had back surgery I passed out on them when they tried to get me up, but they were persistent and we finally conquered that. Persistent little things they are about getting you right up! Ha! I'll be glad when tomorrow is over with. One thing that will be behind me. I'll let you know all the UNsugar coated details. I got your PM's you sent me, but I don't know if you got my responses - oh the joys of modern technology and computers.
    Anyways, I best get some shut eye - probably another long day tomorrow with central line, PFT and anesthesia.....Geesh! They keep me hopping around here.....never a dull moment. Please go through this with me all you want.... I welcome the thought of knowing you are beside me, Scoli Sis!!!!!
    More later....
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hey Radiogirl: Forgot to tell you. Dr. Lenke did explain to us that he's going to have to do a little more work when he gets in there because I am so stiff. He wants to be able to get as good a correction as possible and he said that's going to take a little more work. He tried to explain to us, but I didn't get much past "little more work" if you know what I mean? I guess when they did the push film on me the dr couldn't push quite as well a correction as he wanted - Geesh! Some things are just best left unsaid. But, Dr. Lenke said that's not surprising with such a large curve as mine, just takes a little more work. I told him while he was in there he might as well do it. I wasn't going to give him another chance... He smiled... He said not long ago mine would have been 2 surgeries, but since he's perfected the process he does it all posterior, just takes a little longer. Probably 8-10 hours roughly. Sounds like I'll get a good nap.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46

Comment

You two sound down right excited--as well you should. It's so cool that you found each other on here and at appts. I know you both are going to do so well. Dr. Lenke has lots of practice--including 10 hours on me! Good luck. I'll be anxiously awaiting news on the other side. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks Janet. Appreciate it very much! Laura and I are going to make it. We are ready (aren't we? Ha!) and going to tackle this head on. Bring it on. Just having it behind us will be a relief. They're wearing me out with all this preop stuff. Geesh! I think I'm done after the central line today, anesthesia appt and PFT. BP was a little elevated but took that after the central line insertion and all the back pain I was having was probably reason for that. And, all the running around we've done the past couple of days making all these appts. I'm sure they will monitor that pretty closely in the OR/recovery afterwards.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46

Comment

RitaR
            How did the central line go?! I was kinda excited and waiting to read your gory post =) hehe good luck with your surgery sweetie..You have the right attitude and I am sure everything will go perfect! (:

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
            Fused T2-Pelvis
            Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Hello Megz: Well, I have to say about the Central Line, I definitely know it's there. It's not real painful getting it inserted (don't freak Radiogirl), but it's just an uncomfortable thing all weekend long. It hurts when I move my right arm. Central line is just below my right clavicle. I had a somewhat hard time sleeping last night, couldn't sleep on my side, which is how I always sleep. But, I figure tonight and tomorrow night won't be very restful anyways as my surgery approaches on Monday. But, way I see it, now that the Central line is in, I'm that much closer to getting this all behind me! So, if that's what it takes, bring it on. (easy for me to say now probably! Ha!) I'm sure the Central line will be better than having a needle stuck in your arm for 7-10 days. And, I have to say, also, the dr that did my central line (don't recall his name) said he used to work for Dr. Lenke, but he couldn't keep up with him with all the hours, so now he does central lines. He had nothing but raving things to say about Dr. Lenke and literally answered any questions I had during the whole central line procedure. And, the shot to relax me before the central line and during made me real sleepy afterwards, came back to the hotel and took a nice long nap like a good little girl!!!!
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46

Comment

Hi Rita-

Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery on Monday! Keep us posted!! I was wondering about the central line that you had today. Is it normal to have it inserted 2 days before surgery? I haven't heard about it before. I thought you just go into the hospital the morning before surgery and that is it. Are you having something special done?

Anyway, best of luck to you! You are lucky, you are almost on the other side! I have to wait until June!

Take care,
                JenM
                Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Good Luck Rita!

Thinking of you as your surgery day approaches...good luck and I know you will keep us posted as you come out of your dreamy state.....
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Mine was put in the Friday before my Monday surgery. It was sort of annoying since it showed above my clothes I had brought and I had to go to some things with relatives that live there. Should have brought a turtle neck. Forgot all about that until now. Oh, well it was no biggie and looked like I'd had something impressive done--no, that was still coming! Rita, on the sleeping I am one who can't sleep the night before big events at all so I was prepared to just rest and be awake all night. I think that's when that calm thing hit me--I actually slept! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hey Janet,
                      Good to hear from you. I'm still waiting for that calm to hit. Haven't found that yet. yeah - Dr. Lenke said he always puts the line in Friday before surgery on Monday because Friday is when the professionals put it in and professionals they were! They never hurt me once! It's some uncomfortable now - but, really not bothering me too much. And, I actually took a nap on my side this afternoon for about 30 minutes so I think tonight I'll probably be able to roll over should I happen to sleep some - who knows.

Hey All,
                      Thanks for all the encouraging words. I appreciate it so much. I will be having my husband post as soon as he can after my surgery. Of course, I've given him a lengthy list of folks to call first so that will keep him busy for a while. Lots of friends! I appreciate you all thinking of me and I will be sooooooo glad to be on the "other side"!!!!!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46

Comment

I will be thinking of you Rita, and have been thinking of you wondering how you're getting on. What exactly is a central line? I've never heard of it? Is it like a filter to prevent blood clotting?
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Just wanted to pop in and say thinking about you and Good luck tomorrow!! Will wait to hear from you on the other side. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dee
                          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Just wanted to say Good luck tomorrow and hope that all goes well .

Soon we will be hearing from you on the other side

Melissa

Comment

Rita, My thoughts are prayers are also with you. You've picked such a great surgeon - how can you not have a great outcome? Best wishes, Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X