People who've been fused T2 to sacrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who've been fused T2 to sacrum

I wondered what your flexibility is like after this surgery? I was told today that I will be fused from T2 to sacrum, so I wondered as I love to do yoga, whether I'll ever be able to do that again. Will I ever be able to sit in "Easy Pose" again, meditation pose (if you know what I mean)? Will I ever be able to do any of the yoga moves again? I know the doctor said I will definitely be able to swim which is great, because I love to do that, so at least I have that if nothing else

Also, anything else that you may think is good for me to know, please tell me tell me - okay? Thank you
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Lynette,
    Your having a longer fusion than me.I am fused T -10 to sacral pelvis.I cant comment on yoga because I have never did yoga.But I have lost alot of flexibility.I can put my shoes and socks on but it takes awhile.I can shave my legs but that is harder to do but I get it done.The only thing I am not able to do is my toe nails,so I just go get a pedicure.
    Sheri
    Aug.17,09 Anterior
    Aug.20,09 Posterior
    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
    Cedars-Sinai
    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
    Husband married 30 years
    3 kids 29,28,25
    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Lynette

It seems that the T2-Pelvis procedure is becoming quite popular now! LOL
      Here is a tread by started by dokam. There have been a few others here also.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10078

Im glad you are happy with Dr Cronin. Do you have his or his nurses e-mail address for questions? If so, ask him how long will my recovery be?

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed - I actually did ask that question and they said it just varies on each individual. Some people heal a lot quicker than others. Some can go back to work after eight weeks, while others can take longer. So - I will just keep a positive attitude and my determination to heal quickly and using hypnosis, so we'll see

Thanks for the link to that post, that was really helpful.

Ed - How long did it take for your spine to fuse?
        Last edited by LynetteG; 02-25-2010, 06:45 AM.
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

I fused in 6 months. They used BMP.

https://www.infusebonegraft.com/bone..._proteins.html
          https://www.infusebonegraft.com/how_infuse_works.html

They used NO bone on me. I had some extensive low end work done, and BMP was selected. My x-ray is in my first thread.

Without BMP figure 12 months.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I will be fused T1 to sacrum on March 11

Melissa

Comment

hi lynette...
              been following your situation with interest...i wish you a smooth surgery...and uneventful and rapid recovery!

i think whatever flexibility is lost is a trade off...that is necessary if the surgery is necesary...
              of course, they say that one can still bend at the hips...Ed would be a good person to ask...as he reports skiing, snorkeling, scuba diving & all that stuff!
              surgeons i have consulted tell me i still have alot of flexibility in my spine, all things considered (the scoli, arthritis, stenosis, etc etc)...but i have lost so many activities...had to retire early from work due to pain, can no longer work out at gym for same reason...means that the flexibility i have left aint doin' me all that much good right now......
              i guess the possiblity of not being able to do some activities has to be considered before surgery...just to be ready for all contingencies...a trade off one must consider, i suppose...to try to avoid surprises as much as is possible....
              i have been using pain management while i struggle with my decision to have surgery...i know it is only a temporary stop gap...but it aint stoppin' much lately!.........

best regards....
              jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 03-01-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Jess - when you're in that much pain I feel that it's time to get surgery, because already your quality of life is suffering. I don't feel as much pain as many others do right now, but boy each and every day is getting worse and worse, just doing laundry, and cooking dinner, when I'm standing for more than ten minutes I hurt bad now, and I want to be able to do fun stuff with my boys and have a bright future please God, not a very painful very deformed future with possibility of my abdominal organs lifting up to eventually crush my heart and lungs - definitely not an option for me. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't scared, but lately I get through my days really well just enjoying my sons as much as I can. But it's the nights that are killing me, I can't sleep and lay there with pretty bad anxiety, probably should get myself something from the doc' for that. I'll be seeing my doc' soon so I'll ask for some anxiety pills I think
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

The best way to deal with anxiety is to start walking, or pump iron.

Don’t run to your GP looking for drugs..... The next thing you know, you are taking 30 pills a day, and you wont know your name, like some of my neighbors.

The Docs don’t like it when you walk into surgery with a mix of chemicals in your system. It only complicates matters...
                  Ed

My x-rays

Comment

some people are now in too much pain to walk...is that your situation, lynette?

it is mine by now...

jess

Comment

I'm not fused down to Pelvis, but my doctor recommended it. We talked and talked about the consequences of going down to pelvis or not. He advised me that if I don't do it now, I might need another operation in the future. I told him that I prefer not to go down to pelvis, because of the lack of flexibility, being only 38 years old. We made a deal, that if the disc wasn't too bad, he would go down to L5. I was happy with the operation because of the L5 fused, but I still run the risk of having another surgery in the future, but hope new surgical procedures will be in place by then.

I went on my first 2 mile walk this morning! I had my surgery on December 9th. I quit my pain meds two days ago, cold turkey, so feeling all withdrawls symptoms.

good luck on your surgery

rich

Comment

I have to say, taking one anti-anxiety pill a day wasn't a concern for my doctor and it made a huge difference to me, getting through the time to surgery. At that time I had 8 months to wait and I am very grateful for the meds being available and I did not increase from my one per day, nor did I want any increase.

I took my last anti-anxiety pill the day before surgery.

I also got fit, and I know that was a big help as well. I was very calm and positive going into surgery, a complete turnaround from the year before when I was told I needed the surgery. I always recommend fitness if pain permits.
                        Last edited by JenniferG; 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jess - You're right walking is very painful for me now - so is swimming believe it or not. However, I'm still walking about 40 minutes every day, or I will swim about 60 laps in the pool if I get a chance to get to a pool while the kids are at school. I'm determined to go into that surgery in as great health as I can be. I've decided against the anxiety pills anyway Ed, I really don't like taking pills of any kind unless I absolutely have to.
                          Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Jess
                            If you cannot walk and the quality of your life is being compromised that much, it sounds just like my story. I waited a long time and couldn’t hang any longer.
                            When life gets too painful, we have to be very brave..... I would not reverse my decision on my surgeries. Totally satisfied. It didn’t happen overnight, that’s for sure, but now Im confident in my statement. Being fused all the way down for me, is not a problem at all really. I don’t even think about it any more.

Rich
                            Good news on quitting the meds. When I quit, the pain increased for a few days, then after, the improvement was rapid. Your 3 months. Congrats.

Lynette
                            Yes, that’s what Im saying. Should have worded it differently. "If you don’t have to" or "as a last ditch effort". Exercise is so important. At least walking or some sort of movement.

Jen
                            Your 1 year is coming up. Thought Id remind you. Ha Ha On a percentage improvement rating, how would you rate yourself? Or, how far along do you feel you are in your recovery?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

surgeons i have consulted tell me i still have alot of flexibility in my spine, all things considered (the scoli, arthritis, stenosis, etc etc)...but i have lost so many activities...had to retire early from work due to pain, can no longer work out at gym for same reason...means that the flexibility i have left aint doin' me all that much good right now......
                              i guess the possiblity of not being able to do some activities has to be considered before surgery...just to be ready for all contingencies...a trade off one must consider, i suppose...to try to avoid surprises as much as is possible....
                              i have been using pain management while i struggle with my decision to have surgery...i know it is only a temporary stop gap...but it aint stoppin' much lately!.........

best regards....
                              jess
                              Jess, I would be concerned that if you can't exercise anymore, might you just lose the flexibility that you have now if you wait too long to have surgery? Just wondering. Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                              X