Pre-surgery xrays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-surgery xrays...

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board and have surgery scheduled in a few weeks. In case anyone wants to see some pre surgery x-rays, I'll attach one of mine here...I have most of them so if anyone wants other views I'll be glad to attach them. I'm told my lumbar curve is about 65 degrees, thoracic about 40 degrees. I'll be fused from T-10 to pelvis.
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Welcome Nitram,I sent you a reply to your message let me know if you got it.Wow you have a big curve.
    Sheri
    Aug.17,09 Anterior
    Aug.20,09 Posterior
    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
    Cedars-Sinai
    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
    Husband married 30 years
    3 kids 29,28,25
    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Hi Sherri, just responded to your PM. It will be interesting to see what kind of correction they can get...my curve is apparently very stiff from the bone spurs I guess that have grown on the inside of the curve. The crazy thing is, I have no pain....no real issues at all. That makes doing this a bit tough to swallow...but everything I have read indicates its the right thing to do now before I get any older (I'm 41 now).

Comment

Hi Nitram
        Welcome to the forum! it is a wonderful place for sharing information, experiences, & support!

i read your post with interest..... i have a 40 degree thoracic & 61 degree lumbar curve, with rotation, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, listhesis...

BUT...difference is...i have extreme pain...all the time...i am so amazed (and glad for you) that you do not! lumbar area is really bad...the thoracic is treated with botox shots to freeze muscles so they cant spasm..and it works well...i get the shots from nyc pain doctor every 3-4 months...we tried, but they didnt work for lower back! i get other injections in lower back, but they dont work as well for killing the pain....

i am supposed to have T11-S1 & L4-sacrum, w/bilateral pelvic fixation, if/when i have the surgery! sooooo...i went to CA to consult with dr anand regarding minimal invasive...will discuss possiblilities with my nyc surgeon at apr 12 appt.

best of luck in all your decsions
        jess

Comment

Hi Nitram

Nice one. Looks like that curve could be a problem without surgery in the future.

I went up to 70, and my pain issues started at age 41 and progressively got worse as I aged. I ended up with major sciatica which is very tough to deal with.

We have a great bunch here. If you have questions, ask away.

Welcome to the forum
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            Hi Nitram

BUT...difference is...i have extreme pain...all the time...i am so amazed (and glad for you) that you do not! lumbar area is really bad...the thoracic is treated with botox shots to freeze muscles so they cant spasm..and it works well...i get the shots from nyc pain doctor every 3-4 months...we tried, but they didnt work for lower back! i get other injections in lower back, but they dont work as well for killing the pain....

Hi Jess, I'm so sorry your having so much pain, hearing that reminds me how fortunate I am. What you describing is my fear if I don't do something now which is why I'm going to get 'r done. I'll be curious to compare notes as it sounds like our situations are very similar. Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Take Care,

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Hi Nitram

Nice one. Looks like that curve could be a problem without surgery in the future.

I went up to 70, and my pain issues started at age 41 and progressively got worse as I aged. I ended up with major sciatica which is very tough to deal with.

We have a great bunch here. If you have questions, ask away.

Welcome to the forum
              Ed
              Thanks Ed, I appreciate the support.

Rich

Comment

Good luck Nitram,

For me, my upper curve was very stiff and was able to be corrected from 66 to 34. The bottom curve was also 66, and he corrected to 22. It could have corrected more but then I would have been unbalanced.

If you think about it, our bodies are amazing. My top major curve got bad on it's own, and the bottom compensatory curve adjusted so that I wouldn't have to walk around unevenly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good for you that you're moving forward and doing the surgery. My lumbar didn't give me pain when it was in the 60's either but by the time it progressed to 90 degrees, I was hurting. I was in denial for a long time. Best wishes for a successful surgery--you'll be glad you did it.

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                  X