PDA

View Full Version : The Book! eeeK

megz
02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
This is for all your ladies and gents that are about to undergo your operation..I remember reading on here about people bragging about the "Scoliosis Surgery" written by someone that had under gone..Well I went out and purchased it spent the whole day reading it and I swear I think it did worse damage for me..I had to end up having my anxiety meds up because I wasn't sleeping and having horrible panic attacks.. Anyways if there is anyone who is interested in this book I would love to just give it to you and get it out of my sight. I guess I just dont want to know in details what they are going to do to me..Now that I am on the otherside I'm ok lol .. But if you are scared and want to know details about what they do this is the book for you..Seriously let me know I will ship it out ASAP. Otherwise I throwing it to goodwill But I would rather see someone on here that is about to have surgery find some good use =) I hope I didnt scare anyone:p lol

xox megz

Vali
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Can't comment yet, haven't finished it!
Stay tuned.

megz
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
omg let me know how you liked it..What do you think so far?!

Nitram
02-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I guess everyone has their own perspectives on these things, but I LOVED the book. I want to know as much as I can about what they are going to do to me....heck, if I can get someone in the OR take a picture of my back all opened up so I can see exactly what it looks like with all the rods and screws in there, I'd love it! Guess that's why I'm a geek...I love to know the details and understand everything as much as I can. It makes me feel better to know, and see, what it really looks like.

If you want a lot of detailed info in layman's terms, its a great book. If you'd rather now know the details, as megz says, stay far away from the book.

joyfull
02-24-2010, 09:28 PM
MegZ, I agree, and I think I'd rather read something interesting and relaxing than scare myself with the gory details. I trust that my surgeon, Dr. Lonner, knows what he is doing. I've been hesitant to get the book, and now I know why. Best, Joy

LynetteG
02-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Nitram - I'm a lot like you. I have to know every detail of what they are doing to me, I've even watched real surgeries of fusions on the internet. For some reason when I know what's going to happen I feel better, just because I'm aware. I know everyone is different, and can totally understand why some people would prefer not to know. I'm just a massive researcher when it comes to anything I'm going to do or anything that happens to me. When I first got pregnant years ago, I think I read every single pregnancy book on the market :). Anyway I thought that the book "Scoliosis Surgery" was excellent by David Wolpert, but only for people who really want to know every single detail about the surgery and what happens to you in the hospital pre-op and post-op etc.

txmarinemom
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I guess everyone has their own perspectives on these things, but I LOVED the book. I want to know as much as I can about what they are going to do to me....heck, if I can get someone in the OR take a picture of my back all opened up so I can see exactly what it looks like with all the rods and screws in there, I'd love it!

I did have mine photographed ... and am SO glad I did. Like you, I wanted the details.

megz
02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I did have mine photographed ... and am SO glad I did. Like you, I wanted the details.

do you actually have the pictures to view?! It would be neat to see since its now done and over with.

txmarinemom
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
do you actually have the pictures to view?! It would be neat to see since its now done and over with.

Yes ... email me (in my sig) for the password.

megz
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Yes ... email me (in my sig) for the password.

emailed =)

Nitram
02-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Nice! Did it help you to see it afterward to know what was in there?

I haven't talked to the surgeon yet about the pics...but I intend to next week. I'm really hoping he'll have someone do it. I have a list of questions to email him...need to make sure that's on the list.

debbei
02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm a control freak, so I do better knowing what is ahead. I studied those 2 books like crazy.

jrnyc
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
could someone name the author of the book written by a patient...i've only read the ones written by scoli surgeons..?

wow...you guys must have really strong stomachs! i wouldnt be able to see pix of anybody opened up like that...even without blood (?) i would just about faint! most times i want to know exactly what is going to be done to me...but the scoli surgery...i would want general, and only general details...til afterwards...then i might want specific details...i think if they gave me the specifics ahead of time...i would faint first, wake up, and say "See 'ya later!!"....:eek: I cant even watch when the vet has to do anything to my little puppy!

jess

Nitram
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
could someone name the author of the book written by a patient...i've only read the ones written by scoli surgeons..?

wow...you guys must have really strong stomachs! i wouldnt be able to see pix of anybody opened up like that...even without blood (?) i would just about faint! most times i want to know exactly what is going to be done to me...but the scoli surgery...i would want general, and only general details...til afterwards...then i might want specific details...i think if they gave me the specifics ahead of time...i would faint first, wake up, and say "See 'ya later!!"....:eek: I cant even watch when the vet has to do anything to my little puppy!

jess

David Wolpert wrote the book I read named "Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference""....he had the surgery himself and wrote the book for others going through it.

debbei
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM

jess

I also read The Scoliosis Sourcebook, by my surgeon. I read and re-read both these books prior to surgery. They helped give me a sense of peace--for me, knowledge does that.

http://www.amazon.com/Scoliosis-Sourcebook-Michael-Neuwirth/dp/0737303212

megz
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Jess I have that book scoliosis surgery if you want it..lol I want to get it out of my sight lol =) let me know if you want it I will mail it to you (=

jrnyc
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
thanks, megz...i just checked my bookcase......i have the book! read it about a year ago, when i started seriously investigating the surgery.........it was scary, but i didnt realize that the good doctor had the surgery himself!

after i read it, i wanted to read dr neuwirth's book too..havent gotten around to getting my hands on it yet...havent tried very hard, really....i think reading wolpert's book was a little much for me....:eek:

jess