Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brace how long did it take to ween yourself off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace how long did it take to ween yourself off?

I had surgery in Aug.and I am still wearing my brace.My surgeon said I can start weening myself and I'm wondering how long it took those of you to completely ween yourself off?
    Aug.17,09 Anterior
    Aug.20,09 Posterior
    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
    Cedars-Sinai
    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
    Husband married 30 years
    3 kids 29,28,25
    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

There was a weekly schedule I followed, decreasing the number of hours each day that I wore my brace. I followed it for 4 weeks and then was weaned. I remember that it was really hard at the beginning of each week, but then you got used to it by the end of the week. It's amazing how your body gets used to the support the brace provides! It'll take a little getting used to, but it's also exciting knowing you'll be ready to be "on your own" soon. Best wishes!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

When I got the OK to start weaning, I didn't get any instructions. I started off slowly for the first day or two, as I had come to actually like the brace. After a few days, however, I started enjoying the freedom, and was completely out of the brace within a week of starting.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sheri- now that I think about it a little more, my fusion was a lot longer than yours is, so you probably won't have the same feeling of "tired back" that I did. By the end of each day I just wanted to rest my back and have that support from the brace. Linda-- I'm curious about the extent of your fusion, and whether that really has anything to do with it or not. My fusion is close to 20"-- from T2-L4.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie-I am fused T10 to sacral pelvis so I am trying to get used to alot of things I could do before surgery that I have problems with now.
          Aug.17,09 Anterior
          Aug.20,09 Posterior
          Cedars-Sinai
          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
          Husband married 30 years
          3 kids 29,28,25
          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Linda-I feel like I could ween from the brace fast but driving makes me nervous.I have a camaro so it is low to the ground it takes a while to get in and out.
            Aug.17,09 Anterior
            Aug.20,09 Posterior
            Cedars-Sinai
            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
            Husband married 30 years
            3 kids 29,28,25
            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Sherie,

I wore mine for several months, I think 4 or five months. When my Doc., told me I could start taking it off a few hours of each day. That lasted about a week, I hated it.

My only problem was that if there was no one to help me, I couldn't get it off.
              The velcro they used on my turtle shell must have been made at NASA. I didn't have enough strenght to pull the damn thing off.

But once I got it off for a little while, I couldn't wait to hang it up for good.

All the best,
              Shari

Comment

I dislike my brace and cannot wait to begin weening myself off of it. I am then going to take it out to the bush and shoot it with my dad's anti-tank rifle!
                45L/40T
                Surgery 25/1/2010
                Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I loved my brace and had a hard time giving it up. i stopped wearing it in the house but would wear it out and when driving. eventually it became more comfortable with it off than on. i loved wearing it out and having people stare at me and then start to move away wondering what the hell it was. I have fond memories of it.
                  avis
                  1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                  2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                  2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Jimbo you are hilarious - that poor brace being taken to the bush and shot

Avis that's funny too - I think I'd get a kick out of that too
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I also weaned myself off the brace very gradually starting at around 3 months post-op, as it took a while for my core muscles to adjust to the lack of support. After I stopped wearing it around the house, I still wore it driving for about 5 months after that, and I probably wore it for almost a year whenever I used the treadmill. I keep it in the trunk of my car just to remind myself how far I've come!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

my brace

I wore my brace for 3 months to the day and then I banned it to the basement where it remains to this day! I hated it! I don't know why I keep it. I hated people staring at me in my brace while hobbling about on my walker or cane. My doc gave me no instructions to wean. Just said wear it for 3 months so that is what I did, to the day! Lol!
                        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I wore a brace for three months. At my three-month post-op appointment my surgeon said I could get rid of that thing now. I think I wore it off and on for a couple of weeks afterwards and then hung it up on a hook in my garage where it remains.

Comment

Thank you to all of your posts..... Jimbo you are so funny!I just woke up this morning and decided I just dont want to wear my turtle shell (brace) anymore LOL....I have already wore it for 6 months.I drove my car, went shopping, out to breakfast and love the freedom.I am a fairly shy person so I did not like people starring at me or having to explain why I had to wear that brace.I think I will give my daughter my brace since she has wanted to decorate it LOL....I will post pics when she is done.
                            Thanks again,
                            Sheri
                            Aug.17,09 Anterior
                            Aug.20,09 Posterior
                            Cedars-Sinai
                            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                            Husband married 30 years
                            3 kids 29,28,25
                            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
                              My only problem was that if there was no one to help me, I couldn't get it off.
                              The velcro they used on my turtle shell must have been made at NASA. I didn't have enough strenght to pull the damn thing off.

OMG the freakin turtle shell!! YESSS.. I have the same freakin problem why do they have to make the velcro so tight i swear i'm gonna pop a screw trying to unvelcro.. When I first was in the brace I so felt like a turtle on its back with its little legs kicking trying to get up..it was soo hard, but I have since conquered this lol Halloween I'm painting it green and going as a ninja turtle ;-) AWESOME!!

27 year old female
                              Upper Curve 110 degrees
                              Lower Curve 90 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                              Fused T2-Pelvis
                              Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X